“Pop Art Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Helix, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Helix, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Helix, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #74 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, NY
“Pop Art Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Helix for just one night (my wife and kids had been there before) and had a great time. Smackdab in the 14th Street district, there is plenty of food and some shopping to choose from, although the recession has hit a few smaller boutique stores hard- a cherished chocolate shop closed since our last visit. The rooms are fun and different and all decorated with a 60's Worhal-ian sensibility. Free wine and champagne at 5 and free coffee in the morning, and PLENTY of dog owners passing through the small lobby with their leashed pets.
It's located right next to the Studio Theater where we saw a friend in an excellent play and there is a Whole Foods right up the street for supplies. 3/4 of a mile walk to the mall. All in all a great place for couples, pet owners, and families looking for fun at a reasonable cost.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
rcimei, Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear Scootrip,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. I love that you created a new word "Worhal-ian"! It does describe the Helix pretty well. I am glad that the location worked out so well and you were able to check out the play at the Studio theater and enjoy a lot of the other things this part of the city has to offer.

We hope you will come see us again soon and continue to explore DC!

Ryan Cimei/Assistant GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Wonderful hotel made even better by an incredibly helpful and friendly staff who went out of their way to take care of us. Advice on places to go, responsiveness to requests, flexibility and just general niceness on their part made our stay terrific.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear M N,

Thank you for your wonderful review and great kind words about the staff. We really do have a wonderful team of people here that geniunely care about our guests and how much fun they are having when they stay with us.

We hope to see you again.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

The Helix is my home away from home when I'm in Washington. I've had the opportunity to stay there many times over the past five years and have always been comfortable and enjoyed my visit. The staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful, and make me feel like each visit is my first and needs to be made special. I like the free wine bar. The location is very convenient to all of downtown DC. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear michael m,

Thank you for making the Helix your home away from home! We are so glad that you love us so much and continue to stay each time you visit Washington. We look forward to having you with us for years to come and promise to stay just as nice.

See you soon!

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I like kimpton hotels so far this has been my fav in DC. Reception is very cool looking and staff are very helpful. Hotel is quiet and clean.
Little bar area but nothing much seems to happen there. I really enjoyed our modern room, the bed had it's own little nook with nice lights that dim and a sheer that could cover it. There was plenty of room and a little sofa, which i think could turn into a bed. The only bad part of this room is the bathroom, it's soooo small, i could barely move in there.
Will stay here again

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear kidsandtravel,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Helix! I am really glad that you enjoyed the service and the room so much. The alcoves where the beds are really do add a lot of space to the rooms. I am also really glad that you like the modern decor.

Please come visit us again on your next trip!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed at the Helix in early January for two days as part of a 6 week trip around the US.
Firstly the service was quick and friendly - we arrived before check in time and it wasn't even mentioned. We then had a follow up call in the room to make sure we were happy with the room.
The rooms were quite large with a funky decor, not quite my cup of tea but comfortable and clean netherless.
The location was handy to most Sites in DC if you were willing to walk a little and has some good restaurants nearby. Also if your back at 5 they have 'wine hour' where you can drink as much of a featured wine in the bar as you like for an hour which is a great touch. They also have free coffee in the morning as well.
Overall the Helix was great value for the price we paid and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear BriggsyJB,

Thank you for your review of the Helix! I am so glad that everything worked out so well on your recent stay and you had such a good time and were able to take part in the wine hour! It really is a great way to end a long day of work or sightseeing.

We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to DC!

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I am generally a big fan of Kimpton Hotels. The Helix has some of the great features that characterize the chain, including: 1) very friendly service, 2) a non-standard, hip vibe, and 3) free wifi and minibar credit if you join the loyalty program. The Helix also has a good location in the Logan Circle neighborhood, and is reasonable walking distance from large parts of downtown as well as Dupont Circle.

A few areas where I felt the Helix didn't compare as well to other Kimptons:

1) the two rooms I've stayed in were spacious, but definitely on the darker side -- it's pretty evident that the hotel is an old apartment building converted to hotel use, and it makes the rooms a bit awkward feeling;
2) maintenance: while perfectly clean, the rooms are starting to show some age (e.g., water damage around sink edges, somewhat aged carpets)
3) the decor: people seem to love the pop kitsch of the Helix, but it felt to me like a 80s apartment building trying to cover itself up with cheap distracting decor.

Overall, I'd stay at the Helix again, but leaving aside location, among the Kimpton hotels I've stayed at in the area, I prefer the Topaz at a similar price point, or either Monaco if you're willing to spend more.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear mikelovesutah,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at the Helix. I am glad that you generally enjoyed your stay with us and I do apologize about the lighting and upkeep issues that you had in your room. We are looking at solutions to the lighting issues in some of our rooms as a way to make them seem more welcoming and comfortable.

We hope you will stay with us on your next visit to DC!

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Decided to try another Kimpton hotel since I loved the first one, and let me say, this one was not a disappointment at all!!

This one is also themed, and has 70's decor throughout the hotel and it is done very tastefully. They gave me a bag of skittles and bottle of water upon check-in, which I thought was a cool touch.

There is free champagne around 5 in the evening and the food at the bar in the hotel is great!

The room was great too! I had a king size round bed with a shear curtain that wraps around the bed. They had an old school type tv and stereo system in the room to go with the 70s decor and cute chaise lounge to match along with the bright orange mini bar.

The service was great here too. I think Ive become addicted to the Kimpton Brand. I wish they were everywhere I traveled.

Parking is a little expensive and the cell phone reception was terrible, but I would still stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Helix, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you WeddingDiva for taking the time to provide us with your great feedback . Since Alexandria is real close please come back again soon and visit the George.

Been to Helix, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!