“Bad service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The service upon check-in was really bad, they did not know what they were doing. I called before i checked in to make sure my accompany would be able to check in with out me and they said "yes no problem as long as they have the white card at check in". My accompany Janet Romero arrived with the employee card late around 11 pm tired and ready to get some rest but they would not check her in because I wasn't present. I called and spoke to the guest service representative as Janet was checking in and was denied the employee rate with out my presets he told me he would have to change the rate to the $89 rate. I then asked to speak to a Manager and was able to speak to a Stephanie Hunter,she informed me that they would not be able to check in my accompany with out my presets I explained to her that i was in NY and wasn't coming back until next week. Stephanie didn't seem to care at all she told me they would have to pay full amount which was $102 a night after the other employee told me it would be $89 a night. That is so unprofessional and very upsetting! after speaking to the manger for 20 min she started questioning me if i was even an employee at a Holiday Inn which was really stupid and unprofessional of her! At that point I had enough with her! I spoke again GSR and he told me he would give me the $89 rate until i showed up. I had to drive back the next morning all the from NY just to be present and get the employee rate. That next morning there wasn't any water and were given water bottles to shower with how disturbing that was for my guest! When i got there to show my presents i noticed our heat wasn't working. The engineering guys was so friendly and awesome, he fixed our heat but after 5 min it didn't work again. I called the front desk and the GSR on duty was very rude! I explained to her that i was trying to get in shower and needed to know if we had to move rooms or not she told me ' I don't know I will have to call you back". That for me isn't good costumer service! we finally moved rooms and they did not seem to car nor did they apologize for the disturbance. When we got into the elevator it looked liked housekeeping storage room i took pictures and will be sending them in as well. I've stayed at many IHG hotel properties and this has been the worst service! Coming from someone who works at a hotel dealing with costumer services on daily bases I was really upset on how this staff delivers costumer service and i check out i wasn't asked how my stay was and I must say Stephanie Hunter doesn't deserve the manager position she really needs to take costumer service classes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
As an IHG and Holiday Inn employee, you know that it is required for the employee to be present and present the white card upon checking in to get the discounted employee rate. This rate is a priviledge based on being an employee. Our hotel follows the brand standard and rquires the employee's presence. I'm sorry you thought otherwise.
I will be reaching out to your general manager to discuss this issue further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stay here because they have a corporate rate with one of my clients and it's located just a few blocks away. The location is great for visiting DC. It's close to almost every metro line and walking distance to the museums. There's not a lot of restaurants close by but the hotel offers a few choices. The staff was very nice. Watching the bellman tie a tie for a guest one morning was one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time on the road.

The rooms were adequate but need renovating which they are about to do. According to information provided by the hotel, it sounds like it will be very nice. My problem was the noise. My room was overlooking the train tracks and the trains start up early in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay away from the trains!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I appreciate your comments. We are indeed in the middle of our renovation. Hopefully, you will return and visit us in the spring when everything will be done in the guestrooms, bathrooms and hallways. As far as the train noise, we are addressing the noise issue as part of our renovation. I don't believe it will resolve all of the noise, but definitely decrease it.
westchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol before - location was especially nice, and service was good. This time, however, we had problems with hot water in the bathroom sink. It never really got beyond tepid. We notified the front desk the morning after we checked in, but nothing was done for the remainder of our stay, which was three days. The shower/bathtub wasn't greatly hot either. I can understand that the hotel might have had issues ... but they might have said something when we notified them of the problem. Maybe it's time for another place for us for D.C. stays.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
I'm sorry you had water issues during your stay. We discovered that many of our water diverters are worn and not working correctly. As part of our renovation that started in November, we are replacing all of our water diverters and tub/shower mixing valves. This should rectify the issues throughout the hotel. Again, I'm so sorry you experienced what you did. Before you stay elsewhere, I hope you will visit us again as we complete renovations. I think you will be pleased with all of the changes we are making.
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel is in the govt centre of DC so not many facilities, including restaurants locally available, although Metro station is close by. Average Holiday Inn - currently being refurbished, which is needed. Shower perpetually lukewarm on full 'heat' and 'hot' buffet food at breakfast (not a great choice, either, for $17) lukewarm to cold every morning in a 5 night stay. Would not return.

