“Great stay at the Helix” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #74 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Great stay at the Helix”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Celebrated our anniversary here. The staff was very helpful in every regard, even placed a bottle of champagne and cupcakes in our room for our arrival to kick off our celebration! Free wine hour is very fun atmosphere with friendly, engaging staff members serving. Neighborhood very convenient, a whole foods, and 24 hr cvs around the corner, TONS of great restaurants in walking distance. A little bit of a hike from the trains, but easy access to buses, cabs, and free bike rentals from Helix itself. A great stay, just what we needed. We'll definitely return next time we're in DC.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike R, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Mike Robinson, AGM: jgoins86, first and foremost - happy anniversary!! Thank you for choosing the Helix for your special stay, you can't go wrong with cupcakes and bubbly ;-) Thank you so much for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have stayed twice at the Helix. Thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The room decor is fun, the bed is great! The complimentary wine tasting is fabulous. Overall a great value and fun place to spend a night in DC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike Robinson, AGM: Tim B, ahhh yes - the free wine. This is one of the best parts of my day as well. Nothing beats serving free wine and mingling with my guests! Thank you for choosing the Helix twice now as your home away from home, you know what they say - 3rd time's the charm ;-)
Bloomfield, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I love when I am invited to DC for a business trip by the Eatonville Restaurant because they ALWAYS place me at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel. That was how I first found this place and I consider myself quite fortunate. This is a funky, cool non-cookie cutter hotel. What "works" best at this place is the staff! Everyone is extremely friendly, warm and helpful. "No" just isn't in their vocabulary. From the time the curtains open at the entrance (really!) and throughout your stay, you are made to feel like family. The front desk staff does a quick and thorough check-in. The bar staff is fun and chatty at the FREE happy hour (love your champagne!). The rooms are lovely and comfortable and quite spacious. I love being a Helix member and getting that "Raid the Mini Bar" Card and the FREE wifi. Whenever I am in DC, on business or for pleasure, this is my go-to hotel. It's in a wonderful location and has become my home base! Thanks for raising the bar, Helix!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mike Robinson, AGM: lucyanne1, I was pleased to read that we once again provided another exceptional stay! We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to the Helix - a Kimpton Hotel, and look forward to providing you with many more exceptional stays in the near future.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I chose this hotel because they are one of the few hotel chains that do not charge extra fees for bringing your pet. The staff was always friendly and welcomed me back whenever I walked in the front door. Every day, there is a free wine happy hour, but if you don't want to hang out in the lounge, you can just grab one and take it up to your room. It was one block from Whole Foods/Starbucks/Bars/Restaurants. And finding parking over the weekend on the street was not that difficult at all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Mike Robinson, AGM: Will_Hadj, your review has me smiling ear to ear right now :-) Complimentary wine hour, pet friendly, and super friendly staff - sounds like we knocked it out the park! I'm super pumped that you enjoyed your stay, come see us again soon.
Harvard, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I went to DC to visit my son and got caught in a snowstorm. The staff was wonderfully accommodating; helping extend my stay and changing plans. My room was very comfortable and I made good use of the small fitness room.

Green Features: the organic coffee was awesome! I appreciated the discounted parking rate for a hybrid.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Mike Robinson, AGM: susiemac61, we're stoked to read that we were able to turn your snowstorm extension into a winter wonderland of a stay. Friendly staff and a comfy room will do it for me too! Thank you for your business.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I went to DC to celebrate our anniversary and had a great experience at the Helix. We loved the complimentary happy hour in the lounge each day - it was a great way to kick off the evening. The bartenders had great restaurant recommendations. We could easily walk to local spots but it was also easy to hail a cab nearby. The room was very spacious and clean. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike R, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Mike Robinson, AGM: travelchikATL, Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us here at the Helix - what better way to celebrate then with a complimentary glass of wine, two or three :-). We look forward to you joining us again, sooner rather than later!
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The Helix is an upbeat hotel with a very pleasant environment. All of the staff were very welcoming. The decor in the common areas is interesting and fun and the decor in the room was very modern, casual, and inviting. Historical photos abound in the hallways and the room was clean and well appointed with interesting touches. Happy Hour and breakfast were outstanding.
I've stayed in fancier hotels, but the Helix had a home like feel. More like a city apartment than a hotel room. I will definitely stay here again when I come to DC.

Room Tip: Higher floors are a good choice.
Green Features: I noticed soap and shampoo dispensers rather than bars of soap and little bottles. Coffee Mugs and glasses rather than paper cups and towel reuse.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mike R, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Mike Robinson, AGM: Richard G, I'd have to agree that the decor is pretty fun and welcoming here at the Helix! We're super pumped to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to experience our exceptional guest service and cleanliness first hand. Thank you so much for choosing Kimpton Hotels, we hope you come back for some more ;-)

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!