“Great location for museum visitors” 4 of 5 stars

L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 L'Enfant Plaza, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Ranked #109 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great location for museum visitors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very friendly staff and the location couldn't be better for visiting most of the Smithsonian museums or the National Mall. A terrific breakfast buffet but you need to be hungry to make it worthwhile. There are other chepaer food options down under in the metro tunnel during the work week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear lenason,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we are always striving to make the next visit even better. We hope that you choose to stay with L'Enfant Plaza on your next trip to DC. Socialize with us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!

Dwayne Dean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Greek first
Springfield, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I were invited to baseball games with different sets of friends on both Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, so we decided to get a hotel room for Saturday night. While I was a little concern about the mixed reviews that the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel has received here recently, we decided to go ahead and make a reservation due to the convenient location on top of the L'Enfant Plaza Metro station (only stops to Nationals Park) and the reasonable rate ($144 for a king suite with breakfast for two included in the price).

Having made our reservation, I then became concerned when the hotel contacted me to ask if I was attending the "All White With Pink Accent Breast Cancer Awareness Affair" event taking place in the hotel that night. I said "no" but enquired about potential noise issues and was assured that noise would not be an issue. I was further concerned when we checked in on Saturday afternoon and saw signs for the event in the lobby indicating that it started at 10:00 p.m. and went to 3:00 a.m. I was again assured that noise would not be an issue.

Our room was lovely, and it was very clean. We did not have the chipped furniture or mildewed bathroom tiles that others have complained about here. Service was prompt in response to the one small issue we did have, which was that the Kleenex ran out.

After the baseball game, we arrived back at the hotel to find that the event was in full swing. We had planned on eating in the bar, which is open till 12:00, but it was mobbed with people from the event, so we opted to head back to our room and order room service. Room service arrived promptly and the food was hot.

We were on the 15th floor, so we did not hear any noise from the event on the first floor. Unfortunately, we were awakened between 3:00 and 4:00 as the event broke up and noisy event-goers came upstairs to their rooms to continue the festivities for a while. As I'd explained to the hotel when they'd called me, the whole purpose of getting a room in town when we live here was to get a good night's sleep. Admittedly, the hotel is not responsible for the loud and boisterous behavior of partygoers heading to their rooms afterward, but I think it was unrealistic of the hotel to expect that guests would not be impacted by the event in some way.

Fortunately, I guess, the noise didn't continue for too long and we were able to get back to sleep. Breakfast the next morning was very good, and the hotel kept our overnight bags for us while were at Sunday's baseball game.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel as a good value for the money.

Dear Carol757,

Thank you very much for your review. We are sorry that your sleep was interrupted by guests from the night’s function. We are so happy to hear that you would stay with us again. We cannot wait until your next visit! Please socialize with us on Facebook and Twitter so you may get advance information on deals with us.

Kind regards,

Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I went with this hotel originally for two reasons: 1) it was next door to one of my usual DC hotels and I am very familiar with getting around to and from that area, and 2) it was the only reasonable rate remaining for the specific weekend we needed due to a large convention and concert. I must say that I have stayed in a number of DC hotels over the years and this one has now moved onto my go-to list. It ties directly into the metro from the inside with a simple elevator ride down one floor and a brief walk through a nice food court. Even at night when the food court was closed, it was clean and well lit and comfortable to walk through to the elevator. And the hotel elevators to the rooms were very responsive and required your room card to operate, which added to our feeling of at least a minimal level of security. The front desk staff were very busy when we checked in since the hotel was sold out, but they were quick, efficient and very accommodating to our need to make a change to our reservation. Our 5th floor room was spacious enough for the time we would be in there and it was sufficiently clean from the first day to the last of 5 days. No, the décor was not luxury level, but it was comparable to most 3 star DC hotels. The ice machine was a little bit of a hike, but I considered it late night exercise when we returned from the day's festivities. We had a view of the rooftop pool, but I will admit it was not very impressive. NOTE: There is a pool party EVERY Sunday for everyone in the hotel from 12pm until about 6ish and we understood food and drinks (they set up a full bar!) were complimentary (except for maybe a few special order drinks). We didn't stay around on Sunday, but our neighbors mentioned the amount of noise it generated, so if you plan to be in your room on a Sunday for some peace and quiet, you should ask the front desk not to assign you a room poolside. We were fortunate to have a breakfast buffet included with the room rate and took advantage of that. It is basically the same offerings every morning, but has enough of a variety of choices from the usual eggs, bacon, sausage to waffles, pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, homestyle potatoes, and grits. There were also lots of breads, fruits and pastries. The wait staff was so incredibly helpful asking if we wanted our eggs cooked to order, breads toasted, different kinds of juice, and they really seemed genuinely happy to help! We hope to see them again on a return trip! All in all, we were very happy with our overall stay and would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: They do have rooms that face the Washington monument and I'm sure that would be a nice view in t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Race2Win,

