“Weekend Getaway for (3)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

You added Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 New Jersey Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #71 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Suffolk, Virginia
“Weekend Getaway for (3)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well for starters we knew this hotel was geared towards Business clients. However, the place was nice King Suite. But, what I realized I was never asked if I were a Gold Passport member, maybe I could of gotten some perks ie; Free breakfast for a day you know, something. Anemities were good. Well I have to call Hyatt cause I didn't get my points for the weekend, whew imagine that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in early August with my family. I am a Hyatt Gold Passport member and made the mistake of booking through a third party (Priceline). This meant that I couldn't upgrade the booking online or via phone. However, upon arrival I paid for the upgrade to the Capital Suite. This meant the overall cost for this room was about USD250. This was significantly more than a base room but.......

This room was without doubt one of the best hotel rooms I have enjoyed anywhere in the world. The suite is HUGE and I mean REALLY HUGE with a completely separate dining table and living room (with a fold out sofa bed). This connects to a very large bedroom and bathroom. If you are travelling with young kids this is a perfect room.

The breakfast was a good standard and worth having though it isn't cheap.

Two negative points:

1. exorbitant parking charges which were USD48 per night. This was really disappointing particularly as I belong to the hotel's own membership program.

2. location is a bit detached from many of the key attractions with the exception of the Capital Building which is basically across the road

Would I stay here again? Absolutely and I would book the same room. I would probably leave the car at home next time!

Room Tip: Go for the Captial Suite, great room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Hi Kosta100,

Thank you for going out of your way to provide feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Washington. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time as our guest. I am delighted to hear how much you and your family liked our larger guest rooms. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I hope you will stay at our hotel again, on your next visit to DC.

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was the first time I booked a room with Hyatt Gold Passport points (I am a Platinum member). There was only one rate available: king-size bed, no breakfast. Why not include additional options for additional points?¿?

Check-in process:
- I asked the receptionist to speak more slowly since I couldn’t understand her but she kept speaking very fast. I am a Platinum member but there was no welcome gift or anything special during the check-in process

Hotel staff:
- it was a busy weekend and the staff was overwhelmed and not very nice with the guests

Preferences:
- my preferences are low floor and room close to the elevator. They gave me a top floor and almost the farthest room from the elevator

Light:
- terrible light in the rooms to either work or read in bed. Room doesn’t have centralized switch-on / switch-off so each day you have to go to each lamp to turn on the lights and then turn them off one by one before going to sleep

Switches:
- Adaptors didn’t hold properly in the switches

Corridors:
- The carpet was so thick that it was difficult to move the carry-on

Cleanliness:
+ clean room and bathroom

Room size:
Standard room size

Wifi internet access:
+ I had it included in my room rate
- It turned off after being connected for an hour so had to restart the computer and reconnect again

Closet:
- small and few hangers

Drawers:
+ large and enough

Shower:
- no handheld shower, no massage options, no fan available in the bathroom

Safe:
+ easy to use and large space for the laptop

TV:
+ you can move it so you can watch it while working at the desk, reading on the sofa or in bed

Mini-bar:
+ there is an empty mini-fridge where you can put your personal beverage or food

Bed:
+ large and comfortable bed

Pillows:
- too soft

Air conditioning:
+ easy to use
- the noise of the air conditioning was similar to a plane about to take off. If you have problems to sleep, avoid these rooms

Coffee / tea:
+ free coffee and tea in the room. Coffee is replaced during your stay

Free water:
- no free bottles

Other amenities:
- nothing except for the standard soap-shampoo

Noise:
- you can hear conversations and people going through the corridor, when people close their room doors, my room door moved too, the air conditioning makes a terrible noise

Elevators:
- many elevators available but I had to wait for 20 minutes each time I had to take the elevator

Breakfast:
- not included in my room rate so I bought food and drink in the Wallgreens supermarket

Check-out process:
- they charged me for parking even though I had no car

Flight auto-check in:
+ a computer and a printer are available at the hall to make the flights’ auto-check in and they are located in a corner so that you can type your passwords with some privacy

