“Fun stop over...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lombardy

You added Hotel Lombardy to your Saves list
Hotel Lombardy
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2019 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20006 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Romantic DC Getaway
Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Hillsdale, New York
“Fun stop over...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I ended up staying in DC another night and thought I'd stay at the Lombardy. They had some great rates and a nice upgrade. I stayed in 403, a nice suite in the front of the building. I won't say what the rate was as it was a steal!

Most of the staff was very fussy; perfectly polite and professional, but lacking that personal feel. The only staff member that I liked was David at the Front Desk. He worked a double the day I checked in, and was as polite and gentle as anyone could wish. Plus, without making a big deal about it, he recognized me when I returned. He was quietly on top of things. THIS was how a weary traveler wants to be welcomed. The other lady at the front desk was intimidating and cold, AND loud. She had that stiff-four-star attitude that is more old world and less enjoyable to people that do not expect the staff to be treated as surfs. Unless you bark out orders, I don't think she would have heard you.

Loved the building. I like old. I like character. There is always a sacrifice when one would prefer history over flash, but it felt pretty good. Great colors and very easy feel. My favorite is the slatted doors to the guest rooms. No doubt this was dated back to old days when air needed to circulate in the summer. Of course the location is great - just up Penn from the White House, and the IMF building (great architecture) is almost across the street. Georgetown is also easy walking distance, and the Kennedy Center. The metro is just down the street.

Wonderful bed; nice, rich carpet, night lighting. LOTS of windows. You didn’t really have any great views, but it is nice to have some sunlight in the room when you wake in the morning.
Had room service; the crab cakes. LOTS of crab, perfectly seasoned, great dish. I had a salad too, but it wasn’t very crisp. Reasonable price and it was so nice to eat in. I had breakfast in the morning in the dining room. I had their famous French Toast and it was tasty ($14). Loved the little restaurant. Very small room, seats 36. It would be a bit tight if it was full, but pleasant I think. I would go back. I didn’t like the fact that they include the 18% gratuity on the bill in the restaurant (expected with Room Service). One likes to tip… and it is more fun to tip big when it is a gift. If they just include it, one feels a little sour. Perhaps they have a clientele that tips poorly? Not a good message really.

Negatives? Well, as I said, the staff needs to lighten up. While typical, I find $4 M&Ms to be a burden. It is sad that they try to make money on a candy bar (one feels nickeled and dimed). I don't drink, but it could be a $12 drink if you add the soft drink. Newspaper at the door was nice, but it was a waste for someone that does this online.

Also, Penn avenue is loud. Sirens a good part of the night. This is to be expected in the city, and one gets used to it. Overall, I really did like it. I would certainly return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is the second week long stay I have had at the lombardy in the past year. I had high expectations--and was not disappointed. This is a lovely, comfortable and very quiet eurpoean style hotel in the heart of NW DC. The room is well appointed with beautiful antique style furnishings--but with modern comforts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are delighted to hear that enjoyed your stay. e look forward to having you stay with us again.

Cavalier, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had a wonderful 5 night stay in this lovely hotel located in a historic building. The location is near two metro stops and has lots of dining and bar establishments nearby. Right across the street is a nice pocket park for a little green in an the middle of a urban core.

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. We welcome you back anytime.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel about a decade ago and was excited to revisit to see how things had changed. It's still a great place with lots of character. I was disappointed that they'd removed the old-fashioned, manual elevator. There are now two standard elevators in its place, one small and the other coffin-like, but I suppose the space was what it was and it's certainly a better idea to have two elevators than one.
We booked the smallest-sized room, which was nice and clean, recently updated, and plenty spacious enough for an overnight.
Great hotel, close or walking distance to many things and with character that can be hard to find these days. I hope I don't wait another decade to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for coming back, especially after a decade! We appreciate you giving us your feed back. The elevators was definitely a part of the charm and character of the hotel but with much thought and consideration for our guest the decision was made to change them. We hope to see you again soon in the very near future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was our second trip to DC with the whole family and our second stay at the Hotel Lombardy. We had such a great experience our first time here 17 months ago, we were looking forward to our return over Thanksgiving week. It was a delight to see the same helpful and courteous staff upon our arrival. It was more like a homecoming than just checking in to a hotel. We even got our same room. The room was large, clean, and wifi service worked well. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was excellent. They modified the menu for the kids, and the service from Muhammed was exceptional. The location is excellent. There is a lot within walking distance and nearby metro and bus service. We will definitely be staying here again on our next vacation to our nation's capital.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share the details about your stay.. We do like to make our guest feel at home when they visit our hotel, and we strive to always provide the highest level of customer service at all times. I will be sure to let Mohammad know that you were pleased with his service, he is definitely a great asset to the Hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Spent the past weekend at the Lombardy for a mini-reunion with friends, and had a very good time. The hotel is located in a fantastic location (I trained it into DC and took the metro from Union Station to the Foggy Bottom station, only a couple of blocks from the hotel...couldn't have been easier), it's spotless, has a great bar and lounge for pre- or post-dinner drinks ( thanks, Tillman, you make a mean Manhattan!), and while we didn't dine at the hotel (went out to some old favorites in nearby Georgetown), I did take a look and the dining room looked very inviting. Didn't have much interaction with the staff ( other than the bartender), but everyone I DID meet was nice. The bathroom was very large (from my NYC perspective), the king bed and plush pillows were wonderfully sleep inducing, and if it wasn't for the " new paint" fumes greeting me on my initial arrival on my floor (would have been nice to have alerted me to same upon checkin(was not detectable from inside room, however, and it eventually dissipated)) I would have given 5stars. Nice, reasonably-priced hotel. Check them out.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you so much for you feedback. Great location definitely is one way to describe our hotel. We also strive to provide outstanding service and a great atmosphere for our guest, our staff go above and beyond to make sure that the hotel is in tip top shape, we do our best to complete any maintenance issues, such as paint touch ups prior to check-in time, sometimes it's a little hard but it is with good intention. I apologize if it caused you any inconvenience. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Coaardo Palenzona
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1,064 helpful votes 1,064 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

They say location is important, as indeed it is. The Lombardy is located on Pennsylvania Avenue about half a mile from the White House. Lot's of stores and restaurants around so plenty to see, although the hotel is in a quiet location which is good. Front office staff were excellent and so helpful. Breakfast was not included in the room price(unlike in Europe) and was average at best and also expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lombardy? Share your experiences!