“Someone else was paying for it and it was so bad I still checked out!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of L'Enfant Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added L'Enfant Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 L'Enfant Plaza, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Ranked #108 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
London via North Carolina
“Someone else was paying for it and it was so bad I still checked out!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

I have stayed in this hotel several times over the past three years for business and it gets worse and worse with each visit. This stay was the worst of all - I was moved rooms three times and still wound up checking into another hotel! The first two moves were drainage related - the sink wouldn't drain in one and the shower would not drain in the other. All three rooms showed signs of age, with stains on the carpet, furniture, and even the comforter. The veneer on the furniture was peeling and the armoire wood was cracked. After my first (and only) night on this stay I began to develop a rash on my leg - similar to another outbreak I had on my first visit three years (which at the time they blamed on insects in the lobby). To top it all off, they were doing work on the facade of the building that caused noise - they should start with re-vamping the inside!

Even though my week was paid for through work, I left and spent my own money at the Grand Hyatt Washington at Metro Center, which was a great hotel and an incredibly convenient location. Although I spend my time on the Mall at the museums for work (and L'Enfant's only appeal is that it is within walking distance to the Mall), it was just as easy to take two stops (about 10 minutes altogether) on the Metro to Smithsonian station.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business

1,262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Greek first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

The L'Enfant needs an upgrade and overhall. It's worn out. My son and I stayed as it was close to the MCI Center. ( two metro stops) We were in town to attend the Tyson fight. I had booked the hotel weeks before using a discount on my auto club card. In checking in I was worn out from a almost 3 hour flight delay in Dallas( from L.A.) and simply signed the registration card without really reading it. At check out I found my discount was not included in the final tab. Thankfully, I had saved the registration I showed it to the desk clerk ,who seemed to think I was pulling a scam,to save $60.00 and questioned whether or not I had prepared it myself. She simply wanted to disregard their own document, and was totally disinterested. Her supervisor finally rectifed the oversight and was very professional.

However, altho' the rest of the staff was nice the hotel offers little to the tourist except access to the Metro. The " mall" is a joke also rundown and wornout. It is really a hotel for a businessperson who needs quick access to the office complex and the airport.

Stayed June 2005
Jacksonville, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

After reading in several tour guides that the Loew's L'Enfant location was wonderful for families, we unfortunately found otherwise. The L'Enfant is located atop a metro station and an underground "mall", but aside from the convenience of the train, the mall is a joke. It all but closes down from late Friday afternoon through Sunday. It houses several "restaurants" like McDonalds, but the shops are few and some appear to be going out of business.

Additionally, the office plaza location is terrible for families in our opinion. Once five o'clock rolls around, very few people remain in and around the plaza area which creates a feeling of isolation. My family and I walked to most of the sightseeing destinations, as we'd planned, though we felt quite uncomfortable returning in the early evening.

Loew's L'Enfant might be convenient for those attending conventions, but families should choose a more family-friendly destination.

• Stayed June 2005
Bixby, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

We stayed at the L'Enfante Plaza hotel, and I must say that I was a little concerned after reading previous reviews of the hotel before we left. However, I was pleasantly surprised with our stay. The hotel was in a great location, and although it was surrounded by office buildings, it was worth it to walk to all the sites. The shopping center found below the hotel (by taking the elevator) proved to be a fun shopping experience. Every site in Washington D.C. was beautiful, but the capitol was the best. I would recommend it to anyone. Because all the monuments were free, you are able to spend more money on fine dining and shopping. If you are in the mood for a beautiful building, see the Library of Congress, which was absolutely breathtaking. WE loved our trip and hope to go back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

I had a one night stay back in Feburary here, and enjoyed it throughly.

The hotel is large, although it only comprises the top 3 floors of the building. The lobby is spacious, well lit, and a nice place to sit or meet.

There are 2 restaurants, the selection is mediocore, but the food is good. I enjoyed a complimentary hot breakfast buffet in the morning, including everything you could want to eat.

The room was a standard king bedded room with a sitting area. It was spacious and clean, and the furnishing were nice, but nothing fantastic. The bathroom was large and well stocked.

I used the gym facility, and was pleased, it is in a small space, i think it was undergoing a renovation, so there was a lot of equipment in a small space.

Overall I was pleased with the space and the service and no problems.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

I stayed here with my 13 year old son on a sight-seeing visit over the Memorial Day weekend. I chose the hotel based on location, and price. ($135/Night including breakfast for 2 each day.) I knew prior to going that it was not a typical Loews quality hotel. I would not choose either this quality hotel or the office district location if traveling with my wife. The location is convenient to the metro, making getting around extremely easy.

A quick re-cap of our experience:

Check-in was time consuming.

All of the staff in this hotel are rather curt, unpolished and show a lack of training.

The room was clean and the linens were decent, but everything was on the edge of being shabby.

The maids yell at each other up and down the halls starting and about 8:00am and can be clearly heard inside the rooms.

The hotel ran out of hot water Sunday morning at peak shower time.

The breakfast buffet included with our rate was out of food when we went down. We decided not to wait for them to re-stock it

The fitness facility had no bottled water, as their vending machine has been out for some time. The rather surly attendant suggested that I could use the water fountain. My suggestion that perhaps she should go get some bottled water for her guests was met with silence.

Adequate hot water and food on the buffet the next day.

When we checked out, the front desk clerk asked if we had a pleasant stay. I replied that we did not, and was frankly surprised that the hotel flew a Loews flag.
She advised that as of the next day it would no longer be a Loews.

• Stayed May 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

We had a very nice stay at this hotel. It is conveniently located to the typical tourist attractions and a short taxi ride from Union Station.

One of our rooms wasn't ready in a timely manner at check-in, but the staff gave us a comp for 2 meals in the American "Sea" Grille restaurant.

The rooms were clean and a good size.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to L'Enfant Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!