“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Wyoming
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

The location of this hotel to the White House, restaurants and shopping is ideal. All, other than shopping, are within walking distance. All employees were extremely helpful. Shoe-shiner on the main level did an outstanding job for a fair price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Palm Coast, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This hotel is the perfect hotel for any visit to DC. The convenient location next to the subway system is a definite plus. Lots of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. The hotel could definitely use updating though. Some new furniture and a coat of paint would go a long way to making this hotel really nice. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for a legislative conference. It is a great location but we were unfortunately on the 1st floor facing 14th & Penn intersection. On the 1st floor, you can hear all the street traffic. At about 4 AM, the taxi cabs started to line up just below were our room was located. The bellhops have WHISTLES to blow to get cab drivers attention. So we were awake all night with traffic noise & then further kept awake by a whistle of all things. The whistle should be banned until about 10AM!! We felt like we got zero sleep on this week long trip. Ask for a higher floor!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT get anything below floor 7 if you want to get any sleep. Say Hell No to room 129!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your stay was not what you had hoped for, as we certainly strive to make it so. I can certainly understand how the noise from outside would keep you up at night. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

We will use your feedback to encourage our front desk team to better inform our guests of any possible noise restrictions.

Please contact me if you return to Washington and allow me to set aside a more comfortable room for your next stay.

Kind Regards,
Advance, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I'm generally a big fan of the Marriott chain. I looked forward to our stay at the JW Marriott in DC. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the location. This hotel is central to all things tourist and food in DC. Literally a 5 minute walk to the Washington Monument or the White House. If I were basing this review solely on location, I would give it a big fat 5 STARS!!! We did take advantage of the indoor pool. The rooms were nice and clean. Service was friendly. We did like the futuristic elevators noted by other reviewers.

However, there were a couple things that disappointed me about this hotel.

First, the pillows at this Marriott were not what I have come to expect at other Marriott Hotels. The pillows were marginal at best and reminiscent of a cheap motel. I could not get a good night's rest in the 3 nights we stayed. The pillows were just plain awful.

Second, the valet service was such an inconvenience. I'm not going to complain about the $50/day valet rate as that is expected in a city like DC. The attendants at valet explained to us upon arrival that our car would take up to 20 minutes for retrieval and the information was clearly noted on our ticket stub. They give you a number to call ahead for your car. I understand the 20 minute timeframe, however, I retrieved my car three times and waited 30, 35, and 40 minutes respectively. On one occasion, I had called in advance and arrived 20 minutes later to find out my car wasn't even on their list for retrieval. I'm pretty easygoing but we had two toddlers and the additional waiting was brutal.

I would be hesitant although not entirely resistant to stay here again as the location is really a plus. I just cannot guarantee a comfortable night's rest or prompt valet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent stay at the JW Marriott Washington, DC. Your feedback is truly one of the best tools we have to better our services for future guests.

We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us. In the future, please do not hesitate to call and speak with one of our At Your Service agents for different bedding options. We would be happy to deliver an alternative set of pillows that may better fit your sleeping habits.

I completely understand how frustrating it must have been to wait for your car on three separate occasions, not to mention having small children waiting with you. I have shared these comments with our valet manager to ensure this issue does not occur again.

Again, thank you so much for your time. Please reach out to me directly if you'd like to discuss any of these issues further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Hotel is ok, location is great! (I thoght though JW would be higher standard...)
We were nicely invited, the food was great, the server was nice but the cook (woman) at the omlett station was terrible. Very rude! Not even mentioning lacking smile... the woman before me asked for swiss chese which was brought from back room for her, when I asked for the same chese I wads given the regular yellow cheddar which I hate... I did even know what was going on...
Info for hotel manager: saturday, may 10th, 10am.
Thanks!

Room Tip: Good location, enjoy!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hello,

Thank you for joining us for breakfast in the Avenue Grill. I apologize for the negative service that you experienced with our omelet cook. As the JW Marriott Washington DC we strive to leave our guests with positive experiences that create lasting memories. A smile, kindness, and attentiveness to details go a long way, and I apologize again that you did not receive this type of service. I encourage you next time you are in the area to stay with us once again and we will make sure your next experience is a positive one.

Best Regards,

Dan Mckeon
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

The location is perfect and centrally located in Washington, DC. The location is fantastic to view all DC has to offer, museums, White House, ect...

I absolutely love visiting DC and this hotel is ideal. Similar to other JW brands in metro cities, the atmosphere is classic. My experience with the staff has always been pleasant.

The views from the rooms are wonderful.

Would return and recommend to my network.

Room Tip: Ask to face Pennsylvania Avenue
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This JW Marriott is in a great location and provides excellent service. I was there for a professional conference. As a Gold Elite member I had access to their 7 day a week Concierge lounge which had a fabulous breakfast spread. My bed was super comfortable!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business