“Good service horrible setting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #61 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
“Good service horrible setting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We traveled to DC for a mix of business and pleasure... Figured that this hotel would be a neat twist to the weekend and it would be as cool as pictured boy we were wrong. The view from the hotel room overlooked a bunch of garbage roll offs and an alley way where a homeless man set up shop... The rooms were small not really too well kept.. The bathroom had a faucet that would spurt water all over you every time you turned it on... Wifi was not free unless you signed up on their website and became a club member and if you refused they would charge your room extra... Speaking of extra fees .. Parking is 42$ for the night.... They charge you an extra 100 dollars per night if you put the room on a debit / credit card as a damage hold that they don't tell you about when checking in... Mini bar was stocked with some cool things but make sure you check the charge list before you open or eat anything. On the other side of the spectrum the service was very helpful with the early check out... If I need a hotel I will not stay there again and I hope you all take this under consideration as well.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Helix_GM, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Mike Robinson, Assistant General Manager: Jim D, OUCH - that's gonna leave a mark! I sincerely apologize for your less than stellar stay here at the Helix. "Nickel and diming" is certainly not how we operate here at the Helix or any other Kimpton for that matter so I sincerely apologize that you felt that way. Thank you for your feedback and business to Kimpton Hotels.

1,235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I read some of the other tripadvisor reviews of this hotel and had to double check I had been at the same place. Unfortunately, I had. My experience was very different from other travellers.
You are greeted at the main entrance not by automatic doors, but automatic curtains, in purple velvet that swish back to allow you in. It's very camp and very funny. But it is also a warning of what lies beyond. The whole place is like a student union building, where someone let the dramatic group fit out the rooms. The reception staff are charming and efficient. The lobby small and plain. It all starts to fall apart in the rooms. Sure, there is a funky edge to the design, but it is all cheap and tired. The bathroom is fitted with wood surfaces where paint has bubbled and split. The drapes are worn and dusty. The whole place felt grubby. There was also considerable noise from adjoining rooms.
The only public space, bar-come restaurant, (for breakfast) is lined in white linoleum; about as welcoming as an operating theatre and the bar staff not much better. We asked for any snacks they might be able to rustle up on our late arrival. The staff looked at us like we were crazy. They were positively rude.
I was staying with several colleagues on a few days business in DC. We spent one night there reluctantly, (having arrived late), checked the breakfast in the morning (a lack-lustre buffet), and checked out as soon as we could.
If you want a loud couple of nights in a student-like atmosphere with a grungey bar, this is for you. If you want better sleep and a cleaner more practical environment, look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mike Robinson, Assistant General Manager: FilmTraveller, thank you for taking the time to share you feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Helix. I apologize that the Helix was not what you thought it would be. Thank you for your business.
Edmonds, Washignton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Once again Helix does not disappoint. One of my favorite places to stay in spring/summer.Tree-lined streets are very nice. Neighborhood has grown (regentrified) a lot in last few years, and there are now many more restaurant options.

Staff and room were excellent as usual. Much preferred over Kimpton's Rouge, just a few blocks away.

Happened to mention I would be visiting Boston soon, and would be looking at Kimpton hotels, and the staffer offered to help with advice and reservations.

Cons are it's not real convenient to metro, and getting a cab is sometimes challenging. But BikeShare station is half block away.

Room Tip: Tip for getting cab if none at hotel - go to the street with the "outbound" traffic. Those...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Helix_GM, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Mike Robinson, Assistant General Manager: Larry E, thank you for the shout out in regards to our exceptional staff - which we are very proud and lucky to have. Thank you for your business and loyalty to Kimpton hotels, we hope to see you again soon.
Metter, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Recently we had the pleasure of spending two nights at the Hotel Helix. Our Son was to graduate from George Washington University over the weekend and my wife, a favorite Aunt, and myself drove up from Georgia for the commencement exercises.
Our Son had flown in to D.C. earlier and was staying with friends, so he did not stay in the Helix with us although many of his classmates, and their parents did .

My wife, Aunt, and myself are all senior citizens (I'm 70), and were very apprehensive about driving to, and staying in Washington D.C.

From the moment our newly purchased Garmin directed us to the entrance of the Helix Hotel without missing a beat on Friday afternoon and we checked in, until our departure mid-day Sunday we were overwhelmed with the professionalism and courtesy show to us by the entire staff.

The valet parking was painless, and the gentleman who took our luggage up to our room was pleasant and helpful.

The room was clean and everything was in order.

A roll-away bed was provided for the 3rd (a late addition to our little trip) member of our party.

We were concerned about the normal checkout time and how we would manage to be at the commencement ceremony on the Mall and if we had to check out before the graduation ceremony would be be able to find parking at the Mall.

