“Good option for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Washington DC

You added JW Marriott Washington DC to your Saves list
JW Marriott Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #74 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Good option for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was a great location for three generations touring the city. It was very convenient to stop #2 on the DC trolley route, which we utilized every day to get to the heart of the monuments. The staff was friendly and helpful, there was a nice workout area and clean rooms with everything we expected for this price. I would recommend this hotel as a good option for families.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Pinecrest, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I chose this hotel for its proximity to where I would be working for several days. The location is perfect for access to the Washington Monument and the Ronald Reagan Building. The decor is very nice and the rooms are well appointed. Some drawbacks that I experienced: the hair dryer in the room did not function and had to be replaced (which made me late on my first day). The elevators have a unique call system that confused me causing me to miss my floor a few times (you have to read the posted instructions). The Starbucks in the lobby was greatly appreciated although on day 2 I had to wait in a long line for 30 minutes to get my morning fix. The hotel (and all the others in the area) was completely sold out, and on day 3 I had to move to another hotel a considerable distance away. The bathroom was very nice but a bit snug. My housekeeper (her name was something like Sudora) was a gem. So sweet, such amazing service (yes I tipped her well). All in all I would certainly choose this hotel again, and I do recommend this location, but I would be sure to book my room more than a month in advance.

Room Tip: Book early! Hotel fills up quickly
Green Features: Excellent. They practice what they preach. Read about JW Marriott Washington DC's environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

we had a mega meeting here with 300+ people this week. the room, setup, meals, breaks were all really well organized. sound system wasn't great, but that may not have been the hotel -- perhaps an outside vendor. everything was really well done, with good quality and very neat/clean. huge lobbies and multiple levels, which is great for organizing side meetings and making calls. right in central DC, and a great location near metros/sites, etc

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

You be the judge.

Concierge level: Dessert consisted of cookies and Costco like carrot cake squares. They left the door open to their "kitchen" so you see them taking care of dirty dishes next to new food yet to be put out. They handed me butter in the same gloved hands used to clear dishes. Major yuck. Not a good value. Save the money and go down the street to Cafe du Parc.

Housekeeping: Asked if room can be cleaned and was told "you had DND sign up" but prior to out 2:30pm nap no one cleaned our room anyway. Housekeeper was hoping our room gets lost between shifts. And, the best part was that they were talking about me in Chinese while I was standing there. The funny thing is I am Chinese.

Management: No one seems outraged that their employee talked badly about a guest. No one followed up with me.

• Stayed June 2014
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We strive to provide the service that allows you to relax and enjoy your stay. I can certainly understand how these lapses in service, resulted in your stay falling short of our standards.

I do recall several members of our management team being in contact with you about your opportunities, as It is our goal for you to have a problem-free-stay. However, should any issues arise we pride ourselves on being able to follow up and provide solutions.

If business or pleasure takes you back to Washington DC, please contact me and allow me to ensure a greater experience.

Thank you for your feedback.
Andover, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I try and only write positive reviews, and we have had our share of less-than-ideal experiences but are very much go-wth-the-flow people. However, I feel as though I should share our experience at the JW Mariott in DC so that others can be warned, because this is something I would have wanted to know. First, the location is great - near the White House, the Mall, and restaurants - but there are a lot of other hotels in the Penn Quarter that have this location. When I booked the Mariott, I called to ask the name of a food court type place attached to the hotel that I had read about on this site. The person I spoke to someone said she had no idea. I thought perhaps she was in a different part of the country so I asked if I could speak to someone at the hotel. She told me she was at the actual hotel and no one at the hotel could tell me about a food court near the hotel. Okay - I figured I had found the one unhelpful employee at the place. We didn't interact with any other employees at the hotel until our last full day when we came home after a full day of sightseeing (left at 8AM, returned at 7PM) to find our room had not been made up. I called to let them know and ask if fresh towels and shampoo could be brought to our room. The woman on the phone and apologized and asked if we liked cookies - I said sure. About 20 min later we got a call making sure we had received everything - we said we hadn't yet. 10 minutes later someone knocked on our door with a clear pastic bag of cookies, and said "you asked for cookies?" I said No, we asked for towels and shampoo and she said all she heard is that we wanted cookies. We finally got our towels. That night our bill arrived and it had 2 mini bar charges (about $13) and 7 local phone call charges from the day before on the bill. I called to say we didn't use the minibar and never made any phone calls and the woman on the phone was SO rude to me, acted as if I was lying and said she would have to look into it and I could not stay on hold while she did because it would take too long. About 30 min later my husband called and asked to speak to a manager, because he realized that all the phone calls took place on the day that our room wasn't made up - we realized that whoever was supposed to be making our room up was actually in the room making phone calls! The manager was helping another guest but my husband was told he would call right back. 40 minutes later, he had not so my husband went down and talked to him. He took the charges off and gave us 10,000 Mariott points (which I think is worth a credit of $50 towards Mariott hotels - whoopee). I think it is so scary that someone was in our room making phone calls instead of making it up. But the reaction we got from the Mariott employees and the manager was even scarier.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the JW Marriott Washington, DC.

