“Convenient walking distance to DC landmarks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 New Jersey Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #74 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Convenient walking distance to DC landmarks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a great hotel if you are planning a trip to DC and want to be a few blocks from the National mall area. After a long day of sightseeing we retreated to the 11th floor to the club - yummy snacks, desserts, and cheaper drinks than other nearby restaurants. We also used the club for a quick coffee and breakfast before heading out again for another day of sightseeing. I highly recommend this hotel for tourists (and becoming a Hyatt card member to make the most of club benefits).

1,542 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed in this hotel this past week and found it to be just great. I did not leave a wake up call, as there is an alarm clock right by the bed that does the job just fine, though I would have been terribly troubled and alarmed if a male someone entered my room to wake me as was the case documented by previous reviewers - I agree this is a policy which must be changed. However, back to my review - the room was very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, the staff I interacted with were very friendly, and the location was fabulous. One minor issue - the toothpaste was opened - this was not an issue for me as I had my own, but I thought it an error, so I threw it away - next day, new toothpaste, but it too was opened - normally, a new tube of toothpaste will have foil under the cap indicating it had not been tampered with, but these tubes did not - to be safe, I did not use the toothpaste, but that aside, I would stay here again and recommend the hotel based on this stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Voorhees, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I brought my mother and my son to this hotel. We were celbrating 2 birthdays and a trip to tour the White House for my mother. The staff here was wonderful! In particula, I want to mention Chelsea at checkin. She was great! She arranged a sweet little surprise for all 3 of us!

I have stayed at many hotels... all over the world... but this was a first where it was a requiremnent that a bell erson take your bags to your room. It was a welcome surprise, as I was all set to schlep them up to my room myself. ;0)

Our stay was very enjoyable. The location was close to everything that we wanted to see and do in D.C.

The breakfast buffet was nice and the staff there were accomdating as well.

I would stay here again.

Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I am deeply troubled and concerned by a "protocol" in place at this hotel. While staying at this hotel last weekend, my 14 year old and her four teammates (ages 15, 16) were frightened by a security guard who entered their room ALONE to wake them up at 7:21am after they asked for a wake-up call. Nothing is more frightening especially for children to have a stranger enter their room while they slept. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? After speaking to the "weekend" staff and security staff this is standard protocol. How is this safe for the guests or employees????? The staff handled this in a disgusting manner. NO APOLOGy nor concern was shown. All we kept hearing was this is protocol and we are confident in our procedures. IS THIS WHERE YOU WOULD WANT TO TAKE YOUR FAMILY??? Two days later an apology was received by the upper management. Really? Was he the only one concerned with the welfare of his guests? I do not recommend this hotel unless there is a MAJOR change in their protocol and customer service,

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, A Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Good Evening Laura H,

Thank you so much for outlining the issues you had while bringing your group to us- I presume this is the same incident another reviewer was referring to. I'm terribly sorry to hear of how this incident was handled. I'm forwarding your comments to both local and regional management to ensure future incidents like this are approached much more professionally. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we may assist with.

Evan V - A Guest Relations Associate
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

While the food at Article One is good the service is abysmal. We ate here a second time on the strength of the food from the first time. So the quality of the food does not excuse the lousy service. For a 5 star hotel the service was one star.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Hello lynmore58,

We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review on your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. I am so sorry to hear about the lack of customer service you received while dining with us. I will definitely be in contact with our Food and Beverage director and have them follow up with customer service coachings. We hope this does not deter you from coming back and hope to see you soon.

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

STAY AWAY!! What an absolute Horror show. Stayed here last weekend for a softball tournament. 4 young ladies were sleeping in their room one fourteen year old, 2 fifteen year olds and 1 sixteen year old when a security guard used his master key to enter their room at 7:21 in the morning to wake them up. Imagine the terror these young ladies went through to wake up to a strange man in their room. This is the kind of thing that can lead to something terrible. When all four of the girl’s parents complained to hotel staff we were told at each turn that this is standard operating procedure. Even when we escalated this to upper management at the hotel we got the same response. The staff here handled this situation so poorly it was disgusting. There are so many choices in the DC area, my advice is stay at another hotel that does not have security guards entering rooms any time they feel like it.

Good Evening Sean R,

Thanks for sharing your experience from the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. I am so sorry to hear about the disturbance from security during your visit and hopefully our hotel management was able to assist you with this matter. If not, we are more than happy to assist you with any concerns or comments you may have. Please contact us at social.media@hyatt.com. Hope we are able to make your next visit a better experience.

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
Lexington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Loved the location. We came in Amtrak at Union Station, so the very short walk to the hotel (about 3 blocks!) was so easy and getting the Mall area was a quick walk too. The staff was so friendly on check-in and the friendly welcome continued throughout the hotel. We had two rooms booked and they were just fine though a bit on the small side. Bathrooms were updated. One had a shower stall and the other a tub, so if a tub is a necessity for your family, I recommend asking for that. The pool area is nice but there is no jacuzzi, which disappointed me. Thankfully the pool itself was nice and warm. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant is both a la carte and buffet (with omelette station but no pancake or french toast when we were there.) All was very tasty and the service was prompt. Gift shop is handy for snacks. All around the room rate was a good value for our family vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!