“Very Pleased!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #74 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Petworth, District of Columbia, United States
“Very Pleased!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was extremely pleased with my experience at the Helix. Upon my arrival, the valet attendant was punctual and flexible, my check in was smooth and very informative! (in room internet access, perks and events at the hotel that weekend). My room was perfect!! Exactly as is in the photo so there were no suprises! Prestine condition!! Room service was prompt and accurate and even poured me up a few glasses of bubbly on the house! If ever in DC, Helix is where its at!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Helix_GM, General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Byrd W,

Thanks for the outstanding review of your stay at the Helix! Looks like the team did a great job from start to finish and I am really glad that you enjoyed the bubbly and your guestroom.

We hope to see you again soon, you are not even that far away!

James Adamson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Wife and I called in Granma to take care of the kids and took a weekend staycation in the hip Logan Circle/U St area for our dating anniversary. The suite was very nicely decorated and spacious with the usual Kimpton cheek. The hotel is a half block off the main strip, so relatively quiet street. We explored the neighborhood with multiple stops for the next few hours. I had inquired about champagne prices (but didn't order) and we had a comp bottle waiting for us when we came back from the walk. Overall, a fantastic experience and highly recommended if you want to spend time in DC, but away from the common tourist sites.

Room Tip: The suite was definitely worth the extra $.
Dear bmdorood,

Thank you for the outstanding review of your stay at the Helix! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your suite so much and the staff took such great care of you and you were able to get out and enjoy the local area, their really is a ton of fun stuff going on up in this part of town.

We hope you will have your next "staycation" with us!

Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

loved it i can't even put into words from the time i stepped out of my car to them telling me i could borrow a bike for free to them remembering me from last year to them giving me a 10buck coupon for the mini bar and the room service w organic rolled oats and soy w coffe to the cutest dog i have ever seen in my life in the lobby how could any hotel beat this? THEY CAN'T

Room Tip: ok I did not get in a pool but I bet if I did it would have had the same flyy vibe as everything els...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sabrina N,

That is for sure the coolest title to a review I have ever seen!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a great review of your stay at Helix. I am really happy that everything went so well for you and you had such a great time.

Hopefully we will see you for a 3rd year in a row next year.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here last weekend.. it was mine and my husband's first time visiting DC and Hotel Helix ensured it was definitely not the last! We had such a great experience at the Helix, all the staff were very helpful and ensured we felt relaxed and welcome at all times. All the little things were taken care of, down to recommendations on where to take my husband for his surprise birthday dinner / drinks (Helix even arranged for the restaurant staff to have a cake and candles ready and waiting - i was not so organized!!) The room was very spacious and clean, the bed was almost too comfortable that we didn't want to wake up on Sunday morning! We loved the wine at happy hour as it was a great way to meet other guests and start the birthday celebrations!! I would definitely stay at any of the Kimpton hotels in the future.

Dear Erin W,

Thanks for such an amazing review of your stay at the Helix! I could not be happier to hear how great everything was and how well the staff took care of you.

We can't wait to have you back with us so we can do it again.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here the night of December 1st, 2012 with 3 friends and I loved it. The room was a little small for 4 people, but we managed. (It's a hotel, get over it.) The entire building was nicely furnished with a funky flair and I loved the artwork in the room and the hallways. The bathroom is huge and I liked the upscale toiletries. The rooms don't have a coffee maker supplied, but one phone call got me that and a tote with 2 coffee mugs and all the fixins. The honor bar was ridiculously overpriced, so we didn't touch it. The complimentary wine hour was an excellent start to the evening, and the bourbon apple cider was quite tasty. Our room was technically a handicapped room with a shower, but it was fine since we weren't in the room enough to need a tub. Customer service was outstanding and if you have a hybrid car, you'll get 50% off for valet parking, which I did. I'd gladly stay there again on my next trip here!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear norfolksailor,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Helix! I am glad that you enjoyed the service and the room and took advantage of the wine hour and the 50% off Hybrid parking price.

We hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is the worst Kimpton I've ever checked into. I'm apart of the Kimpton loyalty program, and Kimpton prides itself on clean, well maintained rooms. The Helix did not meet those standards at all.

After check in, I asked to be moved to a second room because the first room had stains on the curtains. The second room I was given had rust around the bathtub drain, wall paper coming off at the seams and peeling paint. It was so disappointing. My room wasn't dirty though, it was just an issue of the hotel not maintaining their property.

On the positive side, the location and service was great! The Helix is near Dupont Circle and it's in a safe neighborhood. As a woman traveling alone, I felt safe walking back to the hotel at 1am after having drinks with friends. The staff is very friendly, most of them are Washington natives so they are great resource on how to navigate the city.

I also really enjoyed the free champagne during the Hotel's daily wine reception/happy hour.

Room Tip: Join the free loyalty program. You'll get free wifi and a $10 mini bar credit.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear newtorontonian,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I apologize for the state of your guestroom and the experience that you had with the property itself. We are planning a renovation in the upcoming year so we will be bringing the hotel back to life and correcting all of the maintenance issues.

I am glad that you enjoyed the service and the neighborhood and experienced the wine hour, we hope that you will stay loyal to the Kimpton brand and come see the new Helix once the renovations are complete.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I'm sure a few years ago when this hotel first opened it was pretty cool. Do not let ANY site fool you in to thinking this is a four star hotel. It is at best three stars but more like two and a half. In my room (901), every place there was a seam in the wall paper it was peeling somewhere. The furniture is Ikea grade....the surfaces of the nightstand and bed were discolored, and bubbling like when you leave a wet glass on particle board/mdf. We got in to town after a 6 hour drive and didn't even really notice what a dump the entire place was until about an hour later after we settled in. By then we just decided to get a different hotel for the remainder of the weekend. We WEREN'T told by the front desk that they were holding an additional $100 for incidentals. We WEREN'T told that we couldn't access that money for TWO DAYS until it was already to late. This experience could have easily ruined our trip to DC. The people who gave this spot good reviews either had significantly nicer rooms than we did or they don't travel very often. I will never stay at a Kimpton hotel again unless I'm getting it for under $100 and not the $225 they try to rape you for. It's great for hipsters who like to spend boat loads of money for absolute garbage, I guess. That's not me.

Room Tip: STAY AWAY! That's how you find a good room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Helix_GM, General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Houdini666,
I wanted to thank you for your honest feedback regarding your visit. I sincerely apologize that your recent stay did not meet your expectations or the high standards that we are known for. Please know that I have personally looked into the room condition issues you noted and we have addressed each of them. I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience of the $100 authorization to your credit card. This is a standard practice for hotels as it is with rental car companies, etc. It is not a charge, but only a place holder for any incidentals one might incur over the period of their stay. Again, thank you for bringing these items to our attention and for your valued feedback.
Please feel free to reach out to me at any time if you would like to discuss things further.

James Adamson

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!