“Great location!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Washington DC

You added JW Marriott Washington DC to your Saves list
JW Marriott Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Great location!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The location of this hotel is key here. We weren't hardly two block from the White House. Which meant I could walk by the White House in the mornings while drinking my coffee. Clean and friendly, the rooms were older, but large and comfortable. We were there for a conference and it wasn't noisy. The inside of this hotel in the common area was really nice.
Glad there is a Starbucks in the hotel downstairs, that makes it a nice and easy breakfast stop, or you can find places to eat around there for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
dallas, texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We just completed a 5 night business stay at this hotel, and I was disappointed in our stay. Even though business secured the room and paid the tab, I felt embarassed for them. For $500/night, I expected some degree of luxury above most other properties in downtown Washington. What we got was a typical Marriott property--good for a business stay, but certainly not luxurious. The room was moderately sized, and most of the rooms look into an air shaft in the well of the building. Alerted by other reviews on TripAdvisor, I insisted on a transfer to an outside facing room, which they first denied they had, then offered at a higher price, and finally managed to place us in a third floor room with a view (of the Willard, across the street) at the same price. I guess they were determined to deny us a decent window view. The folks that were paying for our room had also booked 4 other rooms with us, so I thought that a little more effort by the hotel was in order. Charging for wi-fi in the room but offering it for free in the lobby seems like an overreach for a $500/night hotel. Restaurant, bar, room service, parking--everything in this hotel seems to be aimed at gouging the customer. On the plus side, the rooms are quiet and clean, and the bathroom amenities are up to par. The location is the best part of this deal. If you can get this hotel at a substantial discount, it would be fine for business or pleasure. Otherwise, you can do better in DC.

Room Tip: Avoid any room that does not have a southern or a western outside view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ellicottville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Can't beat the location here -- a block away from the White House complex, right next door to the Willard Hotel and within walking distance of many excellent restaurants and bars. The JW is, apparently, the company's flagship hotel and I can see why because of the location. Parking here is an issue. The garage fills up fast pushing you toward the more expensive valet option which is readily available. The rooms are very nice, had a great view of the Washington Monument out of my window. The concierge level was excellent and the breakfast area was good but too small to accommodate the big crowd there. The fitness center is very nice as well. Great place to stay in downtown northwest DC.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Our room was clean, fresh and lovely - but throw in a rollaway and it makes it a little squishy. We only stayed 2 nights so we coped. Staff were friendly and accommodating, overall hotel was beautiful. The breakfast however was Perfection - anything you could imagine and more. We would go back again just for that. Location excellent proximity to National Mall and The White House - we loved DC and the Marriott thanks for helping make our trip so special . X

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a great stay at this luxury hotel. I was able to get a very good price on the from an online booking site. Usually the rate runs for about $450-$600 but i got at a good price of less than $200. Nice rooms with a great view. The gym is very spacious with good equipments. The concierge lounge is great too.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

One of the worst hotel disappointments in a place that one wouldn’t suspect: the JW Marriott in Washington DC.
I called this hotel directly to tell them that I was on my way with my family from New York City to Washington DC, to make sure that we could have connecting rooms, because we travel as a familly and wanted to definitely stay together on our 6 days in Washington, not seperated by walls.
Marriott never want to guarantee connecting rooms, for some reason (“Marriott policy”), but I was assured in this phone call that it wouldn’t be a problem. Because I was let down by Marriott earlier the same vacation on this point, I choose not to confirm my reservation as soon as we arrived, to avoid that we would again have to live in separate rooms without connection. This also was not a problem at all, I was told by the reservations representattive who I spoke to.

After a long day of travel, we arrived tired too find out that nothing connecting was available.

I asked for the manager on duty, she said nothing could be done about that. I explained her about the phone call with her hotel. Could even show here the exact time of the call in my cell phone. But she needed to know the name of the person that I spoke to, which of course I couldn’t remember, which for her meant there was no way to find out what went wrong. This came to me as she was totally not in control.

The reason I called directly to the hotel, was that the earlier bad experience was blamed on the central Marriott reservations office: according to the hotel, they can impossibly advise about availability regarding connecting options. To avoid future disappointments, I was advised to call to the hotel directly the next time. Which I did.

It comes to me as Marriott is teasing and cheating with promises to ‘do their best’ for all that you ask for, but they are not willing to guarantee because at the end of the day they cannot deliver and they do not seem to care at all about that. A reservation is a reservation, as long as they have paying customers it is OK, regardless of the wishes the customer has.

Apart from the disappointments, I feel irritated about the fact that appearantly customers must know about the internal Marriott organisation (central/decentral, who did you speak to? Like a mentioned: not in control) to have any chance at all to have their preferences granted.

I took the effort to contact customer care ('central') several times, but they do nothing else than routing the complaint to 'decentral': the resident manager responsible for the problem. This gentleman was simply rude by just denying the problem and waving away my complaint and didn't even bother take further notice on my reply. Until I contacted customer care again, then he sent me quite a disrespectful email. My conclusion: it is of no use to take the effort to complain if the man is not willing to listen to it anyway. In fact Marriott says: we don't care if you are satisfied or not, take it or leave it.

I have stayed in many, many (JW) Marriotts all over the world and besides some exceptions, I always enjoyed staying there. But this total lack of respect and service I refuse to accept and will avoid Marriotts in the future.

Happy ending is that the Mandarin Oriental could guarantee a suite connecting to a room without any problems, they treated me as a guest, as a valued customer. Why is this so hard for Marriott nowadays. Next time I will definitely choose the Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Waited 5 hours for a room to be ready, then my reward was a small, dingy connecting room overlooking an inner rooftop AND with dirty linens left on floor by housekeeping. Public spaces are nice enough, but based on my room and the room hallways, hotel is badly in need of a refurb. Unless you just need to be at this location, there are definitely better District options.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I aploogize for any linens inadvertantly left in the room. We obviously made a mistake identifying the room as ready before final inspection. I hope you'll consider returning and notify me before you arrive. I will help in any way I can to enhance your stay.

Dan McKeon
Resient Manager

Been to JW Marriott Washington DC? Share your experiences!