“Funky Stay in DC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #67 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Funky Stay in DC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This boutique hotel is not usual by any means. In fact, it breaks the mold on all counts. It is situated on a mixed use mostly apartment building-residential street. A curtain opens when you walk in to simulate a rock star's dressing room. Lighting down a narrow hall is severe again enhancing the rock star theme. Room offers a mixture of sixties decor with mod upholstering, Lots of brightly colored plastic appointments. View from the seventh floor reveals a patchwork of building types and cranes. Complimentary wine tasting evenings, continental breakfast is charged in 15 minute intervals. Valet parking is expensive however rewards hybrid vehicle drivers with half off. Within walking distance of National Geographic Museum and some neighborhood breakfast joints. Staff is top notch, polite and helpful. Business center allows free boarding pass printing but requires stiff fee for internet use otherwise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you so much for the top notch review. I am glad that you are such of a fan of the Helix and our funky decor. I will make sure to get your positive comments to all our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Click Here to Check Out Some of the Staff Favorite Local Spots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for 3 night at the Helix. While the hotel has some quirky decor they function just like any 4 star hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was extremely spacious and the bed very comfortable. A gym facility was available however with only limited equipment. There was a bar downstairs although I'm not entirely sure if they also served breakfast there as we did not include that in our stay. Wireless internet was also included. The location was very handy and if you are keen most of the major sites are in walking distance or taxis were readily available. There was also many choices for coffee shops and supermarkets just around the corner. I would have no problem recommending this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the awesome review. I am glad that you thought our hotel was great in every aspect. I am sorry you found the gym lacking but I am glad you enjoyed your room. And yes we do serve breakfast in our lounge and we have some great deals that include breakfast on our website. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great friendly staff and unique fun decor make the Helix a great place to stay. Price was reasonable and the Helix is within walking distance to the White House and historical monuments, Dupont Circle... with so many restaurants and activities within a few blocks. Helix has a great wine hour, a fully stocked candy-mini bar, leopard print robes. Staff is helpful with info, taxis, and anything you need to make your stay great! Bed was super cofortable and the room was very very clean too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am glad that you thought our hotel was unique and wonderful. I will make sure to pass your feedback to my staff on helpful they were. I am very pleased you got to enjoy the area and sites while you were here. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Londonderry, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Ran away for the weekend with my hubby and met some family in DC. Booked this hotel through Hotwire so I didn't know the name until after the booking but it all worked out very well. The location was terrific - near Logan Circle and good neighborhood restaurants and within walking distance from the National Mall etc (if you don't mind a good walk!). The room (5th floor) was a good size - comfortable bed, nice area to sit, good size desk, and very clean. The bathroom, while not large, was more than adequate with plenty of towels and a leopard-print terry robe! The complimentary happy hour (wine or Sake) was lovely and the vibe was fun. Our only negative was that we ordered dessert and coffee through room service in the evening. The room service menu was located in the information book in our room and the price of the coffee was not listed in that book. It was on the breakfast room service card but we weren't ordering off of that and so did not look at it. What came to our room was the dessert and two mugs of cold black coffee without cream. When we looked at the bill - each mug of coffee was $8!!!!!! We complained at the desk in the morning and they indicated we should have each received a liter pot of coffee and since we didn't they would adjust the bill. Sadly, they only removed the price of one of the coffees. I thought that they should have removed both as an act of good will - but, oh well. Otherwise, the stay was delightful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the awesome review. I am glad that you thought our hotel had a fun vibe.I am really sorry to hear about the coffee incident you should never have to pay for cold coffee. Please reach out to me directly so I can take care of that for you. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for dining and grabbing a drink, plus you can walk to K street, Treasury, White House, etc for business or tourism. The only problem with this hotel is how hard it is to get a cab in the morning. Two of the three time I have stayed I have had to walk a block down to get my own cab because none go by. However, I keep coming back because of the fun decor and great amenities, especially the free wifi, raid the mini bar credits and most of all the hosted happy hour, when I can get back from meetings in time to enjoy it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Mary B,

Thank you so much for such an outstanding review of your stay at the Helix. Looks like you had a fantastic time on all levels and I am really happy we could provide you with that.

I am so glad your a such a fan of the Helix Hotel and our amenities. We hope you will come and see us again very soon.

Thank you again for such an outstanding review!

Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed at the Helix this weekend for a girls getaway and it had it's ups and downs. First the pros: Kitchy and fun. The decor was really cool and the vibe was just right. It was hip and young without trying too hard. The staff were jewels. Jay was efficient and professional, but funny as heck. He made our checking in and out a breeze. The room was just spacious enough even though it looked really small at first glance...if THAT makes any sense. We had a view of the courtyard which was really nice. The beds were comfy and the pillows were just as I requested. They gave us 10bux to raid the mini bar, which wasn't much, but it was a really nice gesture. The hotel is in walking distance of EVERYTHING... coffee shops,bars, restaurants, shopping, so that was a big plus.

Now to the cons...While it was a nice hotel, it was seriously dated and worn. The curtains in the room were a little threadbare and the room had a musty smell when we walked in. We turned on the air and that was rectified, but it did linger for awhile. The bathroom was THE SMALLEST bathroom EVER, but I was prepared for that based on the other reviews. Parking was a tad pricey, but in the scheme of things, it beat trying to park on the street.

All in all, I would say that it is an okay hotel, but it could be better if they just tidy up a bit. Next time I will stay at another one of the Kimpton's in the city to see how they compare. That's my take...Hi-de-HO!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Des S,

Thank you so much for your review of your stay at the Helix. I am sorry you had such an up and down stay we will make sure to work on our consistancy. We hope you will come and see us again very soon.

Thank you again for your review!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Given the choice, I will always go for the nearby Donovan House, but when the price differential is substantial, I would opt for the Helix. Especially during the time of year having a pool isnt an issue.

Great location; helpful/friendly staff and good rooms. An easy walk from the Dupont Circle metro or DCtoNY bus drop off. Steps from beautiful Logan Circle, 14th Street shopping - and not too far from U Street or Georgetown.

The lobby isn't typical (dark, sexy) Kimpton to me, but I'm not big on hanging out in the lobby. The weather was warm enough to enjoy the 5-6pm wine hour in the outdoor lounge area. Although I stuck with the OK sparkling wine, there was also a Sake' offering due to the Cherry Blossom Festival currently occurring in DC. Kimptons tend to celebrate the local, and the Helix is no exception. There is even a great info-sign to read when waiting for the elevator, showcasing the staffs' neighborhood picks for food, drinks, shopping and entertainment.

I thought the sprinkler on the ceiling was slightly humming when I dropped my bags off at 4pm, but it wasnt until I returned to my room long enough to sit down after 9pm that I discovered the entire room was vibrating and humming. After a couple of calls to the front desk, my theory that my top floor room was directly under some sort of fan or HVAC mechanism was confirmed and I was moved to another room. Avoid room 1015 unless you like sleeping to a humming vibration.

Once I moved, I was happy with the room. Excellent sheets, cushy duvet and a great down pillow. The TV stand swivels so that it can face the bed or the couch. A large desk I never used except for storage. Multiple charging outlets with USB and iPad connections. Large, easy to use safe, as usual. I guess the other posters who complained about the small bathrooms don't live in NYC or visit Europe often. As a Kimpton InTouch member, my Wifi and the beer I was suddenly craving Saturday night were free.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1015 or any around it unless you like humming noise/vibration. 416 was good and on a quie...