“A nice stay, but” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Washington DC

You added JW Marriott Washington DC to your Saves list
JW Marriott Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“A nice stay, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The JW Marriott in DC is a beautiful hotel in a great location. My biggest issue with these upscale hotels is that they have less amenities than there lower priced brand. For instance, at the Marriott, we had to pay for wireless in our room and the hotel breakfast was ridiculously over priced. We stayed at a Hampton Inn and received free wifi, full breakfast, and a complimentary paper.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Akron
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

By now my readers realize that I have a preference for the JW brand. I had a chance to stay at the JW Wash DC in conjunction with a business conference. After a hard travel day, I was greeted with at least 10 smiles upon arrival, which does a lot to just relax you. Ahmed at the front desk was cordial and helpful. The location is great. I was surprised by how many families were there on spring break, but the business travelers don't need to be scared off, the hotel is so spacious that there is no noise or traffic issues. Lucky kids. I spent a little time in the bar, and found it posh and cozy. The location is right smack in the middle of tourist heaven, so if you are thinking of family vacay, then you will be in the right place. My room was fine, though somewhat ordinary compared to other offerings I had. I think I have now tried 3 Mariotts in DC, and, I would probably rank this second, simply because the one that has the Gordon B. brewery attached simply offers an easy "don't have to go outside" dining alternative, but other than that, it is a repeat stay.

One tip on cleaning, this is a clean hotel, but because I am extra picky, I always look for finger prints on the white doors around the lock, this wasn't didn't pass the test.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
First of all, thank you very much for staying with us. We greatly appreciate your business. I enjoyed your review of the experience at our JW Marriott Washington. Between college visits, Cherry Blossum festivities and spring break vacations we are enjoying being in the hub of it all.

Thank you for recognizing our great associates for their engaging service. (All those smiles in particular) They are at the heart of all we do. We will be sure to share your feedback.

Dan McKeon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a business conference and it was nicely appointed and convenient. It is also close to a lot of sites, so you can get in a walking tour of DC while here. A Starbucks in the lobby and close to great restaurants. Really nice gym. All that being said, it is $$$$.

• Stayed March 2013
Raleigh NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I recently attended a conference in Washington DC and stayed in the JW Marriott. The location is amazing! Standing on the corner, look left and see the Capitol; look right and see the Washington Monument.

Because of the limited parking situation, you are immediately greeted by a valet offering to assist you. They automatically put your bags on a cart and escort you to the Front Desk. This was my third trip to this property and each time they've welcomed me appreciatively. The bellman who helped me to my sleeping room was courteous, professional, and helpful. He made sure that I knew where to find everything and even changed the time on the clock when he noticed it hadn't automatically, "sprung forward."

I love the bar and bar staff! Jonathan has been there during each of my visits and actually remembers what I drink. "Pinot Noir, ma'am?" Seriously? He must see thousands of people each week. Impressive! If you're not sitting at the the bar, it takes a little time to find a staff member to help you, but not an aggravatingly long time. There are lots of TVs, which is nice because I'm always there during March Madness.

My room was very attractive. There was a thin layer of dust on everything, though, as if that particular room hadn't been occupied for a long time. Even the mini-bar snack items looked like they had been there too long. I asked for a higher floor and ended up with two double beds. This would have been fine, as I was traveling alone, but the beds were hard and not comfortable. The bathroom amenities were good. The shower items were left IN the shower with a washcloth. LOVE that. I had room service one night and it was delivered very quickly and still hot. Having an option with lots of vegetables was very nice.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the room service items are left in the hall way too long. I left my tray on my desk and the housekeeping staff must have left it outside my door. It stayed there until the next evening, almost 24-hours. This seemed to be the case all along the hall.

Overall, I love staying in this hotel. Mostly because of its location, but the staff is wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, outward-facing room.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

So - I am a loyal marriott person and get to travel a bit for work so I've stayed at a few JW marriott hotels now as well as a bunch of Renaissance hotels. They say this is their flagship hotel for the JW Marriott brand, I'd have to disagree.

Service at the front desk was not that great. The young lady that greeted seemed put out with my questions about breakfast and switching cards to pay for the rooms. Sorry if I inconvenienced you on the job by asking a couple questions.

Good thing is the view - we had a great view from the 14th floor. Inside the room it could use a sprucing up as a lot of the veneer on the desk was coming off and pieces were literally on the floor. Room was decent size, but bathroom was pretty tiny, but no big deal.

Concierge lounge was closed, but they had a breakfast setup in the lobby which was decent and well staffed. Coffee was one of the best I've had in a lounge lately.

I'd stay here again, but only after trying out the other marriotts in the area - which there are a lot!

Stay was fine - but not the level I was expecting to be honest. Marriott - if this is your flagship, make it so.

Room Tip: Ask for a high, outward facing room. We had room 1409 - see photo for view. Street noise can be some...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the JW Marriott Washington DC. I apologize for not meeting your expectations, which are more than reasonable. Our associates strive to be open to requests and questions and thoughtful about how they provide information we can use to improve your experience.

The JW Marriott Washington is the very first of the JW Marriott branded hotels in the world and is proudly called The Flagship by our dedicated associates. Today JW Marriott is one of the fastest growing luxury brands in the world with locations in thirty eight countries. We measure guest satisfaction against these great hotels and are eager to earn your loyalty when you stay in Washington DC.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Staff is very nice. They didnt honor my king bed request but two doubles was fine for me. Entrance is pretty. Staff is great, bar is nice. The housekeeping service was excellent.
If you get a great rate, stay there. If money wasn't a concern I would stay at the Willard or the W.

• Stayed March 2013
Braintree, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am a Marriott guy. I stay in about a hundred Marriott properties a year. I am sorry to say this one really didn't cut it for me. It has a great location, but other than that it lacked in many ways. The room is nothing to write home about. I really wasn't pleased that the only curtain that could be closed was the thin linen curtain. This really made privacy a challenge. I had dinner in the restaurant one night and frankly the food just wasn't very good. Then this morning I received my pre ordered breakfast late and with sausage instead of bacon and no to go cup for the coffee both of which I had not time to remedy. I really would have expected more based on the nightly rate and the fact that Marriott referees to this property as the "Flagship JW Marriott". I have stayed in far better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington DC, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for providing this feedback. I apologize for the late and inaccurate breakfast order. Asa frequest traveler myself I understand how important it is to get it right the first time. Thank you for your loayalty to Marriott. I hope that should you return to Washington DC you will consider us again and feel comfortable reaching out to me before you arrive to look after your stay.

Dan McKeon Resident Manager
JW Marriott Washington DC

Been to JW Marriott Washington DC? Share your experiences!