“Great place to stay for location and convenience.” 4 of 5 stars

L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 L'Enfant Plaza, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Ranked #110 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Melbourne Beach, Florida
“Great place to stay for location and convenience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Metro was downstairs and the hotel was in easy walking distance of many of the Smithsonian museums. We enjoyed the convenience of the Metro and the Hop on hop off bus stopped in front ot the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Marilyn3212013,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that our proximity helped to make your trip a bit more convenient with traveling to the different sites. We appreciate your business and hope that you choose to stay with us again on your next trip to DC.

Kind regards,

Dwayne Dean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Greek first
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had bought this room on bookit.com (where it seems always to be on sale). The package I bought included free internet and the view upgrade. The #1 reason to book this hotel is obviously the location, on the mall and nearly on top of the Metro station (you do have to walk through the food court and take an elevator, but the instructions on the hotel website are adequate). Perfect if you are visiting the museums (especially those on the south side of the mall such as Air and Space).

I had a very nice agent at check in (Roxann I think). I was early so she did the paperwork, then I stored luggage with the bell captain. I asked for a room not facing the construction and had already been assigned a view to the river.

The shops level includes also a branch of CVS and the Post Office , as well as the food court (I liked Roti). Also in front of the HUD building next door are tons of food trucks. So I did not try any of the hotel dining options.

The pool that is touted is not really much of anything, not from the top level of the hotel and not with fabulous views or amenities, however it is outdoors.

The room floors are laid out in quadrangles, so you will go round in circles trying to find the ice station. The room struck me as Motel 6 in size and layout with traditional style (fake mahogany Federal furniture and blue/white wallpaper). The amenities were there, but as mentioned the TVs are old CRT type, big deal. My room was in decent shape, no peeling wallpaper. The beds were a bit saggy (With a king sleep in the center which was still firm). Just a little caulk needed in the shower around the grab bar. A few faint stains on some carpets. Nothing horrible. No major complaints, really. I was worried after reading some of these reviews but really found it convenient and satisfactory.

I enjoyed the reproduction John Singer Sargent paintings near the floor elevators.

Construction runs until midnight according to the signs, I would not want to be facing the courtyard and trying to sleep during some of the operations that were ongoing to break up the concrete. I heard nothing as I was facing the river.

Room Tip: If there is construction get a river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear mlgb,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we are striving to make the next visit better. Our hotel does enjoy a “vintage” status. We however, pride our property on the service provided. We appreciate your business and hope that you choose to stay with L'Enfant Plaza on your next trip to DC.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This will be THE place when my husband and I get to visit DC together.
Atop the Metro, a pretty nice pool (hard to find IN a DC hotel), great sized rooms, with robes, and nice amenities makes this the best choice to stay and travel around DC.
Be aware that rates in DC go UP during the week, when DC rocks it, so your weekend rates will be lower.
A pretty wonderful breakfast buffet included all the usual, but lox, capers, and the bagel fixins' made me so happy the day we indulged. The lunch salads, and according to Mom, their tomato basil soup, were exceptional for hotel "food."
Because DC closes up on the weekends, the Food Court below the hotel is basically closed up, but during the week the best buy is the MOE's breakfast burrito. There is also a 5 Guys, and frozen yogurt shop too - so all palates will be happy (McD's for the kids).
I was able to leave my luggage on check out day, tipped out a $5 whne i returned from the Zoo to head towards BWI.
I loved this hotel- we were happy to hole up there when it was too hot do DO anything...and i ventured out to see parts of L'enfant plaza that i had never experienced. Government agencies are all round L'enfant.
Good access to everything!

Room Tip: Booking through a third party does not allow for room choice, be aware of that.
Dear dwhite2011,

Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate knowing when our guest's have been well served. It is our goal to provide a clean, friendly and enjoyable space for our guests. It is delightful to know that your experience here mirrored that. We hope that when you return to the greater DC area you will return here for your lodging needs. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town. Please socialize with us on Facebook andTwitter.

Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from 7/24 up to 7/29/2013 on this hotel. It has a good location with a main metro station and a food court underneath. Be aware that most of the food places on the food court are closed on weekends. The lobby is beautiful, there are some construction of an expansion in the front of the hotel, therefore request a room with a pool view so you won't be disturbed by the construction noises or a room not facing the front of the hotel.

The hotel needs remodeling, needs new television, the room table were scratched and the wall paper in the hallways is falling down. The bed are not comfortable and the pillows are very small.
When we arrive we have to request toilet paper, we cannot control the room temperature. The front desk people were unfriendly, but in contrast we order room dining and the woman named Rosa was very attentive and the guy which bring us the room service also was very attentive.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear hacolon,

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to find that your stay was not completely satisfactory for you. I have noted your comments regarding the front desk staff and we are using this in our retraining, I am however delighted that you experienced true hospitality from Rosa. We hope that you choose to stay with L'Enfant Plaza on your next trip to DC.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times but my last experience will keep me from returning. First, we paid extra for a room with a view. The hotel wasn't even full and they put us in a room with a view of the building next door's roof..if you could see over the roof the Potomac was in the distance. Second, the room was equipped with a small tube TV and very few channels. Third, there was a large ball of black hair in the bathroom under the sink. I posted this review back in February when we stayed because the hotel staff ignored my e-mail about the conditions. After I posted the review, someone finally contacted me and apoligized and offered a free night's stay. I removed the listing in hopes that they would rectify the situation. Several months went by and I did not receive anything so I contacted them again. They stated they would send it out that day. It's August and nothing has materialized. Like I said, I have stayed several times before and the location is great but this experience totally ruined me for the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
LEnfantPlazaHotel, Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Miranda H,

Thank you for your business and your comments which we will use to better serve future guests.

Regards,

L'Enfant Plaza Management
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very outdated room, old decor, ridiculous television. Not that the TV is worth anything anyway but there are only 5 channels and a very outdated info system. The staff was unfriendly at first but seemed to cheer up as our conversation progressed. Lacking the necessary toiletries, NO TOILET PAPER HOLDER! Thermostat is so old. Alarm clock and shower head fixtures from the 1800's. Parking is way over priced. $37 to park it yourself (no in out) and $43 for valet parking (no in out) per night.

• Stayed July 2013
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Nate D,

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that you did not have a good experience while at our hotel. We take our customer comments very seriously at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel and will make sure to address the problems you experienced. We will use your feedback to try and provide a more rewarding stay for future guests.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I don't agree with any of these negative reviews. It's a great hotel. The staff is very nice, and the service is great. The rooms aren't bad at all (besides maybe the tvs). The locations the best part, not just because its two blocks from the mall, but there's a shopping plaza beneath it. It was very good overall and a good deal

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fred B,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to know you had a pleasant stay. I hope you consider staying with us again in the future. You will be able to see and enjoy what all the “noise” was about! Again, thank you for your business and choosing L’Enfant Plaza.