“Holy Helix” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #66 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Holy Helix”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This most recent trip was my third time staying at this property...Or maybe 4th. Either way, it's pretty much my go to hotel when I go to Washington DC. I could stay at other properties across the district but for some reason this one keeps bringing me back. Maybe it's familiarity , maybe it's the location or maybe it's the kindness of the staff or all of the above.
So here goes the review like it or not.
For starters, I really like the location. The location is great and it helps that it is close to my favorite bar in DC along with some other really good restaurants along 14th st. Because I come to DC for business, it's essential that I have these things close to my hotel-bars, restaurant, coffee, and a market (in this case Whole Foods). I like walking, what can I say.
I was fortunate enough to get a suite which made a world of difference for me. Again being there for business, I like to feel like I have a nice bed to retreat to after the day is over. I've stayed in their regular rooms as well, and they were fine too. I don't always luck out and get a suite but someone was watching over me on this one.
The front desk staff are great and actually fun to chat with. They are professional and always willing to help out. I like the vibe of the place mostly because it's a bit eclectic and not the standard hotel drabness at times. Free wine in the late afternoon is a treat and for those who have dogs, they are very pet friendly which as a pet owner, I like. I like seeing the companions walking around the place.
Now for the not so good. I don't like to say bad because bad is like rude people, high priced rooms that are the size of a bathroom, etc.
I think the faults I have with this place have been spoken to before or the staff is already fully aware. The biggest being the parking situation. That turn in and and turnaround is terrible.It's a big U shape and if you are behind someone, you can't get around them. You have to wait, and wait. It's poor design and frustrating. The butt of your car can easily spill out onto Rhode Island if there are cars in front of you. I wish there was a way to make this better but sadly it won't change. The valets are going as fast as they can but still I think they need some sort of better system to get more cars moving around.
The other is the breakfast service. It's a little confusing. Do you sit and get a menu or do you stand by the bar and wait for the guy to hand you a menu? Do you take that menu to the table or do you just stand there and let him take your order? It's not brain surgery but I think there needs to be a more coherent less confusing system. If the guy who took my order by the bar isn't there, how would I even know what to do. Not the end of the world but another kink that should be worked out.

Overall, I would stay here again when in DC. Like I said, it's hard for me to switch to another property. Sure it has it's flaws but if they were reviewing me, they would probably point out mine as well. That's just the way it goes.
Until we meet again Hotel Helix...Or is it Helix Hotel? I get confused.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will make sure to pass your comments to the whole management staff to ensure we address the issues you brought up. I am so glad you stay with us every time you visit DC. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Click Here to Check Out Some of the Staff Favorite Local Spots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm a Kimpton hotel regular because I appreciate that they keep their prices low and enjoy visiting DC, Boston and Philadelphia on a regular basis. I'm loyal to Kimpton as long as they keep this level of service up and keep their prices in check.

With that said - this was my second time staying at the Helix and it was even better than my first time. I found it better than the Donovan House and a better value too. Staff was friendly and the hotel even took into consideration the special requests I made when I booked the room. Both requests were not things that the hotel had to fulfill but they did and we really appreciated it. I won't go into details but trust me when I say that they go above and beyond with a smile.

I usually get room service when I'm at Kimpton hotels and Helix food and service is excellent. We had breakfast and dinner while we stayed at the hotel and all of our meals were delicious. Of course room service is never worth the high price tag but we were satisfied and it was restaurant quality food.

Room was clean, spacious and decorated nicely. View left a lot to be desired but it's fine...the hotel can't help that. I'll say it again: great value, amazing location and we plan to stay at the Helix next time we are in DC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the awesome review. I am glad that you are such of a fan of Kimpton and the Helix. I will make sure to get your positive to all our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

As a D.C. native traveling back home throughout the year, I'm constantly searching for accommodations during my visits. A good friend told me about the Helix Hotel off Rhode Island & 14th St. This was several years ago and I stay there everytime I can. During my stay this past weekend, there were multiple issues circulating, however when I arrived at Helix, Ms.Tam Tam:) (front-desk) greeted me with hospitality, kindness and professionalism. The experience was appreciated and welcomed as usual. This is one of the best kept secrets for seasoned travelers to our beloved D.C., and should be highly recommended to all.

Keep up the good work Helix, you represent our City well!

Will G.

