“Great visit!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

You added Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 New Jersey Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 15%
Ranked #66 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“Great visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 5 days while attending a meeting. The staff was great! There was a couple housekeeping issues and they went out of their way to help. Very impressed with how they handled it. Room service was great and quick!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

this is an older hotel only 2 blocks from the capital 3 blocks from Union Stationary.Good size room never of view ,its 11 stories tall surrounded by buildings in excessof that. Food is expensive but many restaurants in the area more reasonably priced.the rooms are too small for a family.Overall experience is good

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mooresville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very nice hotel and great for a short walk to the Hill. Many many groups getting ready to make visits to their congressment and senators. Because of this, probably not the best hotel for vacationers. Staff responsive and more than courteous. Several nice restaurants within easy walking distance. Have been here many times for the Hill thing and always welcome the return.
Union station is also only about 3-4 blocks away. Again, very convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My stay at the Hyatt was amazing, the hotel is just beautiful, the view amazing and the staff so helpful, Loved the face that there is a Starbucks onsite, gift shop was reasonable too, I will most definitely be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Vicki M,

Thank you for taking a moment to share comments about your recent visit to our Hyatt Regency Washington. It is delightful to hear how your stay exceeded your expectations. Our employees will be recognized for the friendly and knowledgeable assistance you experienced. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington DC.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Grand Cayman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here because of its location but were pretty disappointed in some of the service and cleanliness, plus they charge guests $50 for valet when you can park on the road for free right out front.
The location was great as we were 5 mins from all the sights we wanted to see plus pretty close to go out at night down town.
We left a pillow in the room only to go back to pick it up 2hrs later and find out house keeping had made it their own and it had vanished from sight......strange as it was an $80 pillow!!!
We would go back to DC but would find somewhere else as for the price you pay there are plenty of options

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place truly sucks! I strongly recommend people not to come here. The service is very bad and it's super noisy overnight. On the first night around 9pm, we tried to call the front desk but the room phone was broken. We called via cell phone to request for an additional towel; we waited for 2 hours and still didn't get it. I walked to the front desk to ask about it, the guy said - "oh, you sure you called 2 hours ago? Cuz they just told me a second ago". I asked him nicely please give us another towel cuz we are waiting to shower and the guy promised he will take care of it immediately. The towel never came that night!!!!!!! Another thing that bothered us much more is the constant noise from the employee walk way next to our room and the room above us. The sound proof system is super lousy and their employees pushes carts around and bumps the carts into the wall like a million times at night and in the early a.m. (Like from 1am through 7am), for the 4 nights I stayed here, I slept less than 3 hours per night. It's ridiculous someone starts vacuuming the room above us and moves furnitures around in the room above us at 3am or 4am. My stay here really sucked, not only the service sucked but also the staying environment/quality. I came to DC for vacation, not to come here to experience sleepless nights and bad services. I will definitely NEVER come here again. And I do not recommend this place to anyone. Their price may seem competitive but it's totally not worth it!!

• Stayed September 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi Cherry3wy,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Washington. It is disappointing to learn of your stay not meeting your expectations. The delay in receiving extra towels to be placed in your room seem as though it was an isolated incident. Our employees take great pride with ensuring our guest's needs are met, and I would like to apologize for this. I hope you will give us a second opportunity to host you. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back for a better Hyatt experience.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for business, as part of a group for a conference, so I didn't pay the bill, but I know that the rooms were pretty expensive...more than I think they'd be worth. Also, it cost $50/day to valet your car, which was outrageous to me, but apparently standard in DC? I also had to pay extra for wifi internet. I've complained about this before, but again, why motels can provide free wifi and nicer hotels can't I will never understand. Well, yes, I guess I can understand: They expect their guests to be suckers is what I suspect. Anyway, I can't deal w/o wifi, so I paid $15/day for it. Again, I thought that was outrageous as well.

The staff was nice, and the room was clean. Not nearly enough counter space in the bathroom...actually, there isn't really a bathroom counter, just a ledge. Oh, the building was also FREEZING. Seriously, like a meat locker. Most places in the US like to go nuts with AC, but this was too much.

Now to the title of my review. The fire alarm went off at 4am the last night I was there. Everyone left (taking the stairs of course) the building, and we all watched from outside waiting for the hotel to start going up in flames. It didn't, thankfully, and we all went back to our rooms shortly after, but it was unsettling to say the least. It's never happened in any other hotel where I've stayed. When I was checking out, I asked if they might not cut me a break on account of that inconvenience (I don't know, cover the internet or parking for a day or something), and the gentleman kept saying that it was for my safety. I said I understood and appreciated it, that I realized it wasn't their fault, but that it was an inconvenience nonetheless and as a hotel, they should care about that stuff. Ultimately, he took $25 off my bill, which was nice, but I still think it wasn't enough and he argued with me too much.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business