Room Tip: Not at rear! backs on to freight rail track with at least 2-3 trains during the night which sometime...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
I hope you will consider giving us another try. Our guestroom renovation will be complete by the end of March 2014. Everything in the guest room, bathroom and hallways will be brand new (including water mixing valves which controls the water temperature). We are installing a brand new buffet in our restaurant in May. We are excited about the changes. I think the changes will address the issues that were mentioned.
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hotel is in the federal center SW area of WDC. The property is very convenient to several federal agency headquarters, and close to Metro stops. It is also a short walk to the National Mall, National Gallery and Smithsonian Air and Space museums. The downside is, that because most of the area is federal office space there are no good restaurants near the hotel (certainly not within walking distance). There is a Starbucks attached to the lobby, which is nice for morning coffee.

The lobby and general presentation of the hotel is nice and the gym is fairly well equipped with treadmills, bikes, elliptical, weight stacks, and some free weights. Parking is a subterranian garage, and is $30 per day. The hotel restaurant is adequate, and the service is good, but the menu is somewhat limited, and the quality is simply OK.

I had a room on the third floor overlooking C street, which was better than the rear of the hotel overlooking the metro line. The room seemed to still have it 80's decor complete with an old TV, beat up furniture, stained carpets and thin sheets. There was no closet, only a rickety armoire. The room had no safe, and was very small. The adjacent guests had apparently ordered room service and no hotel staff bothered to remove the service items for quite some time.

Overall, the room served its purpose, but for the money I think it's overpriced for what you get, and the room was very tacky. If they would upgrade the rooms I think the rating could be better, but I would not recommend this hotel if you are planning on staying in the WDC area for any more than one night.

Room Tip: Stay on the side facing "C" street or you'll have noise from the Metro.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
We are currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation. All of our guestrooms and bathrooms are being gutted and completely redone. Our new look is going to be both modern and elegant. I do hope you will return and check us out after our renovation. We should be done with all of the guestrooms (all 532) by the end of March 2014. We also have some additional upgrades in our public spaces that will be completed over the course of 2014.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Extremely handy for visiting all of the major attractions. Unfortunately our room overlooked the railway and was rather noisy but apart from this it was a quite enjoyable. The staff was great and very helpful and the rooms clean.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper try to avoid the rooms on the railway side of the building. The view is p...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to the states and Washington, DC. I appreciate you reviewing our hotel. I hope if you are ever back in this area, you would stay with us again.
st louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This hotel was under renovation while I was there. They actually had a sign in the elevator that the water would be turned off for 2 hours for certain rooms one day! Thank goodness I wasn't in one of those, or I would have really been upset! Said they would provide bottle water and the bathrooms would be open in the lobby for anyone that need them! Really?? I am going to go down to the lobby whenever I needed to go to the bathroom??

I also was supposed to be getting a King bed, when I checked in, they said none available and gave me two doubles.

Make sure you try and get a room away from the train tracks....the train goes by at all hours, not to mention, next to the train tracks, they were demolishing a building and they also do that 24/7!

When I returned from my day out, the maid had been in the room and left clean towels but did not take the dirty ones!!!

I think if a hotel is going to be under renovation and your stay will not be up to par, they should give you a break in the rates! Paying almost $200 a night for that is ridiculous.

The best thing going for this hotel was the location! Very close walk to the National Mall, all Smithsonians and the Metro.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you staying with us. We are undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation. Every room in the hotel (532 rooms) is being gutted and completely redone. The new look is both modern and elegant. I truly believe our guests are going to be wowed when everything is complete. As far as the water, renovation is always a challenge. Things come up when you least expect them. We discovered that when we were removing our toilets to put in the new ceramic tile floors, the water valves didn't hold in some rooms. Therefore, to put in new valves we had to shut off the water to some rooms. I believe in keeping our guests informed on what is happening. Unfortunately, it did indeed inconvenience some of our guests.
I do hope you will visit us again after we are completely done with our renovation. I think you will be pleased.

Been to Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol? Share your experiences!