Room Tip: High floors provide the best views of the D.C. skyline!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the exceptional review. I am glad that you choose the Helix to stay on your trip back to DC. I am so glad Tam took such great care of you and thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Bowie, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We are in-touch members. We have stayed at several Kimpton Hotels including The Palomar, Rouge and The Donavan House, we have we have upcoming reservations at Monaco as well. My children were very excited about staying at the Helix in the Bunk-Bed Suite.
When we arrived we were informed the room was not ready because of engineering issues. This should never be told to a guest. Maybe just state the room is not ready,
certain information should remain in house. While waiting for our room in the restaurant, which was not open yet we found a dirty napkin on the floor and another napkin balancing a dinning table.
When our room was finally ready there were 4 dirty wine glasses and 2 plates with ketchup to welcome us to our room. I saw 2 staff member walk by and didn't pick the items up. When we entered the room we had a great view of the parking lot, but that's no big deal because yes we are in the city. The decor was awful and NOTHING like the website. We reserved the Bunk-Bed Suite. The bunk-beds was decorated with blue institutional covers with no decorative pillow or anything, very disappointing. On the king bed just white sheets and blankets, not decorative pillows, fur throw or anything that is displayed on your website again. The little touches mean a lot and can make a hotel stand out. There was 1 hola-hoop in the room and no games.
My husband went back to the lobby to discuss this with the person on duty and walked pass the same dirty glasses and plates.
The manager on duty pulled up the web-site to review the pics (I am sure he knew what the web-site looks like) anyway he apologized and said he would send some games up. My husband also told him about the dirty dishes outside of our door.
We left the hotel to explore the city and the manager stopped us and apologized and explained that the hotel did not carry decorative pillows, throws or anything of that nature anymore. If this is the case may I suggest you change the web-site, so as not to mislead future guest. He said he would send up extra games and offered us dinner on the hotel,which was a nice gesture.
Upon our return he once again reminded us of the free dinner. However when we went back to our room to find the glasses and dirty plates were still outside our door. My husband called downstairs and asked for additional towels, there were only 2 sets of towels and the reservation was for 4. When the staff member brought the towels my husband just asked him to remove the dishes, which he did.
We noticed a few games in the room, checkers, chess an a unopened game of connect four. My son was looking around and looked under the bed and found a large spider-man toy under the bed! Not sure how long it had been under the bed. That is pretty poor housekeeping. I went to the bathroom to put the towels away and noticed 3 hairs in the bathtub......enough said.
We reluctantly went to dinner and my son simply turned the toy into the manager. Anyway the dinner was actually very nice and the young lady working in the restaurant was very pleasant and helpful. The manager checked on us while eating dinner.
All and all our stay did not meet our expectations and did not live up to the Kimpton name. I just wanted to share our experience with you and hopefully you can make changes so in the future other guest will not have the issues we had.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
tallahassee, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

if you want a great location, (Logan Circle), and superior service, you must try the Helix. I scored a room for $84 a night on Hotwire. The bed was,an oasis of down alternative comfort and a semi-circle modern curtain rod on the ceiling held blue netting which was very soothing. The backdrop had a surfer scene, which, truly makes me question just how hipster I am, but laptop plugs and cylindrical paper white Japanese lanterns fit the bill. Room service breakfast was a flat $12. I got a $10 stipend for the mini-bar which was full of interesting if not kitschy stuff. I left with some erotic mints and treated my guest to a Corona. Yes, the Helix makes a statement that is fun, very 70's lights, camera, action. The staff was attentive and it was different enough to make a stressful D.C. trip much nicer.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the awesome review. I love the title of the review I think we can use it to describe our hotel going forward. Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When looking for a hotel in NW Washington DC right near my meeting place near the Convention Center, I was discouraged by the high prices for one night! I then decided to look a bit farther north and discovered the lovely Helix Hotel, a Kimpton property, with a reasonable price ($100-$200 less than other hotels). The hotel was great - near 14th St NW and P street, I was greeted with a friendly staff, complementary glass of wine during the happy hour, a funky retro 1970's color room with all the modern features of the 21st century, and free internet service in my room. I even had breakfast at their lobby-level cafe for $2.50 and free coffee! For dinner I ventured up 14th Street on foot and found a lot of ethnic restraunts near the U-street corridor that I'd never would have known about had I stayed naer the convention center. Another great reason to stay at the Helix was the 30-40 minute walk to and from my meeting place! Great staff, great service, can't go wrong with a Kimpton Hotel. Helix is a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the great review. I am glad that you are such of a fan of Kimpton and the Helix. I will make sure to share your positive comments to all our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I picked the hotel for the price during our stay for the USA marathon weekend. It's a great place! Funky decor, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, great staff.... The complimentary breakfast was lacking a bit, just mostly breads and muffins... No eggs or pancakes or sausages but that was ok. Location was great!! Can walk to so many places...

One problem for me were two consistent sounds that never stopped.... One was like an idling truck outside, but that was very low hum. The other was a high pitch sound from closer inside the room. I believed it was coming from a room behind a locked door right next to the bed. The first night it kept me up from 2-4 in the morning (I'm a light sleeper). When I mentioned it to the front desk, they were very accommodating and moved us to another room. This one also had the locked door next to the bed but it was quieter, definitely.. further away from the noises. Could still hear the hum and the high pitch sound but at least they were subtle compared to before.. I guess the high pitch sound was not coming from the mysterious locked room inside the room..

The only other problem for me is the high price for valet... For that price I'd expect a car wash to come with it ;-).

Otherwise I would definitely stay here again... Its convenient and comfortable for the price... I will bring my dogs next time!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. I am so sorry to hear about noise issues and high parking prices. I will make sure to share your comments with all our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon and please bring your dog.

Click Here to Check Out Some of the Staff Favorite Local Spots

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!