“Great place great location pet friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #66 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great place great location pet friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I picked the hotel for the price during our stay for the USA marathon weekend. It's a great place! Funky decor, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, great staff.... The complimentary breakfast was lacking a bit, just mostly breads and muffins... No eggs or pancakes or sausages but that was ok. Location was great!! Can walk to so many places...

One problem for me were two consistent sounds that never stopped.... One was like an idling truck outside, but that was very low hum. The other was a high pitch sound from closer inside the room. I believed it was coming from a room behind a locked door right next to the bed. The first night it kept me up from 2-4 in the morning (I'm a light sleeper). When I mentioned it to the front desk, they were very accommodating and moved us to another room. This one also had the locked door next to the bed but it was quieter, definitely.. further away from the noises. Could still hear the hum and the high pitch sound but at least they were subtle compared to before.. I guess the high pitch sound was not coming from the mysterious locked room inside the room..

The only other problem for me is the high price for valet... For that price I'd expect a car wash to come with it ;-).

Otherwise I would definitely stay here again... Its convenient and comfortable for the price... I will bring my dogs next time!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. I am so sorry to hear about noise issues and high parking prices. I will make sure to share your comments with all our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon and please bring your dog.

Hussein Heshmat
Assistant Front Office Manager
Hotel Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
Direct: 202-521-2725
Fax: 202-521-2714
Click Here to Like Us on Facebook!
Click Here to Check Out Some of the Staff Favorite Local Spots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had a business trip in DC and got this hotel. Innovative room with netting for the bed, pictures of Barbie and ken on the walls, art deco retro couch. Felt i was in an Andy Warhol room. For 20 somethings, it may be fun and unique. For a businessman it was fine but strange. Very expnsive parking charges (I took the Metro). few amenities but great for a story back home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked the Hotel Helix last minute (8 PM when checking in around 10:30 PM) because me and my boyfriend decided to head to DC a night earlier then originally planned. I dropped the reservation email on the booking an email to give them a heads up of my upgraded status and that I would be a late arrival. Within the hour I had a call from the Hotel apologizing they didn't know I was arriving today (of course they didn't) and asking what amenities they could get for me in my room since they couldn't see my Inner Circle preferences. I settled on champagne and cupcakes which were perfect when we arrived. We were also upgraded to a King Studio Suite and was apologized there were no more Helix Suites available. Overall I was pretty impressed by this.

The room was nice, much larger then I expected. The kitchenette was a nice touch especially if you would have been staying longer then just the 14 hour turn around we had. The furniture was a little worn down but nothing too egregious. The bathroom was very small considering the overall size of the room but it was workable.

I'd say this hotel is a good budget option for the Kimpton brand. It is close to restaurants and nightlife that are opened on the weekends (which is a plus when traveling to DC). It isn't up to the same level as say a Monaco or Helix but it still does give you a lot of the comforts of a Kimpton Hotel and their rewards members are rewarded. Be sure to sign up for their loyalty program the free wifi and raid the mini- bar are worth it even at the basic level.

All and all it was a great 14 hours at Hotel Helix. We parked off site on a garage on M between 16th and 17th that was only $22 a night and not too far of a walk which helped with the budget.

Room Tip: Studio Rooms offer more space and a small kitchenette.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Kimpton Hotels are one of my favorite hotel chains. This hotel is definitely on Kimpton's lower end but it's still a good value option if you're looking to stay in DC in a central location. The hotel is right in Logan Circle within walking distance of good restaurants and shops and they are pet friendly. It has a trendy/boutique feel. If felt to me like a lower end W Hotel.

The service was a bit lack luster. Definitely not up to the standards that I've become accustomed to at other Kimptons. The lobby is hectic and small and the valets are very slow. Just as an FYI, overnight valet parking is $39 per night. The hotel only has two very small elevators, one of which was out of service on the night of my stay, so getting to and from the room was not very convenient.

The King Deluxe room was bigger than I expected. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and minimally furnished. The bathroom was very small and not conducive to getting ready. They do have several other mirrors in the room to allow you space to get ready outside the bathroom. They didn't provide any lotion which is something that I usually expect to find in a hotel bathroom.

The hotel seems to attract a young crowd and on a Saturday night it was a bit loud. I woke up a few times during the night due to loud groups heading back to their rooms between 1am and 3am.

Overall, this is a decent option if you're looking for a fun boutque hotel in a central location. However, just be aware that this is one of Kimpton's 3 star properties so it's not as nice as several of their other hotels in the DC/Virginia area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I like to go away for the weekend every year on our birthdays. This year we picked Washington and Hotwire picked the Helix hotel for us. We were really happy with our stay here. The staff was very friendly. Check in was a breeze and since they didn't have the room we wanted, they upgraded us to a room that had a king for us and bunkbeds for our daughter (she is still talking about how much she loved her space). The interior was clean with fun and colorful decor. Walking distance to lots of shops, bars, restaurants. We would definitely stay here again. Only minor drawback was the $40 to park but it's a big city, what are you going to do?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for the Awesome review and I am so glad your daughter got to enjoy our BUNK beds. I am so happy to hear you loved the service. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the entire team. We hope to see again soon the next time you visit Washington D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was my first trip to Washington DC. I wanted to stay some place that was on the smaller side, but close to all the sites and such. Really glad that I booked the Helix, while the room was quite large, the bathroom & shower were TINY. Very clean & comfortable, ordered breakfast one morning & it was great! Happy hour at the hotel was also a great deal - althought there's a great spot called Churchkey one block away. I would definitely stay here again - great service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Helix_GM, General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
RotterMe,
Thank you for the GREAT review and thank you for choosing the Helix for your first trip to DC. Yes, the Helix is very well located to see all the sites DC has to offer and I hope you were able to hit them all. I am so happy to hear you loved the service. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the entire team. You are right about Churchkey as well. It is definitely one of our highly recommended local happy hour spots. They have an incredible beer selection!!
Thanks again,
James Adamson
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is a great hotel in just the right location, with a wonderful vibe. Also, a really good value! It's an easy walk to the White House and the Mall, and alternatively, the Dupont Circle area. We have stayed here numerous times, and each time we find new restaurants, bars, and things to do close by. The staff is extremely accomodating and really aims to please. The rooms are much larger than the norm and always spotless and comfortable. The complimentary wine hour each evening is just the cure for a day of business or visiting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Andy618,
Thank you for the WONDERFUL review of the Helix from your recent visit. Please know that I will pass along your thanks as well as mine to the entire team for knocking it out of the park. We can’t wait to have you back with us again soon.
James Adamson

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!