“Nice hotel, valets were rude, not convenient to restaurants” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

You added Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 New Jersey Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #71 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Nice hotel, valets were rude, not convenient to restaurants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here over a long weekend while my husband ran the Marine Corps Marathon...this was the headquarter hotel. The bad impressions began as we pulled up to the front of the hotel. Valet at the hotel was $48 a night and when we inquired about other options we were told that self garage parking was available but no one would tell us where that was. We unloaded our stuff, not a single bell guy even attempting to help and I am visibly pregnant, and I was left to manage 2 suitcases and several carry bags while several people looked on. I actually had tip money in my hand but was happy to keep it after that display. My husband returned quickly. before I had even checked in and reorted that he had found parking basically across the street at the Hall of States for $12 bucks a night...SCORE! We checked and went to our room which was nice if a bit small. We were heading to the armory for my hubs to pick up his marathon material and were planning on getting a cab, but as we were walking to the elevator several other running were talking about a shuttle...we inquired and were told that there was a shuttle for runners going back and forth from the hotel to the armory specifically for this reason. No one at the hotel bothered telling us, even when we said 'we are here for the race'. The shuttle was a great perk.

Rooms were mice but there was a TON of noise from the hallway all night. I literally did not sleep a wink one night due to people screaming up and down the hallway like animals all night one night. The way the hallway was configured I couldn't see which room they were in so reporting it to the front desk wouldn't have helped. But even without the idiots, the rooms were not very quiet. OH and the hotel is directly across from a fire station...you WILL hear sirens!!!

Anyhow...more on the hotel. Don't expect a lot of food/shopping options in the area...this is an office district and you'll have to walk 10-15 minutes to get to something other than a starbucks or cheap burger joint, longer for more options. And there is an overnight homeless shelter/soup kitchen around the corner so don't be alarmed by a large number of people gathering in the evenings...they are just waiting for a meal and warm bed for the night. We passed through that area multiple times and it was never a problem. Its a pretty quick walk to Union Station which is convenient for transit as well as the red line in the opposite direction for a less intimidating station.

We ate dinner the night before the marathon at the hotel restaurant which was quite good. They had set up a pasta buffet for the night since so many runners were at the hotel and it had a lot of great options...and the best macarons (little French cookies) I've had this side of Paris. One miss was the crab and shrimp cocktail I had to start...one piece of crab and the tomato base tasted like cold vegetable soup. But overall very good and we had great service here from several people.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators...lots of noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Stafford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is a great hotel with great amenities and location but if you have can, DO NOT USE VALET. I used the valet and and they stole items from my locked glove box. If they are going to charge $48 to park your car for 24 hours then they better not steal your personal items since they are already stealing money from your wallet. I reached out to management to get my incident handled properly and they ignored my claim. Besides stealing items from my car they all had the personality of a rock and were not very expeditious when bringing my car in order for me to leave. I waited for almost 30 minutes for my car and I was the only there! If you stay here, use a car service(not a cab) just don't leave your car at valet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Good Afternoon Steve E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. We are thrilled to hear about you loving the hotel and the amenities we offered during your visit. I am so sorry to hear about your car and belongings and I definitely understand your frustration! We would love to speak with you about this matter because we find it extremely disappointing management didn't help with your claim. Please contact Guest Relations or send us an email at social.media@hyatt.com. Can't wait to hear from you.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I thought this hotel was one of if not the best hyatt I have stayed at! The service was incredible. The staff were all so so so amazing! The manager at the restaurant was so kind and thoughtful! Even at check out I was driven by a black Yukon to the airport by someone at their staff!! I appreciate them so much! I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you found the service to be incredible. We have a great staff that prides themselves on providing top notch service for our guests. Your recommendation is our greatest compliment and we look forward to your next visit!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
Edmonds, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I have stayed at many Hyatt Hotels and always found them to be very nice, I found this Hyatt to be a big disappointment. On the positive side the location is very convenient, the breakfast buffet was well done and the lobby area is nice. Here is the problem, we were on the ninth floor the first night, the street noise went on all night long. They have put a noise canceling machine by the beds (must not be a new issue) but it couldn't drown out the noise. In the morning we awoke to construction noise, looked out the window to see a huge building being erected we asked to move to a quieter room which they accommodated us on (ask for an atrium facing room). The lighting in the bathroom was poor to say the least and with no makeup mirror it made it difficult, there is also no fan in the bathroom. Even expected amenities such as a shower cap and q-tips were not in the room. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Street rooms are VERY noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Expat OS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I've stayed here a few times, because of the location and my membership of the Hyatt loyalty program. Previous stays have been a lot better. Hyatt can't help this, but the streets around this area of the Hill are getting worse. Three or four panhandlers immediately outside of the hotel, and a family of rats competing for the sidewalk garbage. A cluster of drunks on the corner as you make your way up to Union Station. I frequently felt unsafe outside, though inside is a different story. The proprerty has been there a long time, in fact it's a bit of a landmark, so I do appreciate the fact that they've managed to keep it up to date on the inside. The lobby area is still lovely and feels spacious and comfy.

