“A well located convenient Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #123 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Gurgaon, India
“A well located convenient Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

The hotel is situated near the city centre and is conveniently located. The rooms are spacious and provided with all necessities.However ,what is lacking is good arrangement for complementary breakfast,, which to say the least, is miserly.

Room Tip: Hotel is a member of Wyndham Loyalty Programme.
Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Nothing special about this place. The location isn't great for those interested in walking or Metroing but would be fine for those with vehicles. No complaints.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I stayed here in March and when I first walked in it looked nice and clean... Later I went to take a shower and it was disgusting. The shower floor was a nasty brown color. My friends and I left a half full two liter of pepsi in the fridge and the maids stole it along with some more of our food, my friends MP3, and somthing my friend bought at a giftshop. We called customer service to report it and they said we can't help you and hung up.

Never going back there again.

• Stayed March 2010
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

What could be more ideal than a "hotel" featuring six lanes of heavy traffic a mere 30 feet from your door and a freight and passenger train marshalling yard behind you, such that the entire place rumbles and shakes like an underground bunker during an air raid? It's filthy, with all the surfaces --walls, floors, doors, windows-- smeared with grease and fouled with road grime. It's one step up from a sleeping bag curbside at the greyhound station, but that's the best that can be said for it. It's a disgrace, and the marvel of it is, that Howard Johnson allows its name to be affixed to a dump like this.Ignore all talk of nonsense like "free parking" --NOBODY in their right mind would pay to park here; all you're doing is inviting a car break-in-- and that is is "no frills" and so on; this is not a hotel, it is a last resort/desperate recourse for the almost dead-broke. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Marlborough, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We booked this HOJO's expecting some inconveniences and travelling for the first time in a while on a serious budget. With that said we were mentally open to some "inconveniences". The HOJO's is a long walk to the train station unless you are up for an adventure. The sidewalks are not paved and a bit difficult if you are using a stroller. The pool was not open yet and the hotel was on top of the route. The breakfast lacked and they could not locate our reservation and my husband was propositioned by a prostitute while going to get ice for the cooler in the morning. With all of that said- we enjoyed our visit-laugh-but it was for very special reasons. The Ethiopian gentlemen that worked the desk helped us a lot. If we had any questions they answered them. They suggested restaurants, helped us find our way around and enjoyed talking with us when we were eating some of the breakfast items. I would not "generally" recommend this hotel to anyone but if you have any Ethiopian connections or would like to pay little and not plan to be at the hotel except to sleep (trains didn't seem to run at night that we noticed)- I'd say this is an okay place to stay. Just align your expectations to what you are booking and keep them pretty low. With that said- you'll have a good time-laugh.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Ottawa, ONT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

My wife and I were here from 28/03/10 to 04/04/10 (1 week).
I had asked for three different wake-up calls, did not receive any.
The buttons on the clock/radio were so worn off I could not even set the right time, as the radio had been un-plugged.
Stale bread, Extremely mini-muffins, and donuts do not make a continental breakfast.
No transportation from the hotel to the nearest Metro. Front desk is more interested in getting you a gypsy cab (Un-metered taxi), percentage? Cleaning staff do not know how to read a Do Not Disturbed sign.
At check-out the front desk wanted to keep a photo-copy of my driver's license and my credit card, after it had been approved by the Visa company. I'm sorry but I've had my Identity stolen before by this, I was not going to let it happen again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

We had called ahead to check if they do accept coupons and confirmed the days of our travel. THey gave us a phone number to call for reservation, which we also received a confirmation email for the right time and price.
Upon arrival then they refused to accept the coupon and canceled our reservation. We ended up either accepting a price way over our budget or being stranded in DC with two little children without a place to stay. We had other choices of hotels the previous week, but of course I didn't bring those documents with me, on our first mini-vacation since having children...
The staff was not helpful at all. Still waiting on Corporates answer to our complaint.
The room was very clean, equipped with a fridge, TV only had like 10 channels if even, the Continental Breakfast was a box of stale store-bought Donuts and Bagels to choose from.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC? Share your experiences!