“Fun & eclectic in a great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #74 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Annapolis, Maryland
“Fun & eclectic in a great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Each time I stay here, I am pleasantly surprised. The staff is fun & helpful, rooms are comfortable & clean, with unique colors and decor.
I always use my Kimpton InTouch membership to "raid the mini bar".
Love the Kimpton Happy Hour!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the netting surrounding the bed for a super unique experience
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mark H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
JackiB0312, Thank you so much for being such a frequent visitor of the Helix. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and to Kimpton as a whole. Raid the minibar is such a wonderful perk, sometimes a little snack is all you need :-). I hope you will come and see us again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Morrisville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in several Kimpton properties in DC and this is my favorite thus far. The decor is very unique (LOVE the surfer pic behind the bed) and the accommodations were well appointed. The location, while far from the office, was right in the heart of the 14th Street restaurant district.

There is a nice lounge with a wonderful patio for having an evening beverage. The only recommendation I would make is a better beer selection.

Will definitely be back.

Stayed June 2014
Mark H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
kbrenneman73, Thank you for the awesome review. The last few years the 14th street area has grown drastically. It is awesome that we are so close to so many great restaurant and social options. We greatly appreciate your kind words and your business. Please return to us again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

First of all I want to recommend to all visitors - always stay in a Kimpton hotel if you search something exclusive, stylish, modern, and different to the mass tourist hotels - nearly all of the others terrible for a higher price! The helix is one if the best in DC ( and I know all Kimptons there). It is located in a not crowded street. All sight seeing areas are in walking distance, for the memorial mall I used the great offer to get a bike for free, like at all Kimptons. The Helix has a nice area for breakfast, as well to sit outside. But the most I did like the rooms- great style and so much space! I already booked it again looking forward to come back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Beate W, Awesome review! You touched on two of my favorite things about our hotel. I love the bike program and I agree that our rooms are very spacious. It can be difficult to find spacious rooms in the DC area but we have them! :-) Thank you so much for your review and choosing to stay with us at The Helix.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Hotel is for the young and the hip. It has got a modern funky style which is pleasing to the eyes. Although, spaces are limited in the driveway and lobby. I guess this is all true to most of the hotels in the area. Parking areas are a bit difficult too when you stay in DC, not to mention expensive so would prefer to walk towards all the landmarks. It is 30 minutes away from the National Mall.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Gullybe, Thank you so much for your review. Our style is definitely one of the funky variety :-). Being only a 25-30 minute walk from the National Mall is a huge plus, especially on a beautiful spring day. Please come and see us again very soon.
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel is well-situated in a nice, living neighbourhood, 20 min. away from the white house and hardly further to the Washington Mall. There's no subway nearby, though. Valet parking is expensive. Its main characteristic is its quirky and fun design. It's very colourful, full of pictures. There were many details that made me laugh, like the zebra bathrobe or Pez in the minibar. While unconventional in style, the hotel is clean, well-maintained, beds are good and service efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Mark H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
gilles_eu, Our zebra robes and pez dispensers may be unconventional but they are so much fun! :-) Thank you so much for choosing us on your recent visit. We hope that you will return to us soon and enjoy the neighborhood again.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

There were several mixed reviews about the hotel, but I found it to be fun, large rooms, helpful staff and in good condition. The hotel is fairly well situated. The rooms were big and the beds comfortable. The bathrooms were tiny, but manageable. The one down side was that they missed the wake up call! The work out room is also fairly small and limited. I should note that the price was competitive ($100 special).

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room away from the elevator.
Green Features: The didn't provide individual soaps, shampoo etc. which is nice, but also not as convenient.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
NYCTravelPal, Thank you for taking time out of your day to complete this review. It is a pleasure to read that you found our staff to be helpful and our rooms to be spacious. Our hotel is such a great value for the area. We greatly appreciate your feedback and your business. Please come and see us again soon.
White Plains, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here for a week on business and had a great experience. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I did have a few issues--remotes for the TVs didn't work at first, minibar lock stiff and very difficult to unlock--but they were resolved right away. On the way back to the hotel one night, I even dropped and lost one of my keys, and the front desk staff issued me a new set, which reset the lock entirely. Safe and secure. The best thing is that during my stay, it was quiet, which is important for me. Had a great stay and will return for another business trip in June! One thing I found that was odd was that there were a few stairs leading from the front desk area to the elevators. It was difficult to maneuver heavy wheeled bags up and down....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
MedBioChem, Safe and quiet are two things that are very important to me as well when booking a hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Please return to us again in the near future. Thank you so much for choosing The Helix - A Kimpton Hotel.

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!