“The Staff Really Make This a 5 Star Experiance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lombardy

You added Hotel Lombardy to your Saves list
Hotel Lombardy
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2019 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20006 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Romantic DC Getaway
Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
new jersey
“The Staff Really Make This a 5 Star Experiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

In the middle of the Foggy Bottom district of DC is this unassuming hotel that really shocks you as to how nice people can be. And sometimes- as it is here- it's real. The employees at this hotel really make-it-right by going out of their way. Rooms are a little tired. Hallways a bit noisy. But otherwise a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments. We strive to provide outstanding service to all of our guests. We look forward to having you say with us again soon.

Corrado Palenzona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We travel to DC probably 2x per year and other than the Mayflower have never found a hotel that we would really stay in a second time. But now we have. We came for the Inauguration and found the hotel while searching for a great location, nice amenities and price point that we could live with. The staff was wonderful, our room was wonderful and the location could not be beat - great access to both the Red and Orange/Blue Metro lines, walking distance to Georgetown and Dupont Circle - what's not to like! Food was terrific, the bar was cozy with a very personable bartender. We were there for five days and loved every minute of it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and are delighted that you chose us and will stay with us again. We look forward to having you back.

Middletown, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here over New Year's Eve and enjoyed it. The rooms were decorated very nicely though I would have liked it if the bathroom was a little nicer (very basic) but it was very clean and had a lot of counter space. The bed was comfortable and the room was surprisingly quiet, especially since it was facing the street and there was a large/loud group of people staying on our floor but we could only hear them in the hallway and were glad that we couldn't hear them from inside the room. We were able to snag a parking spot right out front which saved us a significant amount for parking, not sure we would have been happy having to valet park every time we came/went because it seemed like it would have been a hassle. The location of the hotel was really good, within walking distance to the major sights and a very short drive to Georgetown. There is a Starbucks right around the corner and Founding Farmers is directly across the street, which is a fabulous restaurant that I highly recommend. The only disappointment was the lounge area. The photos online made it look much nicer than it actually was. It was very small and looked much more outdated than the sophisticated vintage style it appears to be online. Also we noticed while outside that some of the rooms have windows in the shower and that the entire street got a view of the person showering - I would not have felt comfortable in that shower after seeing how exposed you are. Thankfully ours was private. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel - it was a really great choice for the price (we paid $88 even over NYE).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have a window in the shower becuase everyone on the street can see your...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Hotel Lombardy. Washington, DC is a great place to be to bring in the New Year. We hope that you will come and visit us again soon.

Piedmont, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at the former apartment building turned hotel. Really like that its not like every other large hotel you can find in any big city. I like the decor, antiques and little bit of funk. Some reviewers complain no one helped them with their bags. The door man took ours up after we checked in. The service is excellent. The staff seems to like their jobs and always in a good mood. I loved the location - 2 blocks from the Metro, close to the White House and across the street from Founding Farmers. The food is very good. If you are at all interested in going, make a reservation, I don't know if you can get a table without one - even for lunch.

Our first night at Lombardy we noticed one side of the bed sloped a bit. It was late and I didn't want to change rooms so I shoved one of the many pillows between the mattress and box springs. The next morning I realized the box springs were broken. Not by us, I swear! The tub also drained slow. I called down and while we were at breakfast, they fixed both issues.

The room has a coffee pot and I used it to heat water for tea. The water tasted like coffee so I think the pot could use a good cleaning. Only real complaint I have is the room service is very limited. We didn't eat in their restaurant but did order coffee each morning - it was good and the delivery was speedy. We ate at Founding Farmer's, Aroma (good and cheap Indian food), Paul for a nice french breakfast and Pret a Manger right by the Metro stop.

The hotel has loaner umbrellas but not many of them so if its raining, get one early. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks you for your feedback. I am glad that your issues were addressed immediately, our goals is to provide outstanding service to all of our guests. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

There were good things about this hotel - perfectly clean room, and great location, within walking distance of the sights and many restaurants and a wholefoods market nearby; room was an OK size (if not spacious) with large bed; nice toiletries in the bathroom; professional and polite reception staff (if unsmiling). But I'm still not sure I'd return.

