“Random charge. Never return forgotten stuff.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #87 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Rockville, Maryland
“Random charge. Never return forgotten stuff.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I were staying in Helix hotel for one night. Overall impression was not bad. The hotel has it's own style. I forgot in the room my phone charger and watches. After numerous attempts to contact hotel staff, I was told that nothing was found in our room. And couple of days later I saw a random $10 charge on my credit card from the Helix hotel. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013
Mike R, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Mike Robinson, AGM: Maryna14, Ouch - that's going to leave a mark! I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist in resolving this matter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed for a get away weekend with friends. Service was excellent on all fronts and the Helix is located close enough to all that action that it takes away the fret of "how will I ever get there?". Great atmosphere and very cool staff add to the ambiance. The honor bar had pop rocks for gosh sake! How can you go wrong with that?

Room Tip: The Suites are very nice. Large and quiet!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Mike R, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Mike Robinson, AGM: KurtJ98, you gotta love pop rocks and excellent service go hand n' hand ;-) Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience, we hope to see you again very soon!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at the Helix over Christmas with my family (kids 13, 10 and 7) with the idea that we would spend our time visiting the Smithsonian museums. We stayed in one of the bunk bed rooms and had plenty of room to get another bed brought in for my 13yr old son.
All of the staff were very friendly and courteous from the moment we arrived until 10 days later when we had to leave. It felt like every interaction with the staff they went out of their way to ensure that we got what we wanted.
The staff made sure that we had places to eat on Christmas day when their kitchen was closed and they had fantastic suggestions about where to eat, visit and shop in the local area and other places in DC.
In room wifi was excellent and came free with signing up for their rewards program. This was a must for everyone's travel devices (ipad, ipod, laptops etc).
The Smithsonian museums were a 20-30min walk away that was a nice way to work off breakfast or to build up an appetite on the way back for dinne.
I strongly recommend this hotel for anyone with a family that want a clean, fun place to stay in DC.

Room Tip: There is currently contruction in a nearby lot that may get noisy when it is not the holdiays. It d...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mike Robinson, AGM: Lloyd C, it means a great deal to us that not only did you choose the Helix as your preferred spot to stay while in DC over the holidays but also that you experienced our exceptional guest service first hand. Thank you so much for your business and we wish you a Happy New Year!
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding and loved the funky vibe of this hotel. While the bathroom was tiny, the bed in the alcove was cool. Great location, too. The free ice water in the lobby and the a la carte breakfast option were unexpected delights.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Mike Robinson, AGM: Christie L, you're right on the money in regards to how you described The Helix swag - Fun/Hip/Funky/Cool. We are stoked to read that you enjoyed your stay, and hope to create another stellar experience for you in the near future.
Oakton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Friendly, excellent staff! The location near the fun and delicious restaurants on 14th street is great. The issue is with cleanliness. It wasn't awful, but not up to what one expects at a Kimpton hotel. Un-vacuumed corridors, a cobweb in the corner of our room, splatters on bathroom door, elevator door button needed a wipe-down. Not a deal-breaker, but not as clean as I would want for a property where we would stay. Also, room layout was not great, only a small convex mirror in the room and insufficient lighting near that mirror. Having said that, if these issues aren't important to you it is a convenient and fun place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mike Robinson, AGM: Jan S, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for your kind words in regards to my staff's exceptional guest service. I apologize for the snafu noted, I can assure you I have brought this matter to my facilities team in order to provide stellar future experiences. Thank you for your business.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I took a vacation here to see all of the museums and stuff that dc has to offer and I don't think I would ever consider staying anywhere else. The staff was so friendly and helpful anytime we had questions and the room was so big and nice and clean. I had no complaints what so ever about my stay. The breakfast was good and when we needed the car brought around it was done rather quickly. There wasn't a whole lot withing walking distance but there were some things to do. You can also rent bicycle to get around or take a walk a couple blocks away and rent a car, which is what we ended up doing after walking all the way to the white house the first day which ended up being much further that we anticipated, about a 45 minute walk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike Robinson, AGM: MrsArreola, we are super pumped to read that you experienced nothing but friendly exceptional guest service while staying with us here at the Helix. Please come see us again soon!
germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This was my second stay at Hotel Helix. I had a great stay. The hotel's location between Logan and Dupont Circles is ideal. My room was on the 10th floor which meant there was virtually no street noise to be heard. The staff is "youngish" and friendly. Check-in took two minutes at the most. The rooms are decorated in a funky, offbeat style. They're very spacious and well maintained. The beds are huge and very comfortable. If you're a club member you are given a free continental breakfast which consists of bagels, pastries, croissants, cereals, coffee and juice. Enough to get you started for the day. After a long day of sightseeing there is a complimentary wine happy hour to help you unwind before getting ready for dinner or a night out on the town. There are other hotels from Kimpton in DC and if they are as well managed and maintained as the Hotel Helix I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as well as the Helix.

Room Tip: High floors give a good view of downtown DC
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Mike R, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Mike Robinson, AGM: cologneami, first off - thank you for choosing the Helix for the 2nd time as your home away from home here in DC. We hope you come back for a 3rd :-) I would also like to thank you for your kind words and feedback...friendly, spacious, well-maintained, and quiet are all words that we take pride in materializing to create a stellar stay for our guests - so I'm pumped to read that you were able to experience this first hand. Thank you so much for your business, please come see us again soon!