The area:
- the only but is that there are several shelters close to the hotel, so every time you leave the hotel there are people asking for money, food, cigarettes,…
+ If you want to take the Old Town Trolley Tours, they come to pick you up to the hotel so it is very convenient
+ Sightseeing: Union Square station and Capitol Hill are a 10-minute walk away. National Gallery of Art, National Archives, National Museum of Natural History are a 15-minute walk away. The National Museum of the American Indian, the National Air and Space Museum, the National Museum of African Art are a 20-minute walk away. Chinatown is a 15-minute walk away.
+ Drugstores/supermarket: CVS is a 15-minute walk away, Walgreens a 20-minute walk away
+ Malls: Union Square mall is a 10-minute walk away
+/- Dining area: you have to walk a little bit to go to Chinatown to find different options for lunch-dinner

Guest market: I didn’t need anything during this visit and didn’t see if there is a guest market in the hotel
Souvenir shop: if you have time to go any of the souvenir shops in Chinatown avoid this shop since the prices are too high
Room service: not requested during this visit
Laundry service: not requested during this visit
Gym/pool: I don’t know if there are any available

Distance to Ronald Reagan airport:
Depending on the traffic, it takes 10-20 minutes
The supershuttle charged USD 24,00.

Green Features: There are no such practices: they changed towels despite hanging them for not being changed. They changed the soap. There is no centralized light switch that automatically turns off when leaving.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for going out of your way to share such extensive feedback about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your stay failed to meet all of your expectations. I’m glad that you found the TV, mini-refrigerator, safe, and flight check-in stations to be convenient and to your liking. I will forward your comments regarding the check-in process, as well as the service throughout your stay, to our Executive management so this can be addressed with our staff. I appreciate the comments you shared regarding changed you would like to see made to the rooms, such as the lighting, a hand-held shower, soundproofing, etc. These will all be taken into consideration for future renovations. I hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back to Hyatt and provide you with the excellent customer service that is indicative of our hotels.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had two nights here on a Saturday/Sunday after a business trip to DC. The hotel is clearly aimed at the business crowd and on weekends it seems to sell rooms a bargain prices to families and tourists. The location is excellent, being a couple of minutes walk from the Capitol end of the mall, although i think some of the streets behind the hotel are not so salubrious so nervous travellers may wish to avoid them if alone or in the dark.

When I arrived the check-in desks were very busy with people checking-out and this appeared to be the case every morning I passed through reception. By busy I mean long queues stretching along the lobby. On the day I checked-out however there was nobody there - this may have been because it was a Monday rather than a weekend.

I had a twin room that was a reasonable size. It was quite gloomy because it had only one narrow window (because it was positioned on a corner). There never seemed to be enough light to properly illuminate the room, but that didn't bother me too much. The bathroom was fine, with a walk-in shower and good toiletries. The shelf above the sink was very narrow so if you have lots of toiletries you might struggle. The television seemed to be a little bit temperamental and occasionally the cable would just cut out for minutes at a time on some channels.

The bed was comfortable but I wasn't particularly pleased with the bedding. The duvet cover was unsealed on three sides - like something you would get in a hostel - which meant the duvet itself inevitably escaped from the cover during the night. I assume this is for easy changing of the bedding but when there are stains on the duvet it's not very appealing.

I had the breakfast buffet one morning and the selection was good - although I was there early and I am not sure what it would be like later in the morning. I was pleased to see gluten-free bread was also available, as well as hot food and an omelet bar. Not sure the buffet was worth the price - around $25 - but the staff were very helpful and friendly.

There is a gift shop in the lobby, which also serves Starbucks coffee. It's handy but it is also outrageously expensive - a bottle of orange juice and a medium tea cost me $12. A tip is to use the West Wing Cafe - just across the road - for any provisions you need. That place is great.

I had planned to use the pool but the one time I tried it was busy with children and parents so I didn't bother - but it looked good.