Service was only so-so; reception was kind of abrupt and there was absolutely no personalized service (no greeting by name, small talk, nothing. It was like I was paying for groceries). When I got to my first room, it was a twin, though I'd requested a King. The (gruff) bellhop came to change me to another room, which hadn't been cleaned. The third room, an 'upgrade' to a corner suite was fine, but for the extra space, there is no extra ambience. All those bare walls, and tiny window, feels a little bit cold and unwelcoming. Nice apologetic call from the Assistant Manager however, and some chocolates later, so I can't criticize the save. Just…. why can't I just have what I asked for?

This was the noisiest stay I'd ever had. Walls are thin, and it's hard to tell whose door is being knocked on (I 'answered' my door a few times to see that it was actually for the neighbor.) I stayed for five nights, and was woken by conversation in the hallway every night, and I am not an especially light sleeper. On the first night 'housekeeping' knocked at almost 1030 to do turndown service. Not cool.

No fridges in the rooms; I like the hypo-allergenic and environmentally friendly hotel policies, but the heat/AC was unpredictable (and noisy). The prices in the shop downstairs if you want a drink or a snack are completely exorbitant. The gym is well appointed and I got a lot of use out of it.

In short, while this hotel is fine, it is definitely nothing special, and I had no experiences here that would make me feel like I was in any sense a 'guest'. For that price, for an ostensibly five star hotel, I expect the experience to set itself a little apart from a nice-ish big room and a semi-plush lobby in which the staff are totally indifferent about my stay.

Room Tip: Unless you have a LOT of luggage, the corner room 'upgrade' which I did not pay for, feels l...
Green Features: I particularly like their low allergy options… though I would love if the rooms could be a constant temperature. Is this connected in some way to energy savings?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Amazing location and great views from this hotel room. Hotel Staffs are very courteous. All the requests are attended to the details. Will look forward to come back to this hotel. Definitely recommended for anyone searching a good place to stay in Washington Capitol Area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recommendation! I really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such outstanding feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed our location and found the staff to be very accommodating. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Washington on your next visit to D.C.!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed at Hyatt for 8 days business + pleasure. Great location near the Capitol and Union Station. Room was good size with desk area, nice TV, dresser, safe. Bathroom needs more counter space and shower needs makeover, but water pressure awesome (not enviro-friendly at all). Staff was great-Carlos and Megan took care of my requests very professionally and accurately. Wifi not free in room which is the only reason I wouldn't stay here again. $10 per day gets pricey and adds up when you are already paying Hyatt prices for food/drinks/gift shop- expensive! Store across street next to fire station has wine, food, liquor at good prices for DC.

Get plastic metro card for $10 and you have $8 in fare money left over to ride any time. Cabs are at hotel day and night. $30 from airport. Bike share in DC is well worth the $7 fee for 24hrs. You use credit card, get code & lift bike up & out of the rack and can ride everywhere. Pay attention to Bikeshare locations which are all over the city. Return bike at any rack within 30 min and there is no additional cost for that leg of your trip. Best way to see Natl Mall & monuments. Night tour of monuments on bus is also great. Only downside was trolley had plastic windows & you can't take photos through it. Cost $40.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, the room and the service provided by our staff. I will be sure to address your concerns about the WiFi, water pressure and set up of the bathroom. We always appreciate any suggestions on how we can improve our guest's experience. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!