I had a room on the top floor, and I think my biggest gripe was that everything in the room seemed really badly designed. The lighting was poor - apart from one overhead light in the porchy-bit by the door, the room was lit only by one bedside light and one desk lamp. Which was fine when relaxing in the evening, but a real pain when trying to pack or unpack after dark, and while trying to extract clothes from my suitcase to dress in the morning (which had to be done with curtains firmly closed since the room was overlooked on all sides by offices). There was no full length mirror in the room, nor a minibar (if such things matter to you - and I did find it rather uncomfortable to have to head off for a business meeting with no clue what I looked like from the chest down!). The safe was in the little wardrobe, but on a podium so that I had to squash the few clothes I unpacked up against the wall so they could fall on either side of the safe and wouldn't crumple on the top of it. While the pillows were plentiful they were too thick to sleep on without seriously damaging the neck, so I slept for 3 nights just on the mattress. The heating system periodically made a dreadful racket. And, though I had no problem with the shower pressure, unlike other reviewers, it did take about 10 minutes every morning of fiddling with the taps to get the temperature right.

Reading that back it does all sound rather precious and petty, but I think the real problem with this hotel was a matter of expectation. This is not a cheap hotel, and for the price I was just expecting something a bit fancier and better organised. But if you have suitably low expectations then you might be perfectly happy with this hotel. Finally, like other reviewers I found some of the staff to be rather overly helpful. When leaving, the guys hanging around the front door insisted on whisking my suitcase out of my hands and out the front door, even though I needed to wait for an airport shuttle...just as well it was a sunny, warm day to wait outside...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

A great little boutique hotel close to the whitehoise and rest of mall.
Small rooms and bathrooms but who needs a big room in DC with so much to see and do. We were also able to get the state rate for my business travel. We couldn't quite pin down the 'style' of the decor as it was a little eclectic ... But just added to the charm of the place.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Lombardy for your stay. It gives me great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to having you stay again soon.

Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Lombardy during Inauguration week, and overall, had a great experience! Our room was actually a one bedroom suite, with a nice foyer, and a good sized living room overlooking Pennsylvania Ave, where we were able to view some of the bands who performed in the Inaugural Parade, as they came to the end of the parade route. Living room had sofabed, desk/chair, nice sized coffee table, and extra parlor chair. Bathroom was small, but adequate, pantry area was nice, with mini-bar, coffeemaker, and frig. Microwave would have been even better! Bed was very comfortable, flat-screen TV's in both rooms, and newspaper delivered daily. There was very little housekeeping noise during the early morning, and that, combined with great blackout drapes, caused us to oversleep nicely on a couple of mornings, when we didn't set the alarm. (: Housekeeping service overall was outstanding. Location is excellent, about 3 level blocks (yay! no hills!) from the Foggy Bottom Metro, with a few restaurants and a Whole Foods market just down the street, which came in VERY handy! One thing that did not go well was that on the one night that we called for a cab (Inauguration night, which was super busy) we specified to doorman that we wanted a regular cab, but we ended up in a "gypsy" cab with no meter, and ended up being charged an outrageous rate. We did not notice this until we were on our way, as it was bitterly cold that evening, and we just jumped in, trusting that the doorman had heeded our requests. We expressed this concern to the front desk clerk upon checkout, but she didn't seem too concerned, just said, "Well, that happens at inauguration and other busy times." Other than that one thing, the hotel was lovely, and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Definitely get the Parkview Suite---it cost only a little more than regular King, and it was much ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Lombardy. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon. In reference to the taxi cab service, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and wish that things could have worked out to your satisfaction, I do know that during an extremely busy time in the city especially in the winter months taxi cab availability can be much more limited due to high demand than it would be under normal circumstances.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Corrado Palenzona

Been to Hotel Lombardy? Share your experiences!