“Funky, Fun, and Fabulous !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #74 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Provincetown,MA.
“Funky, Fun, and Fabulous !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had such a nice time there that I kept extending my stay. What started off as a 9 day vacation was turned into a two week stay. The staff were incredible and friendly. The room was beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed myself !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
rcimei, Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear allen13,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I am so glad that you had such a great vacation with us and you had such a great time.

We hope you will come back again next year, if not sooner.

Ryan Cimei/Assistant GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I've stayed in kimptons in 4 other cities and this property does not measure up. It is certainly acceptable - clean, good location. But quality of materials in the room lack the luxuriousness of its other properties.

• Stayed April 2012
rcimei, Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear Daniel G,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the feedback. We are a 3 star Kimpton hotel in product but we do our best to make up for it in service and with our exceptional team. I apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. We hope that you will come back and maybe give us another chance, if not we do have 8 sister hotels here in DC.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was only able to stay one night at the Helix, but it made me love Kimpton hotels. I luckily scored a great deal online for my stay ($150/night with taxes which is fairly cheap in DC). Cool room with very retro furniture. Very comfy bed and great sheets (including their famous fuzzy tiger throw). I joined the Kimpton club online and got a $10 gift certificate to "raid the mini bar". Also, the hotel has a free cocktail hour during the week and specials during dinner. Fun place!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear rheaju,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review of the Helix! Looks like you had a great time. Glad that you got to take advantage of the Kimpton In Touch program and wine hour as well.

Looking forward to you coming to see us again!

Duxbury, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Hotel was comfortable and served my family's reason to be in Washington DC. Probably one of the smallest city hotel rooms that I ever spend time in, even smaller than New York rooms. Tight for three people. There a few minor issues. Our dirty towels were not removed after the first day, but new towels added on same rack. We had three people on reservation, but only enough towels for two people. The bathroom needed more hooks, counter space, or shelving and the hallway to the bathroom in room 502 needed a light. We enjoyed the free coffee and tea in the morning and the wine hour in the evening, but also noticed that employees had quests visiting at that time. I feel that should be discouraged. I have no issues with family and friends visiting a employee but to come when it is cocktail hour and take up valuable outside seating, while employee is on duty is not very professional. Also, found though everyone was cordial, no one went out of their way to go above and beyond. There is no one to greet you and I felt the hotel was not for those who want a personal experience. Not even when the manager hosted the cocktail did I feel that guest were special but it was just part of the job. Agree that location is far away from metro, we didn't mind. It is 1.5 miles to the Washington Monument and 2 miles to the Capitol Building. We enjoyed being part of the neighborhood and loved the Whole Foods a block away as well as all the amenities that the neighborhood had to offer. The bike share was on our block, and another around the corner, great for getting close to the sights. Parking is expensive - $39 plus $7 in tax.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
rcimei, Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear kmbooth,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I appreciate all of the detail and I will certainly look at where these breakdowns occurred. We agree with you that friends should not be in the way of guest service and I apologize that this happened to you. I will also look at where the cleanliness issues occurred and what happened with the linen.

I hope this experience does not diminish your opinion of the Helix and Kimpton hotels, we hope that you will come stay with us or another DC Kimpton on your next visit.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have, in the past, liked staying at Kimpton Hotels and it hurts me to have to give Hotel Helix this review but I really want to caution others about staying there. Something is just off there, but the staff seems friendly.

First, the hotel takes some adjustment. The furnishings give it a retro feel but it also just feels cheap...kind of college dorm mixed with efficiency apartment. A few evenings I returned from my workday as others were checking in. Everyone (OK, maybe everyone over a certain age) just looks mystified as they make their way in the humid warmth past the neon and music down the narrow hall to the slow elevators.

I stayed in a room on the 10th floor - but it must have been originally schedule for someone else because at least 3 times someone called me by another name when I called the front desk. And, you caught it, I HAD to call the front desk multiple times. The air conditioner didn't work in my room, they said they fixed it the next day and at least it was blowing cool air instead of room temp, but because it's not cental air you couldn't really tell. I had the air set on 65 and at home that would not be possible, it'd be way too cold. The TV wasn't plugged in when I got there, my bad for not noticing that before I called. I could have looked behind the entertainment center first. Then, each morning it would lose signal. I'd jiggle the cords and it would come back. Finally on my 4th evening there was no signal, no jiggle helped and I had to bother them once again! I asked for the yoga bag the first night, never got it. Some days the paper was there in the morning, but don't count on it, wasn't there everyday. And, as the cherry on top, the blow dryer overheats when on Hi for 20 second or so. You have to wait and reset it before you can try again.

I was supposed to get free breakfast but could never figure out where it was - except for coffee/tea. I was only able to hit the wine hour once, worked late the other days. I had room service and it was fine - not great, not bad.

The area has interesting restaurants but it's an odd location....nice, but long walk from downtown so in the a.m. I grabbed cabs. That's not easy because it's in a neighborhood, not a cab route. I wasn't out late alone, so I can't comment on whether I'd feel safe.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, the room clean and the mini bar prices cheaper than other hotels. If you're going to be out sightseeing or working all day maybe my complaints don't matter as much to you. For me, I worked long days and really wanted to relax and not have worries at the hotel - instead the frustrations just made my days longer!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Anne2NewOrleans,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review. I do apologize for the shortcomings in the service levels and issues that you encountered in your rooms and I thank you for making us aware of them so we can follow up and see what went wrong.

I agree with you, our duty is to provide a stress free release from the hassles of traveling and a long hard work day and on this occasion with you we fell short and I am sincerely sorry for that. We do hope that you will come back and give us another chance to see what we are really all about in terms of service or if not, one of our other 7 sister Kimpton properties here in DC.

Norman, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was visiting friends in the DC area, but wanted to get a hotel so that I vacation at my own pace without too many outside influences. Hotel Helix was the perfect location for my trip. It was in walking distance to all the great areas with the best restaurants, shopping, and bars/clubs.

The only downside to my entire trip had absolutely nothing negative to do with Hotel Helix. In fact, the hotel turned the lemons into lemonade. Since I was on vacation and using my credit card in several different locations over a short amount of time, my bank cancelled my card without confirming with me. When I got to the hotel my card status was declined. I then called my bank and they told me it was going to take several hours to make this correction. Needless to say, I was not a happy traveler. When I told the front desk of my situation, without hesitation, they took care of my bags and pointed me in the right direction of great places to eat in the area. When my card finally started working again, I went back to the hotel to check-in. Upon checking-in, the very polite and professional staff set me up with some great drink coupons for the hotel bar, which is very good, and a few other benefits to help build back my overall morale. The situation with my bank was not their problem, but they owned it and reaffirmed my appreciation for superior customer service.

The Hotel Helix is a fun, gorgeous, comfortable hotel in the best part of DC. I would absolutely recommend it to any traveler. It will be the only hotel I stay in while in DC for future trips.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kasey C,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your stay at the Helix! I am really glad that the team took such great care of you and put your mind at ease in regards to your credit card.

I really hope that you come see us again soon!

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Super nice staff, really cool decor and rooms, great location, I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: I chose the basic room and it was still really cool (although a little small - probably not good for...