“Perfect location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Washington DC

You added JW Marriott Washington DC to your Saves list
JW Marriott Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Lexington, South Carolina
“Perfect location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

For my first trip to DC I was not sure what to expect from this hotel or location, and I was happily surprised. The hotel was in the perfect location, just two blocks from the White House, numerous museums and the wonderful green space called "the mall". We had quite a long walk to our room, but that is the only minor negative that I have with the hotel. The restaurant does not get great reviews here on TripAdvisor so we did not even try it. There were several top rated restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk, and with just 3 nights in town there were a few options other than the hotel restaurant. It's nice to have a Starbucks right there in the lobby as well.

The room was very clean and well equipped, and quite comfortable for a business traveler. It's nice to have familiar accommodations for people that travel a lot, and Marriott does that quite well. The staff was very friendly and helpful when needed. The hotel is their flagship hotel and quite impressive overall, with massive crystal chandeliers in the lobby, and lots of conference space. I will most likely stay here again the next time we come to town, unless the lovely Willard Hotel next door has similar rates. Not sure about their rooms, but the lobby is truly amazing. Stop by and take a look and a few photos if you get a chance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is supposed to be Marriott's premium brand hotel. In reality, this just means a Marriott with better soaps and a conference center. This property is just par for the course for large DC conference hotels.

The property was clean and well appointed; fine room with comfortable bed, good tv, and nice bath products.

However, the negatives outweighed the positives during my stay. Room walls are shockingly thin, and I could hear the conversations from the neighboring room. The elevator system is just odd and not efficient. My colleague and several other people on the same floor had the electronic room keys malfunction, and fixing the problem seemed to be overly complicated and time consuming. Check in was not what one expects for a premium property. The woman at the desk was not polite, with no eye contact, mumbling, and just disinterested in service. Final problem was that there were billing problems after check out that took time and effort to sort out.

I would only stay here again if I was a captive audience for a conference. For the price of this hotel, there are much, much better options in DC.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at the JW Marriott for 3 nights. It was a slow weekend and I received a complementary upgrade to a room on higher floor with a view of the Washington Monument. The hotel was very clean and well maintained, linens and bed was comfortable. The restaurant has a great breakfast buffet (omelet/egg/waffle/pancake station, cheese blintzes, and all the normal buffets items) but it was expensive at $25 per adult. We only ate there once since Starbucks was also in the hotel and offered all we really needed for coffee and breakfast. Location is great, felt safe although coming back at night we saw a few homeless people sleeping on streets and some street beggars too. I would return in a heartbeat, no need for me to consider another hotel with such great location and affordability.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Attended a conference here in November and brought my family. We had a nice time. The room was not big, but it was plush and comfortable. It was a little cramped for all 4 of us, but the location can't be beat. We are Gold Elite members, and we had a nice standard room that looked out to the front of the hotel, and we could see the Washington Monument from our window! All the major DC sites are within walking distance - White House, Smithsonians, etc.

Parking was expensive - only valet available, and it cost $48 (maybe $50). Very expensive.
I don't think they had a concierge lounge; if they did, we didn't get access to it. The restaurants were not cheap. Food was your average good hotel restaurant. But the service was very nice. The staff let me leave my kids watching TV in the lounge for lunch while I ran back and forth between the convention and to check on my kids. They even changed the channel to a show that my kids watned to watch. Very nice service.

I wish the rates were more reasonable, but I would probably stay here again. I would bring my own snacks and drinks to save money. There's so much to do and see in DC, that if you stayed here, you probably could walk everywhere. I think the property location is the best part of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the JW Marriott this past weekend. The hotel is very well located, just minutes from the White House and Museums. Our room was a little small, but was well maintained and the bed was very comfortable. We would definitely go back. The desk staff and Concierge were very helpful. The gym was well equipped.
A very safe choice for a weekend away or a business stay.

Room Tip: Get a room near the elevator. It is a large hotel and it can be a long walk to the lower numbered ho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel's staff rolls out the red carpet for visitors. It's quite refreshing that everyone from the maids to bellhops to front-desk clerks are so gracious and helpful. I appreciated the hotel made a mini-fridge available to me for medical needs. The rooms are great, beds comfy, and I had a great view of the Washington Monument. There is a CVS a block or two away, a full Starbucks inside and walkable restaurants, like the Occidental Grill (see my review). My only complaint is that being at this hotel for a conference meant quite a few meals for the masses. A colleague got ill from the potato salad, and although I had been assured the food would be labeled to accommodate gluten/soy/dairy/nut allergies, it never was. I will say that the time I ordered room service, it was hands down above and beyond the conference food - not even comparable really. I highly recommend the hotel, just forewarning to pack some snacks if you are attending for a conference!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a stay using Marriott Rewards points for the evening of July 4th. I was hoping to land a room looking out over the Mall and Washington Monument to watch the fireworks display. Despite being flooded with people checking in, the superb front desk staff quickly assisted those ahead of us and provided us a choice room overlooking the Monument. Breakfast in the concierge lounge the following morning was good, though a bit crowded with 4th of July revelers like myself. The location and quality of service of this hotel is also hard to beat. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Washington Monument.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Washington DC? Share your experiences!