“Stayed for a conference at the Reagan Buildings across the street” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Washington DC

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Washington DC to your Saves list
JW Marriott Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 20% In DC
Ranked #72 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Kitchener, Canada
“Stayed for a conference at the Reagan Buildings across the street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Great experience. Friendly staff. Super cool elevator that protected your privacy. Room was average, nothing special. Was a little warn looking in the bathroom. Bed was comfy. Super location right on the Federal Triangle.

• Stayed April 2013

1,527 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This "flagship" JW Marriott has a great location on Pennsylvania Avenue - easy walk across the street to the Smithsonian American History Museum or to the National Mall, and down the street to the White House. It's clean. It has interesting elevators into which you enter the floor you're going to rather than just hitting the "up" button.

Otherwise, I wasn't too impressed. I expected the staff to be more outwardly friendly and helpful. It seemed to be decorated in a carefully chosen palette of drab. The room was fine, but somewhat worn and uninspiring.

This hotel sits in a bad place for my future travel planning. It's not special enough to book for a fun weekend away with my wife, and it's too expensive and stuffy for a trip with my family. My special group discounted rate came to a total of $360 for one night. Since Starbucks and Cosi can give me free WiFi for the purchase of a cup of tea, I get so frustrated that hotels can't find a way to fit WiFi into a $360 room fee - I passed on purchasing it for an additional $12.95 for 12 hours, so I'm writing this review from the lobby.

I can't imagine ever wanting to come back to this hotel; especially with great experiences nearby such as with my previous review of the Sofitel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Southern Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed one night here while visiting town for a grown-up night out on the town, otherwise we were staying with family in the area for the rest of our trip.
The hotel was great. They allowed for early check-in so we could leave our bag in our room while we spent time at attractions in town. Our friends from out of town also booked a room here and got an exceptional deal via priceline. We used our Marriott points, so it was a great deal for us.
We had a beautiful view from the 6th floor. Hotel location was ideal for walking to great food. We also bought food in the lobby bar/restaurant, which turned out better tasting that any of us expected.
The beds were amazingly comfortable. The in room amenities were great. We did not treat ourselves to any mini-bar/snacks in the room, but there were plenty to choose from if you needed something.
My only complaint, and why I rated 4 rather than 5 was only because of the noise that could be hard from the room next to us. I was surprised at how little outside noise could be heard, but the gentleman in the room next door could be heard quite clearly. Other than that, the stay was perfect.
We enjoyed the concierge level breakfast in the morning with another amazing view of the mall. Seating was very limited, and there were many individuals that would take up a whole table that should seat 6 with just themselves.
If I needed to go back to DC and stay downtown, this would be my first pick. I am a huge fan of Marriotts and their consistencies across all their brands, so I am a little bias there, but only because I have had great experiences with them time and time again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott last week for two nights. My 16 year old son and I were in town looking at colleges. I chose the hotel because I stayed there a few years ago for work and I remembered that I liked it. I have no complaints at all. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for walking to all of the sites one wants to take in on a visit to DC. The room was a standard hotel room (neither underwhelming nor overwhelming) and perfectly clean. I also found the bed and pillows to be super comfortable. I would also suggest paying a little extra for a Capitol Room with a view of Pennsylvania Avenue. Seeing the Washington Monument outside of your window is simply divine.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of Pennsylvania Avenue.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Location location location , good rooms a good bar , comfy all a biz hotel should be , the staff even smile and say good day, as they go about their tasks , was glad to be back there. Lunch in the cafe was great as usual .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was at the hotel in April 2013. Great location close to the White House and plenty of restaurants/retail. The service was fantastic and the room (705) was small, yet comfortable. Also, there is a Starbucks in the lobby -- very convenient. Bellhops were quick to assist with luggage and call a cab. No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Upon arrival, found the staff to be a bit..."stuffy". The hotel gathering area (Lobby) is huge and very cold in design. The vastness of the Lobby is a set-up for great disappointment in the rooms. Small, dirty and NOISY we had to ask to be moved. In moving we had the opportunity to "inspect" the new room only to find it a bit of a challenge in finding one that finally met with our needs. Once settled, we did find the location to be satisfactory to our Itinerary we had laid out. Everything was in walking distance and felt safe enough to be on foot and enjoy the city of DC. The hotel's food was fair and satisfied a quick need for a meal but nothing to brag about. Plan to return to Dc but will find a better hotel and accommodations.

Room Tip: Check where your room is (too close to the elevator?) and how clean it is before accepting it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Our staff works diligently to be in tune with our guests and are genuinely hospitable. I'm sorry you got the impression they were stuffy. We'll be sure to share your perception and increase our self awareness.

We strive for cleanliness every day. I hope if you have the opportunity to come to Washington DC again you might touch base with me. We'd like to have you with us.

Many thanks,

Dan McKeon

Been to JW Marriott Washington DC? Share your experiences!