“Birthday Wishes Do Come True” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #67 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Birthday Wishes Do Come True”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

It was one of those birthday getaways that my wife and I wanted to take to celebrate. When we arrived we were greeted by the staff, they took the time to get to know us. Even though we are from the city they still made some great recommendations for activities we should do while staying at the hotel. As we arrived to our suite we decided we would rest awhile. I hear a knock on the door I forgot what the guys name was but he bought up a bottle of champagne and 2 Red Velvet cupcakes, and he also let us know that he would be assisting us with all of our needs for our stay. We checked out the room which was immaculate compared to other hotels I stayed. The mini bar was stocked with any and all organic needs you may have. I plan on staying here again in 2 weeks but this time I'm getting the bunk bed suite for my family, and we are going to do a little site seeing rediscovering our city. Overall you all have won yourselves a loyal customer/client and I don't think I will be staying at any other hotel unless its The Helix or a Kimpton Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I think most travelers, such as myself, really appreciate a great hotel room, as this is ultimately what you're paying for. The Helix in DC is in a wonderful location, a funky lobby with a curtain that opens up when you enter the building as well as colored lighting in the hallways (pink, light blue, purple). The service was good too. This is the first Kimpton Hotel I have stayed at (I got a last minute special), and I def. find the chain to be a class act and plan to stay with them regularly; however, I doubt I'll be back to this one. We had a double delux room that was quite decent in size, and the beds were comfortable. The minibar and snack section had cute and whimsical items, which was nice. The bathroom was incredibly small but efficient. There is just something about the hallways, lobby and to some extent the rooms that made we wish they had just stepped it up a little bit more... This is not a place to stay if you appreciate quality over show, or enjoy luxurious accommodations. Plus, the entire place has this very odd green hue to it that was bizarre.

At a great rate, this is a fine place to stay (great location, stylish, comfortable rooms), but I would never pay more than $130 a night TOPS to stay here. That would be overpriced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Helix_GM, General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
mlc2005,
I really appreciate the honest feedback of your recent visit, and I thank you for recognizing the team on their awesome service. I am happy to hear we were able to help make you a Kimpton fan. It is definitely a hotel company in the class of its own, but i maybe a little bias. I am also happy you felt we were of good value. Sorry about all the 'green'... I have been here over 4 years, and just don’t see that color at all anymore. Kidding aside, it is colorful and not for everyone, but most of our first time guests just love the uniqueness of this hotel.
Thanks again for the review!
James Adamson
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip and really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I love the dog-friendly atmosphere. Coming home and seeing dogs each evening made me feel more at home. The evening wine hour is a nice treat. The room was clean, although some of the decor was showing its age. The room set-up was very comfortable and made it feel spacious. The decor is on the funky quirky side, but very fun. The bed was super comfortable and breakfast in the hotel lounge each morning was consistently good. There is also free coffee service available each morning. I recommend becoming a Kimpton In-Touch member for the extra perks. The location is wonderful with a Whole Foods just a block away and good restaurants. It's a 15 minute walk to Dupont Circle for even more shopping an dining options.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for the great review of the Helix from your recent visit. I am so glad you enjoyed the coffee in the morning and being a Kimpton intouch member. I agree the Logan Circle and Dupont Circle area have a lot of great dinning and shopping options. Please know that I will pass along your thanks as well as mine to the entire team. We can’t wait to have you back with us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed here 2 times now. The help are wonderful, the Social Hour (Free Happy Hour) is AWESOME and the rooms have been always clean! I love the space the room provides, the bed is so COMFY, and the location of the Helix is close to so many bars. The room prices are very comparable to other hotels in the area if not cheaper. Helix makes for a great place to crash after a night out!

Room Tip: if you join their rewards program, you can get rooms for really cheap!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the Awesome review of the Helix from your recent visit. Please know that I will pass along your thanks as well as mine to the entire team for knocking it out of the park. We can’t wait to have you back with us again soon on your next night out.

White Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We took our two Airdale terriers in the car. They had a happy hour where they gave the dogs water and treats and the drinks and appitizers are deeply discounted. The location is great and the hotel is very clean. The only negative is pretty minor, parking often backs up onto the street because it is a small valet area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review of the Helix from your recent visit. I am so glad your dog enjoyed themselves at wine hour. We can’t wait to have you back with us again soon on your next visit to washington DC.

Paarl, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Wonderful hotel with firendly, efficient staff! Rooms are big and so comfortable. The hotel is funky and beautiful, everyday I noticed a new detail. Loved the staff recommendations for shopping, dining etc, creates a really personal touch. Will definately stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the Fantastic review of the Helix from your recent visit. Please know that I will pass along your thanks as well as mine to the entire team for knocking it out of the park. We can’t wait to have you back with us again soon.

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I like Kimpton hotels and was a little concerned when reading the other reviews but we decided to book it anyway. We loved the hotel, and found it to be fun and refreshing. It most def. is not your box hotel room and we liked that. The wine happy hour was very nice as well. Parking is a bit steep but other than that we loved it. Oh and the bed was INCREDIBLE.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review of the Helix from your recent visit. I am so glad to hear that beds were COMFY and and you had great night sleep with us. We can’t wait to have you back with us again soon on your next evening in DC.

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!