“"L' Enfant was a treat!” 5 of 5 stars

L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 L'Enfant Plaza, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Ranked #107 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
South of Boston, MA
“"L' Enfant was a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

We stayed June 15-19, '05 first for a 2 day convention, and then cancelled a reservation at the Holiday Inn and stayed the next 2 days because we were so pleased with the hotel, staff and restaurants.

(We had previously seen a very negative review re:the hotel not being up to Loew's standards - the Loew's name had just come off the hotel as it changed ownership - noting rude statff etc. and so we booked the HI in case the stay during the 2 day convention proved out that review)

We arrived on Wednesday about 1 :15pm and did have to wait for our room so we had lunch in the main reataurant...service was good, and all food fresh, well prepared and very good...the prices are typical of hotels, but not overly high. The room was ready at the end of lunch as promised.

Our room was really spectacular; at the conferece rate and then on the weekend at a lowered AAA rate, we had a room that was huge (over 22 X 20) plus additional dressing area with bureau, and a foyer with table and mirror. There was also a small 8x5 area where a rollaway could have been placed if needed. The bathroom was divided into a toilet/bath area and a seperate large sink area. There was even a washer dryer in the bathroom which was out of service but we did not expect or need. There was an iron and board as well as a hairdryer. There was also a TV in the sink area, as well as 2 phones in the room.

The King bedroom included the usual side tables, writing desk, small dining table with chairs and a bench at the foot of the bed. The armoire included an honor bar with extra stock in 2 drawers and a refrig of cold beverages..also TV and bureaus.

The pool on the roof was a great spot for a swim and included a lifeguard, towels, plenty of loungers and charirs, a bar and a BBQ with a small but adequate menu. There could have been a few umbrellas as there is no shade as the plantings are small.

The entire hotel was spotless and well-maintained. The staff was polite, often friendly, and all were attentive. One night I did have to call twice for a breakfast menu because the maid forgot to leave one. Housekeeper did apologize when she discovered I had to call twice and the menu then arrived most promptly.

We frequented the main dining room for dinner as a group of six one night, also had lunch 2 more times, stopped in the martini bar once and had drinks and small bites late one afternoon in the regular bar...drinks were perfect as ordered, food was fresh, good and service was attentive. Breakfast from room service were exactly on time, generous and delicious. Yes, there is an 18% SC and a 2.50 del charge but it is so stated on the order sheet. There was also a "coffee and" bar set up every morning in the lobby if one decided to grab and go.

The train station is located 1.5 blocks away and if you are located on the Smithsonian side of the building, you might hear it (no big deal at all)but I wouldn't have traded our huge room for anything. The hotel is located 2 short blocks from the main Smithsonian and the Mall. It is also located right on top of the metro system at (naturally) at the L'Enfant Station exit...so entirely convenient as the Metro is easy to use and connects to everything one wants to see in DC.

We went to Georgetown by cab one night but returned via the metro. The station/plaza below is full of shoppes with lots of fast food places but they do close once the commuters from offices nearby are gone...not sure exactly what time, though.

There is a large (for an in-town hotel) grassy area in front of the hotel and stroll ing area around the perimeter ; nice for a stroll at night without actually being out on the street as this area is one level up from the street and private to the hotel.

The only negative comment I would offer at all is that sometimes the telephone operators were confused; encountered this once when we were there, and on 3 calls to make the reservations 2 months prior (got bounced around, put on hold, finally told I could not make a reservation for a conference unless I spoke to the conference staff and they were out on the weekends(!). )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Greek first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

We were a little daunted when we read some of the negative reviews of the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel a few days before our departure. But our experience during this visit and one in May was quite different than that described by those reviewers. We found the hotel staff to be helpful, pleasant and very professional. Our rooms were large, well-decorated and immaculate, and eating in the dining room and in our room was a first rate culinary experience. We knew from our visit in May that the price for breakfast was rather expensive, so for our second visit we chose a package that included breakfast and parking; considering the quality of the room and food, we considered it a bargain.

The location was perfect for our interests. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the war memorials and the National Gallery and Hirshorn and Sackler Museums. We are looking forward to a repeat visit next year.

