“Great Location and Staff, Good Rooms, but Some Drawbacks” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

You added Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 New Jersey Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #71 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Great Location and Staff, Good Rooms, but Some Drawbacks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed recently for three nights at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, and appreciate their great location and attentive and professional staff. My room was reasonably good, but had two double beds and no refrigerator. (What proportion of guests have beds larger than this at home?) The bathrooms were up-to-date. This is an expensive hotel, which makes it questionable that WiFi is available in rooms only for an additional $9.95 per day. Why is it necessary to extract this additional fare? (WiFi was supposedly available at no additional charge in the lobby area, but it never worked for me.) The restaurants and bar were very expensive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Hotel allows you to check in early if you have the fast check in. Lobby is beautiful. Hotel room is very fancy. Blow dryer was awesome. Iron was broke though. The bed was amazing. Shower was also very nice. Room even came with toothpaste and Tazo Tea! Breakfast buffet was amazing and totally worth the add on. They make you any type of omelette and have a bunch of normal buffet foods. The buffet is very health conscious too! The location was pretty good. There aren't a lot of restaurants directly near the hotel, but it's DC, take a walk! If you hate walking, the guy in front of the hotel will get you a cab. Sad I didn't get to use the fitness room or pool, but both looked very nice and fully equipped. Hotel was very quiet and no one bothered us. Hotel has a little store, which is convenient but pricey. Overall, enjoyed a great stay and will return soon.

• Stayed February 2013
Manorville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a last minute 3 day site seeing visit to the District with our two girls (ages 9 and 12). Our two double bed room was clean, but I thought a little bit on the small side.

The location was perfect, just a block from the mall and the Capital.

The room came with 2 free breakfast coupons and we paid 1/2 price for the girls (12 and under), so breakfast cost us $21 a day for 4, and worth every penny; It was a quality buffet too, covering everything from scones and danishes to fruit and smoked salmon, a favorite of mine was the made-to-order omelet station. The breakfast was not an overcrowded feeding frenzy, which was a relief from other places we have stayed.

We used the gym and heated indoor pool on the 2nd floor, the kids really enjoyed the former. We visited it twice and it wasn't crowded.

The parking garage is on the high end at $45 per night, but you can take your car in and out as many times as you like each day.

Great service is important to me and we have pleasant, friendly and attentive service throughout our stay.

Only negative was in the bathroom, we did not care for the pedestal sink with the narrow glass shelf above it. It was't a lot of room for the myriad toiletries a family of 4 can have bring with them. A wide counter-top would've been preferred. But the shower stall (no bath) was excellent.

We plan to return next year to see some of this sites we missed and plan to return to this hotel when we do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at this property for one night during a convention. From the time we pulled up to the valet, until the time our car was brought back to us, we found the staff to be more than accommodating. A drawback was that there is valet only parking at this location and not many other options on the weekend. We like to take advantage of the pool and gym facilities and quite frankly these were more than what we expected. Most properties have a few pieces of equipment that is politely called a "fitness center". This property has plenty of choices in terms of equipment and views. Although we did not eat in the restaurant, the food looked very good and the presentation was appealing. The rooms were quiet and offered plenty of space to relax as well as work. We had no issue with noise despite the entire property being booked for the convention. We agreed that next year we would be booking the entire weekend of the convention!

Room Tip: We were on Floor 2 at street-level. I would recommend a higher floor to avoid noise from traffic an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HRWDC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear HMMR,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our property and amenities. We pride ourselves in offering our guests the same comforts they find at home and I am glad we were able to do so for you. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotel is only two blocks from the capitol building and walking distance to the train, subway, and many tourist sites. The staff was outstanding, every single person was attentive, kind, and professional. I stayed five nights for business. I asked for a quiet room and was put away from the elevator and ice machine. However, I did get stuck over the loading dock which was very noisy during the day. Ask for a room up high. There are restaurants in the area but they are hard to find unless you have directions. I recommend this property.

Dear MMM54,
I want to thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel during your recent business trip. With so many options in the area, I am happy that you chose Hyatt. We receive many compliments about our friendly staff and I will be sure to pass yours along. Perhaps the next time you are with us, you will be able to try the cuisine at Article One American Grill. We hope to see you again!
Georgetown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights here for business. Everyone was pleasant. The room okay except for the dirty iron (the hotel paid to have a shirt cleaned after the iron stained it) and the terrible water pressure in the shower. I actually thought about going to the workout facility just to get a good shower. In addition, the fixtures were loose.

The bed was great! The room was clean. Location good! Food at the restaurant was very good... had dinner there 1 night after long day at the Capital. Very good dinner! Bar was nice.... drinks pricey. While the location is good for Capital Hill, there really isn't any other restaurants close... Union station is a 7 minute walk... for a women alone... not so good.

Anyway, this is the 2nd time I've stayed here. For the money, it's good (especially considering the location) for business. Would I stay there on vacation?... probably not.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HRWDC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear mickir,
Thank you for your feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your newly remodeled guest room and Article One American Grill. I am sorry to hear that the iron in your room was dirty and you were inconvenienced, but I am happy to know that our Housekeeping Team took care of your clothing. Should your travels bring you back to our hotel, the Concierge would be happy to direct you to any of the numerous dining options located less than a block from the hotel. With everything from West Wing Café to Charlie Palmer’s, any palate is sure to be satisfied. We hope to welcome you back to Capitol Hill in the near future!
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Pros: good location (close to airport) and good meeting accommodations; catered food was excellent; restaurant had good service and food quality. Room was clean and bed was comfortable.

Cons: actual hotel room/service did not justify cost. In addition to the premium you will pay for the location, the hotel charges guests for wifi ($10) and bottle of water ($14). The phone on the nightstand was inoperative; I was asked to wait 20 min for guest services to provide me with a bottle of water (no drinks provided in room); the shower head was inoperative resulting in 20% water pressure; toilet was ill positioned (literally two inches from the adjoining wall, no joke see my photo); bathroom was ice cold (no heat).

The hotel was fine for one night's stay, but if my business meeting was not being held at this hotel I would have opted to stay elsewhere. Certainly would not stay here for personal travel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 520-530 (I can't remember my actual room number). Shower does not work.
Dear GeorgiaTech_Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It is with feedback like yours that the hotel and employees can continue to improve and make changes that please our guests. I am truly happy to hear that you enjoyed the newly remodeled guest rooms and Hyatt Grand Beds. I am frequently told that the cuisine and service staff at Article One American Grill is wonderful and I am glad to know that you had a similar experience. While we do offer guest room internet for $9.99, I also invite you to use the complimentary WiFi in the hotel lobby. You will also find guest room internet specials on our Facebook and Twitter pages weekly. You may want to consider our Business Plan package should you stay with us in the future. It includes breakfast for one in Article One American Grill, guest room internet, one pressed shirt, one bottle of water, local and long distance calls to the US and Canada as well as a daily newspaper. I truly hope that we are able to welcome you back to Capitol Hill in the future.
Steve Smith, General Manager

Been to Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!