“My go to hotel in DC.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Washington DC

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Washington DC to your Saves list
JW Marriott Washington DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 20% In DC
Ranked #69 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
“My go to hotel in DC.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

JW is the premier location for Marriott. Close enough to the necessary Washington commercial area, yet situated off the road enough for peace and quiet. The JW is also within a short walk to the tourist site and the National Mall. Service and accomodations are excellent. There is also sufficient restaurant choices in close proximity My number one choice in DC.

• Stayed August 2012

1,461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We recently took our two boys, ages 8 & 10, to Washington DC. We stayed at the JW for 4 nights and thought it was a very good choice, esp for our children. The lobby was very inviting and had an upscale bar that served good tapas style bites. We opted for a room that overlooked Pennsylvania Avenue (upcharge) and the breakfast plan (worth every penny!!) The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The bathrobes were a nice touch. I would say however, that even by DC standards, the room was a bit small for the price.

The location of this hotel was great. Only two blocks for the Metro and a block from the White House. Many excellent restaurants are located nearby and the concierge is very good about hailing cabs if need be. The pool area was decent. Nothing too fancy but it did offer towel service and a hot tub. The staff was very attentive and helpful from the front desk to the maid service. We would consider staying here again

Room Tip: This is a very busy hotel. Consider staying far away from the elevators and asking for the top floor...
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I got there early afternoon, and they informed me that my room was not ready, but that they would send the maid to service, and call me so that I could check in. Lucky for me there is a Starbucks in the lobby and I had work to do. 2 hours later, I had not received a phone call, so I went to the front desk to inquire about the status of my room. Two differnt employees were working at the desk. When I asked about my room, the male replied "that it isn't ready and check in time is 4:00 P.M.". I expleined to him what the other gentleman had told me, and the woman behind the desk chimed in with "I don't know whey he told you that, we don't do that, and 4:00 is check in time", in the rudest attitude possible. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased with the treatment that I received. Given the proximity of the hotel to The White House, the Willard, and the moniker of the JW name, I expected more. Givent that I am Gold, I have been treated much better, at Marriott's lesser brand hotels. In fact, my recommendation to the General Manager is that he fire both employees, and hire the employees from the Residence Inn in Pentagon City. Adam, the night desk clerk, who checked me into that hotel the previous Saturday, could teach the JW staff the meaning of customer service. The hotel itself is beautiful and would be a complete 5 if itwasn't for the attitude and treatment that I recieved.

Room Tip: Don't try to check-in one second early.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

As a GSR in a hotel myself, I was expecting a bit more out of this hotel. It ranks higher in competition than the one I work for, and I must say I was a little disappointed. The linens on the bed are white, yet i found several black marks on the sheets and the pillows. I also get that it is located in the District, but the prices for the mini bar are RIDICULOUS. My stay was only for one night, so on a scale of 1-10 I would rate this at a 6 for the accomodation needs I had. For a longer stay...I would probably find a different hotel. The only thing I liked was the Starbucks located in the lobby,

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor...not a single sound was heard from the street or in the halls. Great slee...
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Since this is a JW Marriott and not a regular Marriott, I had high expectations. My sister and I had plans to go to the Kennedy Center, and this hotel had excellent rates (maybe a special rate?) for our Sunday evening stay. We had a 10th floor room near the elevators, facing Pennsylvania Avenue, and the view was spectacular. Normally we like rooms far from the elevators, but here it was not a problem -- the elevators are separated from the hallways leading to the rooms so you really can't tell you're right across the hall from them.

The room was small, but the setting and amenities (plush bathrobes, higher-end toiletries) made up for it. We knew about the minifridge and snacks tray being motion-sensitive so we didn't touch any of it unless we intended to purchase something (the price list is, luckily, provided outside the minifridge).

My sister is in the Gold Elite level of the loyalty program, so we had access to the concierge lounge. It's one of the nicer Marriott concierge lounges I've used, a more extensive breakfast selection than most. We had a Sunday evening drink and small bite in the bar after we returned from the theatre. Prices were high, as we expected, but not unreasonable given the quality of the food and drink that we had.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance or a short Metro ride from this hotel. You're within walking distance of the monuments and Smithsonian museums so it's ideally located for sightseeing. The Metro itself is about 2 blocks away so it's a quick ride from the airport or train station (unless you have a lot of luggage, in which case I'd say take a cab).

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I don't really have a bad word to say about this hotel, everything about it was fantastic.
The room size, the food, the staff, the location, all incredible.
You are withing walking distance of all of the top attractions at DC. Also several very nice restaurants and bars.
If i were to visit Washington D.C again (which i will!) I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A tip would be to ask for a room facing the monuments, because that view is just breath-taking. If y...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Accra, Ghana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Hotel is great and is located on Pennsylvania Avenue, a 5-min walk away from the White House. The rooms are nice, the staff are friendly and the facilities (such as the gym) are wonderful - there's even a Starbucks inside the hotel. My only criticism is that they didn't provide plug adaptors for the rooms, and the shop charged $20 to purchase one. Other than that, it's a great place to stay in a great city.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Washington DC? Share your experiences!