“60's pop decor, attentive staff, animated lounge, great bed(!) -- located in terrific neighborhood!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #74 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

we couldn't have been better situated if we tried. great neighborhood, close to restaurants, public transportation, etc. very hip hotel, warm & attentive staff -- all in all, a fabulous experience. i would stay here again & again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I've stayed at the Helix probably 5 or 6 times while visiting a friend who lives in D.C. I like it better every time I go. The variety of rooms is endless, from kid friendly to roomy suites. Free champagne, soft drinks and wine are often served in the lobby during happy hour. The clerks are very helpful. A great place to go.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I booked the Hotel Helix for the family package, which included a bunk bed room, pizza, ice cream, and soda. From the moment we pulled up, there were issues. The bellman slammed the cab door on my foot. When I needed another cab, there was no bellman to be seen. When I had a drink on the patio, the waitress disappeared for 15-minute stretches. The staff did not seem to know what the family package was and said we'd get two pizzas (turned out that only one was included) and two pints of ice cream (ditto). It took several calls to the front desk to straighten it out. The bunk bed room, while very cool, did not have lights in the bunk bed area or the hallway into the bathroom (where the closet, dresser, and mini-bar were located), resulting in a child falling and skinning her knee because she couldn't see. Finally, a package overnighted to me was not discovered (despite my inquiries) until after we checked out. All in all, a good location (try the Commissary around the corner for breakfast), but not worth the $300/night price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Helix_GM, General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Dear Zoeabbymom,
As General Manager of Hotel Helix I wanted to write to thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent visit. I sincerely apologize that your recent experience did not meet your expectations or the high standards that we are known for. I wanted to inform you that I have thoroughly looked into the bunk room lighting issue and we are adding additional lighting in these areas. I would like to sincerely apologize for the lack of service in the lounge and for the lack of staff knowledge regarding the package you booked with us. Please know that I have personally addresses each of these issues in order to provide flawless service in the future. Thank you again and please feel free to reach out to me at any time.
James
Hotel Helix
Ahmedabad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

We had booked 6 rooms in the hotel and stayed there for 5 nights.

The hotel was at a convenient distance from Walter E Convention centre. The hotel does not have any lobby. The interiors were very impressive for the corridor. The staff although was very slow but very helpful.

The rooms were very very spacious. We had 2 double rooms and each bed in the room was a double bed meaning 4 people could easily live in the same room. The TV was very big and the entire arrangement was very impressive. The bathroom was very clean but was very small as compared to the other similar hotels that i have stayed.

The rate that they charged appeared to me a little expensive but it could be because we booked at a time when all the hotels were having good occupancy.

They had happy hours at a time between 5 to 6 pm. I wished they could have selected a proper time for this as more people could have utilised this.

I might not go to the same hotel at the price at which we booked the hotel. If they offered me a discount of atleast 30 - 50 % I would go to only this hotel without any doubt in my mind. The food was good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

It is a really nice and clean hotel. I've been there in September 2010. The staff has been really helpful and the interior decoration is really modern. The only thing you could criticizes is the cleanliness in the bathroom, but I have been to a very good hotel in New York last year, with even a star more and the bathroom was the only thing to criticize, too. I think that is a point where I have another point of view. Don't misunderstand me it was not dirty, but you could find for example hairs in the shower (not mine).
I think it was good located and in a short walk (10 minutes) you could reach the White House and in the other direction U-Street (10 minutes?), too. I haven't used any public transport to come around in Washington and walked to every place (Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, etc.) . I booked the Old Trolley Tour for one day to see the National Cathedral, Arlington and Georgetown and one bus trip for the night tour and I could highly recommend these tours and the hotel, too.
I can't say anything about the food you can order there (breakfast, dinner), but the bar looks really futuristic and stylish.
Before I forget I would advise you to take a room to the street. I had a room at the rear and there were garbagecars (?) every early morning. When you have a light sleep it will wake you up. But the staff is really nice and wouldn't mind to give you another room is there is one available. Altogether it is a great hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Verona, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hotel Helix for one week while traveling to DC on business. When I checked in, I was greeted by an exceptionally efficient clerk who promptly checked me in. The lobby and rooms are eclectically decorated, which my group and I found fun and interesting. The room was unusually large for a hotel room in a large city. Our first night there, the concierge recommended a restaurant around the corner, and it lived up to our expectations. Check out was as easy as check in, with staff who were efficient and personable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

If you are visiting DC regardless of the length of stay check out Hotel Helix. This is no cookie-cutter hotel. The rooms have a Parisian feel and the staff really makes an effort to get to know their clientele. Don't miss the wine tasting at 5PM. It’s worth getting back in time to meet others.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!