• Stayed July 2005
London via North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

I have stayed in this hotel several times over the past three years for business and it gets worse and worse with each visit. This stay was the worst of all - I was moved rooms three times and still wound up checking into another hotel! The first two moves were drainage related - the sink wouldn't drain in one and the shower would not drain in the other. All three rooms showed signs of age, with stains on the carpet, furniture, and even the comforter. The veneer on the furniture was peeling and the armoire wood was cracked. After my first (and only) night on this stay I began to develop a rash on my leg - similar to another outbreak I had on my first visit three years (which at the time they blamed on insects in the lobby). To top it all off, they were doing work on the facade of the building that caused noise - they should start with re-vamping the inside!

Even though my week was paid for through work, I left and spent my own money at the Grand Hyatt Washington at Metro Center, which was a great hotel and an incredibly convenient location. Although I spend my time on the Mall at the museums for work (and L'Enfant's only appeal is that it is within walking distance to the Mall), it was just as easy to take two stops (about 10 minutes altogether) on the Metro to Smithsonian station.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

The L'Enfant needs an upgrade and overhall. It's worn out. My son and I stayed as it was close to the MCI Center. ( two metro stops) We were in town to attend the Tyson fight. I had booked the hotel weeks before using a discount on my auto club card. In checking in I was worn out from a almost 3 hour flight delay in Dallas( from L.A.) and simply signed the registration card without really reading it. At check out I found my discount was not included in the final tab. Thankfully, I had saved the registration I showed it to the desk clerk ,who seemed to think I was pulling a scam,to save $60.00 and questioned whether or not I had prepared it myself. She simply wanted to disregard their own document, and was totally disinterested. Her supervisor finally rectifed the oversight and was very professional.

However, altho' the rest of the staff was nice the hotel offers little to the tourist except access to the Metro. The " mall" is a joke also rundown and wornout. It is really a hotel for a businessperson who needs quick access to the office complex and the airport.

Stayed June 2005
Jacksonville, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

After reading in several tour guides that the Loew's L'Enfant location was wonderful for families, we unfortunately found otherwise. The L'Enfant is located atop a metro station and an underground "mall", but aside from the convenience of the train, the mall is a joke. It all but closes down from late Friday afternoon through Sunday. It houses several "restaurants" like McDonalds, but the shops are few and some appear to be going out of business.

Additionally, the office plaza location is terrible for families in our opinion. Once five o'clock rolls around, very few people remain in and around the plaza area which creates a feeling of isolation. My family and I walked to most of the sightseeing destinations, as we'd planned, though we felt quite uncomfortable returning in the early evening.

Loew's L'Enfant might be convenient for those attending conventions, but families should choose a more family-friendly destination.

• Stayed June 2005
Bixby, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

We stayed at the L'Enfante Plaza hotel, and I must say that I was a little concerned after reading previous reviews of the hotel before we left. However, I was pleasantly surprised with our stay. The hotel was in a great location, and although it was surrounded by office buildings, it was worth it to walk to all the sites. The shopping center found below the hotel (by taking the elevator) proved to be a fun shopping experience. Every site in Washington D.C. was beautiful, but the capitol was the best. I would recommend it to anyone. Because all the monuments were free, you are able to spend more money on fine dining and shopping. If you are in the mood for a beautiful building, see the Library of Congress, which was absolutely breathtaking. WE loved our trip and hope to go back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

I had a one night stay back in Feburary here, and enjoyed it throughly.

The hotel is large, although it only comprises the top 3 floors of the building. The lobby is spacious, well lit, and a nice place to sit or meet.

There are 2 restaurants, the selection is mediocore, but the food is good. I enjoyed a complimentary hot breakfast buffet in the morning, including everything you could want to eat.

The room was a standard king bedded room with a sitting area. It was spacious and clean, and the furnishing were nice, but nothing fantastic. The bathroom was large and well stocked.

I used the gym facility, and was pleased, it is in a small space, i think it was undergoing a renovation, so there was a lot of equipment in a small space.

Overall I was pleased with the space and the service and no problems.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business

Been to L'Enfant Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!