“YUCK!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Denver, CO
“YUCK!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked this hotel through the trade group I was coming to visit. Even though Tripadvisor gave it so-so reviews I gave it a chance. I was in DC for four night and left the L'Enfant after one night. I went to the Fairfield and was able to get a room at a lower rate which was far superior to this hotel. It is unclean, the rooms are severely dated and in need of repair and updating. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear DoctorRDenver_CO,

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that your stay was a disappointment to you. We thank you for your business and your comments which we will use to better serve future guests.

Regards,

Dwayne Dean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Greek first
Forest Hills, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel was located in the middle of an office complex that had its own metro station. Its hotel lobby was very spacious. It has an outdoor pool. But the rooms' furnishing was old. The bed was not firm enough for me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Samuel F,

Thank you for your comments. We thank you for your business and your comments which we will use to better serve future guests.

Best regards,

Robina, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room with a King, View and and Balcony in October 2012. Upon check-in was told this room was unavailable, there was a room however with 2 beds that had a view if I would like. This conversation with the staff member was very fast and to the point I really could not understand her and she seemed very irritated about something.....my first impression was that I was taking up her time!
My husband and I had trained from N.Y., that day and fought through the 1700 hrs pick hour customers from Union Station to the Hotel all we now wanted was to check-in, have something to eat and get to bed.
We went to the first room to find 2 double beds and Yes a view. The majority of husbands and wives sleep in one bed if I recall. My heart sank! We both went back down to the lobby and I to the front desk again. I received the same standoffish greeting as before from the same receptionist who very unhappily took the keys from me and proceeded to give me ones for a King and Balcony!
Off we traipsed... Yes! This was it. I went over to the "sliding" door, which opened well enough to check out the BALCONY! Perplexed I was to see something about a foot in width protruding from the door. I then tried with all my might to move the fly screen, but with great difficulty. It was rather obvious maintenance personal didn't like fly screens! The wheels on it had not been serviced from its inception! And it was warped. I left well alone! The room was very old and clearly not looked after, but clean. Then I proceeded to the closet .... another fight with the sliding doors... The whole frame was warped. I managed to put our valuables in the safe however.
The "Block-out" curtains were too short width wise too. The bath could have had a grip mat in it to stop injury while showering. Nonetheless, it was clean and the bed very comfortable.
We learned on one of our day trips Washington DC experienced a large earthquake 2011, maybe this hotel didn't do a good enough structural check or the possibility is that the management doesn't care. It was very clear staff didn't enjoy their work. To get a smile from the door men to the receptionists to the table waiter in the pub. That was an experience I have yet to see anywhere else, where a seemingly frustrated waiter holding a large tray with 2 servings on it literally picked up an empty large tray off a serving cabinet and threw it to the floor. This cabinet stood off to the right to a doorway from the bar. He proceeded to then PUT our order in front of us. The only charming person on duty there that night was the Bar man/ senior
person.
Getting milk is difficult, I mean, the rooms only have cream whitener in the coffee per packs. We like milk out of a bottle or carton. I asked a waiter from the main restaurant for some for the room and he was surprised the rooms didn't have any of the kind and produced a small bottle for $2.20. Don't forget to tip!
There was NO such person at the concierge desk. We wanted to do a day trip to Jamestown on such thing! AND THIS IS THE CAPITAL CITY of the U.S.A!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Anne C,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that you did not receive exemplary customer service. If you have names of the staff members that were not up to hospitality standards, I would appreciate you forwarding them so that I might discuss your interactions with them. It is unfortunate that you had a negative experience with so many people you came in contact with. Again we apologize for the experience you had at our hotel and we will use your feedback to correct any mistakes on our part.

Best Regards,

Logan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Being right by metro stop is good but the strong chemical fragrance in the ventilation was overwhelming and inescapable. I asked what it was and staff helped me change to a room that didn't smell--at first. But as soon as heat came on, it smelled that way too. I kept looking for one of those plugin air fresheners-- if you like those you'll be fine with this--but finally figured it out when I opened the window and it suddenly was much worse coming from heat vents. It triggered a migraine. Miserable experience. It was very cold out but maybe when neither heat nor AC are needed-- in spring or fall-- it wouldn't be so bad. Otherwise the service was good and food in hotel restaurant was ok although not memorable.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Lori R,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that your stay was not enjoyable. Unfortunately, I cannot explain why or where the smell you indicated came from as we do not utilize any type of scent enhancing systems. I am pleased to know that you did experience good service. We thank you for your business and choosing to stay at L’Enfant Plaza Hotel. I truly hope that you will stay with us again,

Kind regards,

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here a while ago and had a great time. The pool area was way nicer than i expected and the service was great. The most impressive part was the view, I would definitely recommend spending a few bucks more and upgrading for the view of the Washington Monument. We didn't have a car with us and there was no need, easy access to the metro and walking distance to the mall. I will stay there again if I'm back in DC.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
LEnfantPlazaHotel, General Manager at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Tim H,

We truly appreciate knowing when our guest's have been well served. We hope that when you return again to the greater DC area you will return to L’Enfant Plaza. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town. Please send me a note when you are staying with us again via my assistant, pbrown@lenfantplazahotel.com. You may also keep us with us on Facebook and Twitter!

Kind regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed for one night during the inaugural weekend and was less than pleased with the quality of my room. The furniture was old, worn and dirty. The heating and cooling system was loud and noisy. A short in the sconce caused the light to flicker on and off randomly. An error with the bill at checkout took much too long to clear up and the reservationists' attitude left room for improvement. I have stayed in many hotels in the DC area, but will not stay in this one again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tracey B,

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that your stay at L'Enfant was not a better one. Customer satisfaction is a priority and we are sorry that you had several problems during your stay. Again we thank you for your business and your comments which we will use to better serve future guests.

Best Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Spent 4 nights during the Inauguration Weekend at the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel on the 15th Floor. The hotel was very clean, the beds and bedding comfortable, breakfast buffet bountiful although expensive, but it is D.C. The furniture was a little worn, but everything in the room was clean and in working condition. There was only short waits for the elevator. The view from our room window overlooked the Washington Monument.
The location of this hotel is perfect for people visiting the Smithsonian Museums, Monuments, and even Capitol Hill. The Metro stops right under the hotel and it will take you all over the greater D.C. area. The hotel has a Starbucks in the lobby, and a large shop with necessities, magazine, souvenirs, and munchies. Below the hotel is a Promenade level with several fast food outlets, clothing and a large CVS store; weekends these stores have limited operating hours.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side overlook the Capitol Building, rooms on the west overlook the Washington Monu...