“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Weekend Savings!
Ranked #85 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel was our base for a 1 day visit to the capitol. We found this hotel to be ideal as it put us in walking distance of just about everything including the White House.

The rooms were well maintained and cleaned. The beds were comfy and the rooms had all the normal facilities.

The Panda Package had a very cute plush but the other contents were pretty naff so just be aware of what you're buying!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip to DC. I appreciate your review and hope you will visit us again when you can stay longer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

The hotel is clean, the rooms are recently refurbished and the staff is friendly. Good location for business near the capital or visiting the National Mall (right near Air & Space Museum & Smithsonian), and about 2 block walk to the L'Enfant Metro station.

Room Tip: Request room facing the courtyard...or the street. We heard that the rooms facing the train tracks c...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
We appreciate you staying with us and reviewing our hotel. Hopefully, you will visit us again.
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Chose this hotel as we had a one day stop over in DC and it was closest to the National mall and the Smithsonian.

We flew in the Reagan , and the hotel was 10 minutes by taxi, it was late so check in was late, reception was still being renovated, but we got rooms on the 9th floor, await from the railway and they were fine

Room was nicely decorated, very clean with everything required, shower was very nice.

The location was perfect, we left our. Ages for the day and explored the mall,bathed hotel is 100m from the back door of the aerospace museum, perfect.

One word of warning, in the evening there is nothing around, no restaurants no bars as the whole ares is government offices , so bear that in mind when planning, the hotel has it's own bar an restaurant which seem ok if a little expensive

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate your comments and review of our hotel. Thank you for mentioning our location and newly renovated rooms. I hope if you are ever back in our area and our here for more than 1 day, you will choose our hotel again.
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Before I went to DC I checked TA and in the last ten reviews nobody mentioned the railroad and so I ended up in a room that looked out onto L'Enfant station. Imagine my surprise to see a train outside my window when I got to my room.

Having sad that, and my room 251 was perhaps the closest to the noise of the rails and the loading dock/mechanical room under that corner of the building, I would have no problem recommending the hotel to my family. Ask for a room on upper floors or courtyard; I was able to sleep during the first two nights but the train guy insisted on blowing the horn Monday morning.

The train line is both a commuter and freight line and generally gives the room (251) a very low rumble as it passes. The hotel is a U shape and 251 is the last room on the sixth street side. I think that 253 to 275? are also at train level, but I did not see those rooms. Best to take a courtyard/upper room. I was asked by staff if I wanted a noisy room at 3PM(when I arrived)(with a reservation) or a quiet one at 4:30 PM..

As mentioned by others, this is a prime location to walk to the sites. Air and Space is less than five minutes. Capitol is about 15minutes away and I am 63 years old.

The hotel is undergoing renovations, without disturbance. Room 251 was a newly done unit. Whoever bought the furniture has stayed in a hotel room before. The fixtures are bland but functional to the extreme. Laying in bed reading I could reach out to touch a rocker switch that handled a general light or a pin light on a flexible arm to read by. In other hotels on this trip, I had to get out of bed to turn off the reading light, which sometimes was the room light.

My room had a couch that had a reading lamp tucked in behind...again the switch was at the ergo friendly height. The room had a rolling desk for those who have to work while in DC..I used it as my suitcase stand. WIFI etc was offered to me free, as was an ink pen, more suitable to my generation..

I tried the dining room for breakfast only. That addition was offered to me on-line for $20 for two...staying by myself it was about 18. tax in (tip made it $21.). It was a full buffet and obviously the breakfast chef enjoys his work...two days we had Eggs Florentine. with freshly wilted spinach leaves and mushrooms. Not to everyone's taste perhaps, but a sure sign that the kitchen staff cares about what they are doing.

For those families staying with kids the hotel shares the "C" street block with a Quiznos, a McDonalds ,a CVS Pharmacy/Food Store and a few other stores. A minute away.

I went to DC worried about how safe it was...I looked outside my room each night and saw that even up to sundown, parents were walking their kids down the street. Don't ask me about 1 in the morning, I'm 63...

I was very happy with my stay at Holiday Inn Capitol.

A warning though..

If driving in from the Potomac side of the city, on Independence Ave stay in the centre lane before Washington Monument. While the horizon looks like the curb lane goes through, two lanes turn right and so it is part of a wicked trick to get you to turn onto Maine Ave and then to explore other parts of the City and its expressways. Been there, done that.

Jac

Room Tip: away from the railroad
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for the very detailed review of our hotel. You were so specific, I would think that some would think you worked here. We do have several mature employees, so you would fit right in. I really do appreciate all of your comments. Since DC has so many wonderful things to see and do, I hope you will return and introduce yourself to me.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol on 4/23/2014. I arrived a little early from NYC and a woman named Ilien at the front desk greeted me. She was great about checking me in early, it was quickly and she gave me a quick rundown of local activities.

I've read a lot of about the varying conditions of the rooms recently and I was a bit hesitant...As it turns out, the rooms are in excellent condition. I've stayed in varying levels of hotels (from basic to way too expensive) and the Holiday Inn tends to be pretty consistent: clean, comfortable, helpful staff, PLUS a fridge, haha.

Great location - next to the national mall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
I'm glad you put your hesitations aside and stayed with us. I'm also glad we exceeded your expectations. We did just finish a major renovation of all 536 of our guestrooms. I think they are both modern and elegant. I think we have a great hotel in a great location to see DC.
Karachi, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The biggest advantage is its location. When I arrived, I had lost my luggage so checked in and just went to sleep. Very clean and tidy hotel. It is very close to Capitol Hill and lots of famous places like Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Capitol Hill and National Museum of American History. There are ample restaurants, road side food stalls and shops in this area. Lots of taxis and cabs so going to any place is not a problem. The Hotel gives good service. When the Airlines finally delivered my luggage it was neatly placed by the staff in a safe room. Good staff and nice atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I'm so glad the airlines found your luggage. I know what tha is like having had it happen to me once on a trip to Florida. Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your stay. I appreciate it.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Expected an average, old, but clean hotel. Half the price of the others in the area. Had poor reviews relating to the noisy train, dated decor, etc. Walked in to a newly renovated lobby, with staff happy to see us and efficiently handled our check in. Even more surprised to walk through what looked like a newly renovated corridor to our room to find our room had also been completely renovated! Brand new everything! Exceptionally comfortable beds with a good choice of pillows. Lights everywhere! Brand new bathroom. The train is an issue if you are a light sleeper, even if you are in a room over looking the courtyard. Ear plugs fix that. Efficient and reasonable room service. Two restaurants (one with al la carte and buffet dining, one with a bar). A Starbucks and a small gift shop. Two minute walk to the Aeronautic museum. Five minute to the mall. Double decker hop on/off bus leaves from outside the museum every 20 minutes and goes to all major attractions. Absolutely brilliant value and perfectly located. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard and away from elevators.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
I'm so glad we exceeded your expectations. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and provide so many details to other travelers. We look forward to your return.

Been to Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol? Share your experiences!