“We Love the Helix!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #72 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
NJ
“We Love the Helix!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

This was at least our 5th or 6th time staying at the Helix and we just love it! We were in DC for an extended weekend see 2 specific art exhibits (Rockwell at the Portrait Gallery and Arcimboldo at the National Gallery). We travel with our 2 dogs and that is how we found the Helix to begin with. When we arrived we were welcomed back and our request for a room on a lower floor was respected in addition they upgraded us to a suite (sweeeet!!). We got to our room and got settled by then it was about 4:45 so we went downstairs for the complimentary wine - love it! And who was serving the wine ~ James Adamson (Helix General Manager), we were so happy to meet him! What a wonderful way to start a fun weekend! The rooms are simple, modern, clean with super comfy beds with great soap and lotion! The next day we got up and had a yummy hot breakfast in the Helix Lounge. It included assorted breads/pastry, fresh fruit, juice, coffee/tea, cereal, yogurt, eggs, bacon and sausage. The Helix is a 10 story building in a neighborhood setting. We walked down to the National Geographic Museum and then off to the mall. About 2:00pm we got some subs for lunch and took a taxi back to the hotel ($6.00 or so). We love DC and the Helix is our place to stay! We will be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Flushing, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

My most recent stay at The Helix was as pleasant as ever. This time when I went on business I went with colleagues that were there for the first time. They loved it! It was unique, clean, and very up beat. The staff is always friendly and caring and you always feel like you are coming home. The bubbly hour is fabulous and a great way to meet people. I will continue to stay at the Helix as will my colleagues when visiting DC. Thanks to all the wonderful staff and to James Adamson, general manger, who always takes the time to add a personal touch. See you soon!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

This past weekend my partner & I stayed at The Helix as part of her birthday celebration...from the front door to our 8th floor suite we absolutely loved this hotel. Upon our arrival check in was quick and I was informed that my deluxe king room was upgraded to a king suite in honor of my partners birthday...I couldn't have been more excited especially for the price I paid. The room was very clean and I loved the decor which is part of the reason I chose the Helix in the first place. We went down and enjoyed the "bubbly hour" which was a nice touch! We also brought our dog with us for this stay...and I love that fact that they are openly welcome in the hotel without an extra fee...she loved the room too and made herself right at home. The beds were heavenly and we enjoyed our stay so very much...we can't wait to have another reason to celebrate so that we could come back again!!! Try this hotel for yourself....because some of the other reviews would lead you to believe that this place is less than fab..I disagree completely and I'm so glad I got the chance to form my own opinion.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

I look forward to the Helix each year after working on a large Halloween party. A little rest in a really cool place before heading home. They staff is friendly and helpfule. They rooms clean and quiet. And if you sign up for the rewards club you get free stuff from the minibar.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

This hotel is immaculately clean and well maintained. We were greeted in a friendly manner by the entire staff. Everyone was anxious to be helpful. The check-in staff made sure to explain procedures clearly and offer assistance in any way possible. The location was close to Dupont Circle and other areas were within easy walking distance. It was easy to use public transportation and cabs to get around. Parking your own car and then using the public transportation is the way to go. We have stayed here twice now and been pleased by both of our stays.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Cleveland, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

If you are looking for a hip cool hotel, stay at the Kimpton Rouge, or if you are looking for the exceptional customer service and luxury Kimpton is well known for, then book your trip at the Palomar. We booked our week long stay at the Helix and after one night had to trransfer to the Palomar. The service was plain and simply rude, attention to detail is not present and the rooms are vibrant but starting to look run down. Very noisy too (specially if you have a room between the housekeeping room and the elevators. And forget about going downstairs with a complain/concern as the management will not even come out to take care of your situation. Don't get me wrong, we love Kimpton hotels, and I'm writing my review from my upgraded Executive Suite at the Palomar. Will never stay at the Helix again and don't recomment you waisting your money there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Got a great rate on a corner suite which was very spacious. The hotel is cool and fun and all that. Nice complimentary reception hour brings out many of the guests - comprised of hipsters, artists and global vagabonds. Friendly and accommodating staff complete the experience. A little noisy on Saturday night - and the elevators can take a couple minutes during peak periods.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!