“Great value location for business at Capitol” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #82 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great value location for business at Capitol”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed here for one night since I had business to do at Rayburn Building (House of Representative Offices) the next morning. Rayburn is very close and the price for the Holiday Inn was very reasonable for DC. Rooms were comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the side next to the "train tracks" - ask for rooms facing Mall.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
I hope you will come again and stay longer. Maybe make the next trip for pleasure and see and do all of the wonderful things here in DC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Finnish first
Napa Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The rooms were reasonably priced, clean, quiet and updated from the pictures we viewed online. We were on the courtyard side on the 7th floor and we were pleasantly surprised when we walked into the room. This is an excellent location for sightseeing families. The Air and Space Museum is 2 short blocks away and it is about as close as you can get to the center of the National Mall. I would book this again in a heartbeat if we ever go back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I really appreciate you staying with us and telling others what you experienced. Thank you.
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is a very nice Holiday Inn with clean rooms and nice amenities. Unless your an earlier riser, make sure you get rooms on the C street side of the building, the other rooms hear the train whistle blowing. Great location to the sites and to the National Mall.

Room Tip: C street side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate your review of our hotel and telling others about our clean rooms, amenities and location.
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My co-workers and I come up for work and spend a week at various times going to training at 600 Maryland Ave, SW. The Holiday Inn is across the street from the building and is also across the street from the Department of Education Lyndon Johnson Building. M-F 600 Maryland Ave SW has restaurants open, a shoe repair, dry cleaners, Wells Fargo Bank. You can walk to some of the Smithsonian and there is always an army of taxicabs parked outside the hotel. It is clean and comfortable and has free wifi. There is a business center with three computers available for guests. The staff is courteous.
There is just one problem. M-F at 6:18 am on the horn on the computer train to and from Virginia blows and they blow several other times in the morning (yes, I am one of those obsessive compulsives who looks at the clock when I am awakened). (It is also across the street from that train stop). Last year when we came, we requested in advance that we get rooms that did not face the train. They said they were giving us the best rooms they could, but hello choo choo for both of us. This year we came up again because we love rolling out of our beds and going to work. Again we requested rooms that did not face the train. When we checked in they said they gave us the best rooms they could-but at 6:18 am my train alarm clock went off. Will I come back again next year? Yes, I take my time getting up, have a leisurely breakfast and make it to class early. I don't worry if it's going to rain and don't have to take a taxi or the metro. During lunch I can return to my room. Are there rooms that are train free? yes, other people have gotten them, but not me. The commuter train does not run on weekends, so families who go there then do not have to worry about the train.
One criticism I do have is that before they remodeled they had a wonderful concierge, an older man who was right on with advising us where to eat. They do have a list of restaurants, but he knew the menus, how spicy they were, how long it would take to get there, etc. We all miss him.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want to be on the side with the commuter train and call them repeatedly at t...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate you staying with us during your training. I'm sorry the train is an issue for you and we haven't been able to get you located elsewhere in the hotel. Good news, the concierge you were talking about is still here. He is just located in the gift shop inside the hotel. He will be here next time you visit us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This hotel is easy walk to Air and Space Museum and the National Mall. Easy access to l'Enfant metro station - about 1 block away. We rented a couple of King suites for a family getaway. Price was reasonable. About $147 per night with taxes. Room was huge. Now for the cons: The rooms are directly above the train tracks. Even on the 7th and 8th floors the trains are very loud. We had a train at 7AM on Sunday morning complete with horn. We had a great deal of trouble at check-in. We arrived at 11am and spoke with the front desk to confirm that we were there. We told them we would go out sight-seeing but needed to be in the rooms at 3PM to get ready for a family event. No problem we were told. When we returned we were kept waiting at 30 minute intervals until 6PM when only 1 room was ready. The second room still had housekeeping inside. We missed our family dinner and could not reschedule. Clearly there is a complete failure on the part of management to clean the hotel in a timely fashion. Our room keys did not work and we had to make multiple trips to the front desk to get new ones. This was a common problem and many people were waiting for rooms and working keys. I would think that this should be no surprise to their management that they need to clean the rooms and have them available for guests as expected. They offered us coupons for the Bistro breakfast buffet as compensation. It's this little things - causing your guests to miss a planned event because they can't get in the room to shower and change clothes - that caused me to give a low rating. This might sound petty but some of our rooms had 2 bottles of water and some had none. Our room did not have a bar of soap. Again, an indicator that housekeeping and hotel management are not doing things correctly. We travel over 100 nights a year around the country and this hotel really didn't meet basic expectations. Please note that other than the hotel dining there is very little around the hotel for food options. If you have children along with you the closest fast food is up at the Smithsonian. Plan to take the metro to another part of town if you want more options. There is a parking garage across the street that offers $30 weekend parking - a savings of $7 over the hotel fee of $37.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
I'm so sorry you missed your family dinner. We try our very best to accommodate all of our guests and get them checked in when check in starts at 3:00 PM. However, when we are busy it is sometimes hard to do. In addition, we try and honor our IHG Reward members with a 2PM check out. If we have many of these, it does indeed cause a delay. Again, I'm so sorry this happened in your case. As far as fast food, there is both a McDonald's and a Quiznos on our block. Full service restaurants and night clubs are only a short walk or within two Metro stops away. Again, I'm sorry for what you experienced.
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

