“Fun, unique property with caring staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #86 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Fun, unique property with caring staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Preparing for a recent getaway weekend, my husband and I stumbled on the Hotel Helix online and were intrigued by the unique decor of this hotel. When we arrived we found it to be a very fun and unique property to be sure - tucked into a great row of brownstones a little away from the hubub of the mall area, but not very far from the sites...the room was great! The daily wine hour and the great value made this hotel a great choice....but what really put it over the top was the friendly, caring and accomodating staff. Would definitely go back and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Hello JAS926,

Thank you for staying with us and I am glad that you and your husband had an enjoyable getaway. I know how important it is to have a relaxing but fun weekend every once and a while. I am glad this time was no exception. Please come back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I love most all Kimpton's, however the Helix, Is really cool. They make you feel very "at home". The front staff are very professional but they also have a way of making all the hotel guest feel like they are at home. I travel for business a lot, away from my family, and enjoyed the staff talking to me as if I was "one of them" and knowing I was safe. I love the welcoming of animals, since I can't bring my dogs, I enjoy seeing other dogs there and getting to pet them.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Hello BettyDFW,

Thanks for being a loyal Kimpton fan. We all appreciate it. I am happy that he Helix no exception for you. I know that the staff will be pleased to hear that you felt like family. Thanks for staying and we hope to see you again soon!
Puerto RIco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

I've stayed at many hotels but this one was the worst service and coordination activities. Upon pulling into The Helix, I realized that this wasn't a standard Hotel. My impression was that it was a club for partying all night. I was not mistaken. The last night was the worst since it ended on the weekend. A sorority party was happening at the lobby all night but what worsen the conditions was that group of students decided to move the party to a room near to mine. I was dealing with the noise until they starting smoking. I complain several times without able to resolve my issue until I requested to get move from my room at 230am. Still the guys were heard all night so I could not sleep at all.

The bad:
– Room service is incredibly limited in both selection and hours of availability (5-10pm only). Not great for business travelers.
- Very bad service and coordination
- Very noisy
The good:
– The beds are comfy but in platform making the mattress firm but not uncomfortable.
– The size of the rooms is generous, and closet/dresser space ample.
- Party
- near the city

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I'd stayed in Kimpton Hotels previously and always found them to be excellent, but I was not prepared for what I found at the Hotel Helix in DC. The decor is totally 60s -- giant hot pink polka dots, animal prints, velour!! How groovey!!! I was in DC on business, and at the end of the day, I had to smile when I entered the hotel. Great champagne happy hour at 5 (much needed for me). And the staff was super! Near Logan Circle area - convenient to nice restaurants & shopping. Very comfy, friendly, clean and fun!!! What a great way to end the day!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Hello BusnTrvlOnly,

Thanks for being loyal to Kimpton. We appreciate you giving us a try here in DC. I am glad that at the end of a busy work day you could come back to the Helix and unwind with a glass of champagne and smile at the fun décor. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I love this hotel! Its usually my first choice for hotels in DC. I have tried almost ALL the Kimpton Hotels in DC (mostly because this hotel was the first I stayed with and I was curious to see what the others were like). And as much as the other hotels were great, this one was my favorite, because of the rooms size and decor...its a very HIP & TRENDY place & I always feel welcomed!

I recently went there for my birthday weekend and was supposed to stay with a friend, until check in, but they bailed on me. :-( When I went to the Helix expecting them to tell me I had to wait for my room, they told me that it was ready and I could check in immediately if I wanted to (and didn't have to wonder the streets of DC for 2 hrs!).

Not only was guy at the front desk great (because he saw how bummed I was still from my LOONG overnight trip & disappointing friend), he also called me to say Happy Birthday and made sure I had everything I needed & that everything was alright (most people don't care after you leave the front desk).

Helix had been GREAT to me on more than one occasion and I always find the place extra welcoming and the beds extra, EXTRA comfy. Love you guys...you've got a customer for life!!!! :-)

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
sevilla99
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Helix last weekend and found it to be fantastic! Much more than what we expected! The check in agent was great - got us off to a happy start and the room was very large for city hotels. The bathroom also was wonderful and a nice huge flatscreen TV.

The best part was the free wine hour where we got to start off our evening with a glass of wine in the lounge - one of the things I love most about the Kimpton hotels! Checkout was easy and they even adjusted the rate for us as it was lower online than what we had booked at.

Highly recommend this hotel!

Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Definitely a boutique hotel. Even reception was weird, although we did arrive on Halloween :). The room was amazing, bright colors, funky furniture (check the Ikea catalog for details). Access to the bed could have been a bit better as we did bang our shins a couple of times trying, it is a tight squeeze between wall and bed. From our room it was possible to hear the noise from the bar but it stopped at a reasonable hour. The funky clothing supplied (at a cost if you decide you want to try) was a bit OTT (over the top) but fun to see.