The customer service staff kindly offered to allow is a "late checkout", and we could leave our car in the hotel parking area until we were finished with the graduation ceremony and leave our luggage in the room, or they would keep it in a secure area for us until we actually checked out.

I would recommend a visit to the Helix Hotel without reservation to anyone who wishes to visit Washington D.C. and stay in the downtown area.

Friendly staff, professional and courteous. Nice rooms, fair prices.

The excellent accommodations provided by the folks at the Helix Hotel all made for an excellent stay in downtown Washington D.C.

On our next visit to Washington, D.C. we will certainly stay at the Helix Hotel again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mike Robinson, Assistant General Manager: Jesse P, sounds like we knocked it out the park! Thank you so much for choosing the Helix and for taking the time to share you experience. We are all looking forward to your return!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful. It's stylish, modern, affordable and located just ten minutes north of the White House. Unfortunately the attention to detail did not flow over from style into cleanliness and maintenance.

Upon checking in we decided to set up a wake up call for the next morning and plan our day. The phone in our room (two phones actually) did not work. We had to call the front desk from our cell phone. They informed us they would try to have the phone issue rectified by the next day. At 7:30am we were woken by a banging on our door and someone yelling that it was our "wake up call". I give them an A for effort but it was pretty unusual.

When I went to take a shower I was appalled by the amount of mold on the shower tiles. The entire bathroom was run down and dirty. There were holes in the wall, stains on the wallpaper and an inch of dirt and hair between the sink and wall. I was so disgusted that I complained to the front desk person about the phone and the bathroom on my way out. I wasn't sure if they would take me seriously so I snapped a photo and showed it to the concierge. His face couldn't hide his disgust. He ran my phone over to the head of housekeeping who shook his head and seems genuinely ashamed.

While we were out someone came in and installed working phones and also cleaned the shower tiles but nothing else. We were only staying for two nights so we dealt with the other problems. It made me feel pretty uneasy about the general cleanliness of the room and what may be lurking on the carpet and etc.

The lounge is nice, plays good music and has a patio. They also offer complimentary wine and champagne between certain hours but the service is very slow. The drinks are on the expensive side for their size and some of the furnishings are a little 2001 (the LED lights that change colors over the white leather couch).

I think the Helix could be great if it tended to some of these issues and put the emphasis on clean rather than cool. I would probably not return or recommend this hotel based on my experiences.

• Stayed May 2013
Mike Robinson, Assistant General Manager: BigAlChicago, thank you for choosing the Helix during your recent trip to DC - as well as taking the time to share your experience. Upon reading your review, I was very embarrassed to hear you had a less than stellar stay. I can assure you this is not how we typically operate at the Helix or any Kimpton for the matter, and have addressed your comments to the appropriate departments. I was however pleased to read that you enjoyed the funky decor, and hope you give us another chance to turn your experience around. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly next time business or pleasure brings you to DC, and it will be my pleasure to ensure you have a flawless stay.
Klaipeda, Klaipedos Apskritis, Lithuania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel need a renovation, the breakfast was terrible, because is using old oil for food especially for French toast, location is quite normal, but too far for metro station. All hotel need a renovation, the staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Helix_GM, Assistant General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Mike Robinson, Assistant General Manager: Monika P, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hotel Helix. I sincerely apologize that you had a less than stellar stay, but I am proud to announce that we are planning an upcoming renovation in the near future. However, I was super pleased to read that you were able to experience our exceptionally friendly staff - this is what we strive for 24/7. Thank you so much for your business, and we hope you check out our renovated property in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I originally had booked another Kimpton Hotel, but after signing up for their loyalty programme came across a great offer for Helix, so cancelled and rebooked. However, at the time of booking I remember remarking that it included breakfast (thats why I was so pleased with the offer, as it was like for like), but at the hotel we were told that breakfast was not included, which was a little disappointing. To be fair the person at the front desk said if we could provide evidence he would honour it, but I didn't think I would need to print the t&c of the rate, and it was no longer available on line.
The room was big enough, and definitely quirky, and the goldfish was a great touch (although it did seem he should have more water). The raid the mini bar and free internet (for loyalty members) was fantastic too!
The whole hotel also seemed to be a bit warm, and it was hard to get the room cool enough even with the air conditioning on, when it was so hot and humid it would have been great to come back to cool building. The lifts also seemed to be out of action one of the mornings, so we had to walk down 9 floors!

Overall the Helix was good for the rate I paid ($133 a night inc tax), and I would consider staying at another Kimpton if the price was right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike Robinson, Assistant General Manager: johannalf88, I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay here at the Helix. Thank you so much for your business, we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!