I noticed that you indicated you had some Housekeeping issues in your response. I can certainly understand how that could negatively affect your stay. I have alerted our Housekeeping team so that we can address those opportunities as soon as possible

It is our hope that we can improve upon those issues for you and for all of our future guests.

Kind Regards,
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

When you walk in, this is one impressive hotel; the lobby area is spread out over two floors with huge chandeliers making this a spectacular entrance. Lots of meet and greeters hang around, trying to earn their tip by helping you with your cases or by finding you a taxi and it looks a great hotel.

Check In was straightforward, she asked for my husband's passport, gave us the room key and told us how to find our room. She asked me my name, she did not require to see my passport. She did not tell us about breakfast or any of the other facilities in the hotel or nearby, although she did offer us a map which we found useful. We later phoned down to find that breakfast was not included, but we were not told that there was a grill downstairs or a Starbucks where we could find breakfast. We would find out the next day that the Starbucks closed at 6pm, which made no sense at all.

Having checked in we went up to our floor, and discovered that our room (103) was the far end of the corridor, a good few minutes walk away. It must have been obvious to the receptionist that I cannot walk too easily because I was using a walking stick (cane), and it must have been obvious that I would struggle to reach this room. She might have warned me it was a long walk or possibly changed my room.

We booked a king sized room and room 103 had a king size bed, but everything else was small in comparison. I do wish I had read the reviews on this page before we booked!

The room felt tired, the round glass topped table was scruffy, the curtains had dirty marks on them, it looked like they had recently repainted the wood in the room, but that meant that the left hand wardrobe (closet) door stuck. We asked for someone to fix it, but they did not do so. The room faced the road, which meant it was a little noisy but we in a downtown location, we expected that. We also expected the noisy air conditioning unit and thankfully it was not too hot, so we left it off.

The bathroom is probably the smallest I have ever experienced in a decent hotel and the shower is in the bath, but there is a grab rail to help you in and out. The room got badly steamed up when the shower was on and there isn't a lot of space for your personal toiletries, which was a nuisance. The counter is full of hand towels, flannels, and assorted toiletries. There was a hair dryer in a bag, hanging at the back of the door too. A sign asks you to hang your towels for the next day, rather than have them washed. We would have done so, but there was nowhere to hang two bath towels and two hand towels other than a tiny rack over the bath. The maid did a great job of cleaning the room every day, and she left lots of tubes of wash, shampoo and conditioner in the room, wrapped up in towels, which looked very pretty, but again, this just took up the space I wanted to use for my own toiletries.

The hotel is well placed to visit all the main sights in DC, it is two blocks from the Metro and when we were there the streets were lined with tents selling all sorts of food as there was a street party going on. You do not have to walk too far before you come across all of the main sightseeing locations and there are also plenty of buses too.

We ate in the hotel grill on only one occasion. We were welcomed like long lost friends by a very attentive waiter and we were seated in a part of the restaurant which had two TV's showing different sporting programs, one right by our table. In the back ground I could also hear music playing and that hardly provided diners with a restful atmosphere. Still we ordered the salmon, it arrived promptly and was good and we thought the meal was reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant.

Be careful if you want to use the wifi. On arrival I phoned down to be told it would cost something like $12 a day. When I went down to the lobby I was told there was a business center and I could use the computers in there, but it would not be open at the weekend. I looked around for the business center and eventually found a printer and two computers in the basement, but there was a paying machine alongside the computer, it was not free. Given the cost of the room, and the fact that many hotels with rooms half the price offer free wifi, this really annoyed me. The next day another guest told me that wifi was free in the lobby, and that is where I logged in for the duration of my stay but the music in the lobby was on a loop, and by the time I heard it 3 or 4 times, it was starting to irritate.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the place is crawling with security men and women who constantly patrol the hotel. I personally found that reassuring.

Would I stay in this Marriott again? Probably not, and the next time I will read tripadvisor first before I book a hotel!

Room Tip: See if there are rooms that are not facing the road, I am sure there must be given the design of the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a detailed review of our property. I really enjoyed reading your comments about areas of service you felt that we could have better responded to.

Our desk agents are trained to respond to guest cues and nonverbal signs, which clearly did not occur in your case. Had they responded to those cues, they would have placed you in a room much closer to the elevator for easier access.

Another area of opportunity which we could have better served you would be in explaining our in-house dining options as well as the in room internet. These are things that should come standard when you arrive, and I thank you for bringing these to my attention.

If you ever plan on traveling to the DC area in the future, please reach out to me directly and I'd be happy to assist you with any travel plans or requests. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to give a thorough review of our property.

Kind Regards,
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Excellent location. Lovely room overlooking Penns Avenue. 2 mins to White House and 15 to other attractions. Quiet room. Well appointed as you would expect.
Chamber maid service needs a bit of a review as some days i got water bottles replaced and some not. Had to ask for more shower gel( 3 night stay).
Room wifi is $12 plus tax a day. Seems mean ?
Pool very busy at weekends and not huge but good.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for high up with Pen Ave views
Green Features: Good. Towels only changed when I asked - it was very hot !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to JW Marriott Washington DC? Share your experiences!