We would definitely like for you to stay with us again! We love to hear great feedback from our guests and it brings us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay. Our location coupled with the metro makes for a very easy commute for visitors and locals! At L'Enfant Plaza we stress quality customer service and we are glad that we were able to provide it while you were here. We look forward to having you return. Please socialize with us on Facebook and Twitter so you may get advance information on deals with us.

Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed here on a Thursday night. I called about 1pm and asked for an early check in since I had a 2 year old. They said sure come on over. I got there and was told that there were 20+ people ahead of me and check in wasn’t until 4pm. I asked for a family friendly restroom and was informed there isn’t one. I tried to check in at 4pm and was told my room still wasn’t available. I wasn’t able to check in until 4:30pm. Parking was $40, but somehow my credit card was charged $48. It’s a great location, but the rooms are dated, it’s under construction and very noisy. I would avoid it next time. You are better to stay outside the city and pay the $20 to park for the day or take the metro into the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear RockyGator,

Thank you for your posting. I would like to apologize for the imprecise information you received. We thank you for your business and your comments which we will use to better serve future guests.

Regards,

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had theater tickets and decided to stay downtown for the night because this hotel is literally on top of the Metro and walk to many of the sights. It is a great, moderately priced hotel. For $159 we had a penthouse executuve suite overlooking the waterfront,Potomac and Virginia and included breakfast. The furniture was a little banged up, but the amazing view kept our attention from the details. The rooftop pool was beautiful and they have an adult pool party on Sundays with food and drinks on Sundays in the summer (extra charge).

Room Tip: Get the executive suite with king bed and Potomac views . Just a few bucks more than the atrium...
Dear Suzannesimon,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your brief stay with us. We would love for you to staycation with us again! Please follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Message us when you plan to return. Thank you for choosing to stay with us at L'Enfant Plaza.

STL, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for a conference. Location is good for seeing D.C. sights and it has an outdoor rooftop pool, which is nice in the summer, especially with kids. The lobby and restaurants are nice enough, but the rooms leave a lot to be desired. They are old and worn out. The toiletries are basic - one of my pet peeves is conditioning shampoo instead of shampoo and conditioner. They have conditioning shampoo, lotion and bar soap, which was not replenished after I used the first day. Dirty grout on floor tiles and a little bit of mold on the grout in the shower and in one of the public restrooms. If they care, this would be easy to fix. Leaky air conditioning unit in ceiling near the closet. Room service was prompt and quite tasty (except for the salad which was WAY overdressed). If you get a great rate, want an outdoor pool, and won't be spending much time in the room I'd say go for it. Avoid in all other situations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear SLS006,

Thank you for your feedback. Please know that we take our customer comments seriously and give thought to each of them. I have notified each respective department of the issues you mentioned. Thank you for your business.

Regards,

CHESHIRE, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

5-10 minute stroll down to the mall area (be warned most museums/sights only seem to be open 10am to 430pm or 5), 25 minute brisk walk to Penn Quarter shops/restaurants (there's nothing like this around the hotel). Starbucks in lobby open early morning to lunchtime, restaurant food/service average, check in efficient, bell staff too relaxed (if you need a taxi order yourself in advance). Rooms good size and clean (with fridge - suggest you stock with drinks as vending and ice machines seem to be often out of service) but very tired, view of mall obscured by unattractive rooftops. Pool good. not sure i would stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear PARENTWITHKIDS,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to know that you experienced some positive moments while staying with us. Please know that we take our customer comments seriously and will give thought to each of them. Thank you for your business.

Kind regards,

Dwayne Dean

Been to L'Enfant Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!