I didn't have any real problems during my stay and I probably would stay here again if the price was right - but it's the sort of hotel that does just what you need it to do and no more.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room on the interior corner of the quad - mine had only one narrow window and was ver...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family and I decided on a last minute trip to our nation's capital and we were scrambling for a hotel and we found the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. The price was a little high for what I planned to pay, but a neighbor reminded me that the price of hotels in DC will be high in July since we are traveling during the heart of the tourist season, so I kept the reservation.
When we arrived, I saw the hotel, and we were really close to the Capitol and Union Station. Walking distance is about 15-20 minutes. Our room was very nice and clean. Donald, the concierge agent recommended for sightseeing BB Tours and he didn’t steer us wrong (thanks Donald). The fitness room was a unique set up machines were in one room and the cardio equipment in another room. Their restaurant was a little pricey, but the staff was very nice and accommodating. Downside to the hotel, it is not close to other reasonably priced restaurants so if you are hungry late at night and don’t want to venture to Chinatown or anywhere by foot, you might find yourself stuck eating something at the restaurant.
I would recommend the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. It is a good location if you have business on Capitol Hill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I lived in DC for a few year and now every time I come back to visit family and friends, this is my go-to place to stay. I have probably stayed here three times in the last 6 months and each stay has been great. It is walking distance to Union Station, the National Mall and other touristy DC attractions. The rooms are nice and clean and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. It is reasonably priced and well worth it!

The only downside is that depending on where your room is located, you may hear some noise that carries down the hallway or the walls shake from doors shutting. This has only happened to me on one of my few recent stays. Other than that, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed here last year and wrote a review that wasnt that great because I knew Hyatt could do better, and they did. I do want to say that after I wrote that review I was promptly contacted by the hotel to apologize. And no, before I write this, I didnt get anything for coming back. My work requires that I attend a conference held in the Hyatt and since they are paying for it, this is where I stay.
So I was here for 3 days at the end of July 2013 and it could not have been a more enjoyable stay (with one little exception, later). This time instead of traveling alone I brought my husband and kids so they could enjoy DC while I sat in meetings. The room was immaculate and definitely looked like there had been some recent upgrades and renovations done since last summer. The whole hotel felt cleaner and fresher. We got a room with two doubles and there was plenty of room for the four of us.
PROS -
LOCATION - this hotel is so perfectly located. My family walked to the Smithsonian museums, one day (spread anywhere from a few to 8-10 blocks away). Another day they hopped on the Metro (2 blocks away) and went to the Zoo and explored DuPont circle. The third day we all walked to the Capital (5 minutes!) and took the tours and watched Congress in session. At night it was very relaxing to take a drive and see the monuments nearby, as I think they are prettiest at night. Each day when they returned to the hotel everyone went for a swim. The pool is really nice, small, but perfect since there are rarely more than 3-5 people in the pool. In the pool area is their gym which is the nicest one I have seen in a hotel. So much to do, plus plenty of towels, ice water, space, etc. The whole pool/fitness are was so well planned.
BEDS- so comfortable. I like a soft bed, my husband likes a firm bed, yet we both slept really well. Also I foudn this hotel to be very quiet. Maybe it was the floor we were on (7th) but I didnt notice much noise at all, inlcuding the annoying "bam" of nearby hotel room doors opening and closing like I ususally do in a hotel. The bathroom is big and the amenities standard but nice.
SERVICE - I really felt lile everyone we were in contact with was especially nice and warm. As we first entered our room, the housekeeper was walking by, saw there were four of us and immediately brought us more towels and extra TP. I liked her predictive service approach. The rest of the staff was equally helpful.
CONS
AC - DC is hot and humid in the summer and I am still not in love with the AC situation in this hotel. Public areas are fine, but in the rooms I still dont feel like is is running the way I want it to. Dont get me wrong, it is on and it is certainly comfortable, but I still think the room design (where the blower is too close to the thermostat and blows against the drapes) hampers it from getting really cool and dry the way I like it.
GIFT SHOP - ridiculous prices. Even on an expense account, I just cant do it. I know this isnt a Hyatt problem, this is a hotel industry-wide ripoff. But the bright side is that the West Wing cafe is less than a block away and has real people pricing and a great selection.
In the last year I have recommended this hotel to many friends traveling to DC, with the reservations I gave in my last review form last summer. FDrom now on I am happy to say I would recommend this place 100%!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for giving us another opportunity to provide the excellent service that is indicative of Hyatt Regency Washington. I am pleased you and your family had an outstanding stay. It sounds like your family was able to explore and enjoy all the sights and attractions D.C. has to offer. We have a fabulous location within walking distance to several sights and near the metro station for easy transportation. I have shared your comments regarding the air conditioning in your room with our maintenance team. Your thoughtful feedback and recommendation are our biggest compliment. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Washington in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!