“Wish I could give 3.5 stars” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #76 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Wilton Manors, Florida
“Wish I could give 3.5 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed at the JWM in DC last weekend for a mix of personal and business. Got a group rate, so didn't have to pay the most outrageous room rate. But even at the rate I paid, it just didn't really live up to what I expected. Don't get me wrong, its a nice hotel and I know that DC hotels are very expensive, but the room was very average in size and the bathroom was very small. I didn't expect a suite, but for the price, I expected more. I also thought that the pillows for the room, both foam and feather were sub par.

All that said, the room and hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, and the location was perfect. It is very close to the White House and Mall, so you can walk most everywhere. Or quick cab or metro trip if going farther.

For all that, I gave it 4 stars, but given the price that they charge, 3.5 stars is waht I really would give.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Mission, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed my 11 day stay here. Best location in DC. 2 blocks from White House, less than a mile from the monuments and a few blocks from Federal Triangle and Metro Center on the Metro. Rooms are nice, mine didn't have a fridge, but I asked for one and one was delivered to my room in about 20 minutes. Online it said the fridge would cost me $35, the front desk said there would be no charge. Great gym and Starbucks on site. They even lent my an umbrella when it was raining. Great property- really enjoyed my stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Allendale, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel was a great find. The pool was great and my kids spent hours there. I reccommend eating breakfast at the hotel. The food was great for breakfast, and definetely try the omlets and the waffles. They were perfectly cooked and tasted fantastic. Some other things I reccommend are going to the national mall and some of the smithsonian museums. We ate at Old Ebbitt Grill, and the food was also great there and it was close to the hotel. Hope you stay here!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel has a grand lobby and great location. The room i stayed in was on the 5th floor and faced an interior courtyard. It was pretty dark. After doing research on the hotel, I had my boyfriend request a room on Pennsylvania Avenue on the 7th through 14th floors. I had read that these rooms have a nice view of the washington monument. We were told that priceline customers dont get those rooms. Also, we were given a room with two small double beds. When we asked to be moved to a room with a queen sized bed, we were told no queen sized rooms were available. They offered us a king size room for $30 more. Why should we have to pay because they're out of queen sized rooms? I can't speak to the rooms on Pennsylvania Avenue but I certainly would not stay in the small dark room with 2 double beds when im looking to get away for a weekend with my boyfriend.

Room Tip: Rooms on Pennsylvania on the 7th -14th floors have views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been to DC many times. But this time we wanted to stay closer to the White House, Capitol and Mall area. So we chose the JW and it was perfect!!! It's situated 3 blocks from the White House and 5 blocks from the Capitol, and 2 blocks from the Mall. Easy walking to everywhere in that area. Also, the subway is 2 blocks away from the hotel. We took the subway from Reagan airport to our hotel. As we had 2 roller bags it was so easy from the subway to the hotel. And the cost was $2.50 each instead of a $20+ cab ride.
The hotel is super nice with a great concierge, bar area that is fun for late nites or cocktail hour. Also great snacks. And fun restaurants with in blocks of the hotel.
We were there during Cherry Blossom Festival time so the rate was a little higher than I would usually pay. But they do advertise great weekend rates if one is just diligent in doing there homework on this location. During the week, if Congress is in session it is VERY expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Great experience. Friendly staff. Super cool elevator that protected your privacy. Room was average, nothing special. Was a little warn looking in the bathroom. Bed was comfy. Super location right on the Federal Triangle.

• Stayed April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This "flagship" JW Marriott has a great location on Pennsylvania Avenue - easy walk across the street to the Smithsonian American History Museum or to the National Mall, and down the street to the White House. It's clean. It has interesting elevators into which you enter the floor you're going to rather than just hitting the "up" button.

Otherwise, I wasn't too impressed. I expected the staff to be more outwardly friendly and helpful. It seemed to be decorated in a carefully chosen palette of drab. The room was fine, but somewhat worn and uninspiring.

This hotel sits in a bad place for my future travel planning. It's not special enough to book for a fun weekend away with my wife, and it's too expensive and stuffy for a trip with my family. My special group discounted rate came to a total of $360 for one night. Since Starbucks and Cosi can give me free WiFi for the purchase of a cup of tea, I get so frustrated that hotels can't find a way to fit WiFi into a $360 room fee - I passed on purchasing it for an additional $12.95 for 12 hours, so I'm writing this review from the lobby.

I can't imagine ever wanting to come back to this hotel; especially with great experiences nearby such as with my previous review of the Sofitel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Washington DC? Share your experiences!