For starters, we were able to get a great deal on this hotel. It averaged about $200/night including the cost of parking. We originally picked it as it was about 400 yards from the Air and Space museum, and the mall. We did not want to have to drive anywhere if possible.

Rooms: honestly for the price in a major city, I was very impressed. Nice beds, queens, not full, and great pillows. The hotel was completely remodeled, and it shows. Tons of space for clothes, and counter space for all your stuff that accumulates on family trips. Fridge in room, as well as Keurig coffee maker. We did not have a great view as we were on the third floor (overlooked the DOE building) but honestly that was the only downfall and I think they would have changed us if I had asked.

Staff: very helpful, attentive, great job overall.

Pool: rooftop pool with amazing view of the capital. Great for the kids and parents after a long day walking. It was not heated, that I could tell, as it was a bit chilly on an 80 degree day, but still, great for a refreshing dip in the afternoon.

Room Servicet: We did room service one night as we got in late. 4 club sandwiches was about $56 with tip. A little crazy but it is room service. They also come pick up the tray if you call and it was gone within 15 minutes. I have to say that is one thing that always is a downfall of hotels: room service trays in the hallways all night, and into the next day. gross. So, their quick retrieval was an A+ in my book.

Restaurant: We went to the 21st amendment bar and grill on our first night. The service was very slow: from the time we sat until we left was over 2 hours. With a 10 and 12 year old, this could have been a nightmare, but they were tires and had their electronics. Not a ton to choose from on the menu. I got the bison burger. a BLT, a sirloin salad and grilled cheese rounded out the meals. With two drinks our bill was over $100 which, for the quality was not what we expected. I live in a city in the Boston area and $100 gets you a hell of a lot more good quality good. I would not go here again.

Parking: below building, easy access, you can come and go as many times as you wish for no extra charge.

Starbucks in the lobby = great!

Overall, the price is what pulled us in. I would not recommend the food unless you are exhausted and can't walk to another establishment. Location is perfect for the Mall, and Capital area. Friendly staff. great pool. Beautiful upgrades to the rooms. Quiet, quiet, quiet hallways and rooms, never heard a peep from any neighbors.

Room Tip: ask for a higher room if you want a view. Otherwise you will be staring into some offices.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and telling others about what you experienced. I appreciate your very detailed review. I will share with my team your comments. I hope you and your family return soon.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed here 2 years in a row and have had great experiences and service both times. Just a couple of blocks from the mall and the capitol building. Everything, including memorials is certainly walkable from this location but you'll be putting on the miles. The metro is fabulous too. The only drawback is that restaurants are about a half mile away. After dark, nothing close by is open.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
We especially appreciate our return guests. Thank you for your loyalty. I hope you will come once again.

Been to Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol? Share your experiences!