“The Jetsons meet Lucille Ball” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #53 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Midland, MI
“The Jetsons meet Lucille Ball”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The guy who checked me in insisted on telling me about the amenities I'd missed, such as free wine in the lobby. "I'm your new best friend Rick," he said several times to me, a stranger. Speaking of "stranger," that described the decor as compared with, oh, any other hotel. The room was big with a lot of empty floor space. A rock-hard, low, multicolored sofa was angled into the room. The "desk" was an inefficient small triangle. The TV and a lamp rotated on a sort of stripper's pole. Chiffon curtains and other, mid-century-fabricked curtains comprised the closet door, the drapes, and a divider between the nearly-empty sofa room and the bed.(Since the latter were semi sheer, their purpose was unclear.) The minibar and drawer unit looked like a chartreuse icebox from the 1950s. The artwork: Photos of Barbie and Ken. As a fiftyish business traveler, I was clearly not the target demographic. They are remodeling in 2013. I won't be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Helix_GM, General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Opinion8ted,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit. I am so sorry that you didn’t enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel and the rooms. I think you are right on with your description. The design of the hotel is meant to be quite different and unique to anything else you might find in the DC area and we try to do what we can to inspire all our guests to let their hair down or loosen their tie, if you will. As you noted we are planning a major renovation next year and I would love to invite you back at that time to experience what I think is going to be something very special. Again I am really sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your experience. If you would like to discuss things further, please feel free to reach out to me at any time.
James Adamson

1,220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised & very happy with the hospitality everyone here extended to guests. Each guest is greeted by a welcoming smile & everyone at the hotel is very courteous & helpful.
The room was very spacious, clean & well decorated. The evening wine bar is a good opportunity to interact with other guests & listen to their travel stories. Highly recommend this hotel! Worth your money!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
rcimei, Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear OlivaG,

Thank you so much for your awesome review of the Helix! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us so much and enjoyed the service and the room and the wine hour so much.

We can't wait to have you come back and see us again very soon.

Ryan Cimei/Assistant GM
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

as I say in the tittle,
rooms are ok, but the construction starts at 7 AM
also Housekeeping staff is as loud as the drilling that is happening
The rooms are kinda special tho,
And the area its in has a lots of happening places.
I guess this is good for people that dont sleep much

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hussein H, Front Office Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear smasherstef,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review about your visit to The Helix Hotel. It’s through the feedback of guests like you that we’re able to make the necessary adjustments and improvements to continue to provide a unique and enjoyable experience to everyone who passes through our doors.
I would like to appologize for the noise issues you had with your stay. You are correct we are doing some work to try improve the hotel. I can imagine that it detracted from your enjoyment, comfort and the ability to relax. I will make sure to speak with housekeepers to ensure they are more quite while working the hall in the morning. Once again I would like to apologize for the issues you faced and hope you chose to visit us again soon.

Direct: 202-521-2725
Fax: 202-521-2714
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

When we travel, we like to stay places that are anything but ordinary. Well we got it! It had a very 90's throwback tongue-in-cheek feel.....like I was in a DeeLite video. The mini fridge was a lime green old pop machine complete with wax lips and Pop Rocks. Beds were very comfy, the free cocktail reception in the lounge was a nice touch. I like that it was pet friendly, because I miss my dog when I travel. There was a misunderstanding with parking, we thought it was included in the package we got, turns out it wasn't, but the manager gave it to us anyways. Loved it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Liz K,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and quirky fun atmosphere of the Helix. Sorry to hear about the misunderstanding with parking but glad to hear we settled the matter to your satisfaction. Hope to see again soon, and next time please bring your dog we would love to meet them.

Direct: 202-521-2725
Fax: 202-521-2714
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I love, love, love these hotels. They always make me feel at home. The Helix was actualluy my first ever Kimpton visit and it definitely made me a believer in the Kimpton experience. I love the wine/beer hour in the evening. It gives time for business associates to wind down for the evening. I always look for Kimptons when I'm in DC now.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Nuanarpuk,

Thank you for the amazing review of the Helix!!! I am so glad that you tried us out and have such a high opinion of Kimpton hotels and the Helix and we look forward to you trying all of our hotels and really taking in the Kimpton experience. Hope to see again soon at wine hour.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I enjoyed my stay very much but room was expensive. Hotel rooms have a funky, modern decor and were decent size for a city. WIFI reception was not good on my tenth floor room and when I called they moved me immediately to another room- very nice. Staff was very helpful and quick...
There is a "whole foods" supermarket very close by - just cross the street, walk a few steps to the left and go through the alleyway to the next street. It was very convenient for awesome breakfast food since hotel does not provide it.

Room Tip: avoid back rooms - Back alley has garbage pick up which could disturb you if you are a late riser.
Dear Sleepert,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear about wireless issue but I am very glad to hear you were moved immediatly. Please check back for our rates since they change daily. Hope to see you again soon.

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We visited DC for our 1st anniversary celebration getaway; it took me forever to decide on a place that was different yet fair priced. But the second I saw the Helix on Tripadvisor -I feel in love! And once we arrived there, we were not disappointed. I love that the place has some spunk and character to it. If you want boring and are looking for the run of the mill place- don’t come here! We are both 30 and we really enjoyed the Helix, The staff was helpful and Fun! When we got to our room -they had placed a fruit dish and wine in our room- to help us celebrate our 1st anniversary- That was very unexpected and special! We did go to the lounge in the evening, which was laid back. Anytime we asked for recommendations for dinner, transportation, or entertainment- the staff was spot on! The room was clean, the bed was SOOOO comfortable, they actual had so good TV stations. The location was perfect for us. We caught a cab to the Smithsoun- it was about 5 bucks. Check out the City Segway Tours- Its the best way to see DC! There were good restaurants just in walking distance and I felt very safe walking around. I look forward to going to another Kimpton Hotel on our next getway. Be sure to sign up with the Kimpton Rewards. We got free internet and a free drinks during happy hour, and you get a coupon to raid the mini bar (how cool it that)! It’s the little things that Count to me, and The Helix def. exceeded my expectations! Thanks So much!

Room Tip: Join Kimpton Rewards! To get some freebies!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Shaygotcha,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for the great review. We are so glad you chose us to celebrate your one year annivesary and we hope you have many more. We hope to see you again soon maybe for the next anniversary.

Hotel Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!