“Nice enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
New Jersey
“Nice enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Didn't have reservations for three women made six months in advance. small room no sofa a rollaway 15 dollars a day. hotel shows it's age. the noise of the frig was louder than the train that runs next door. the two star restuarant charges five star prices. some of the staff are friendly. There are plenty of taxis and walk to many points of interest but this is a business district. there is a mc donalds and cvs in the block. count your change at the mc donalds. there was only the view of the train tracks and an alley from room 573. the pool is seasonal. there is a gym and a laundry. weather permitting you can sit outside. some times there is entertainment but what we heard was really bad. I did not chose this hotel. I tend to prefer an upscale venue that is part of the vacation destination. but for the price it is better than a motel but not much. it was clean. there were many international school groups and families There is a deli that is only open early in the morning. there is a very busy star bucks attached.

Room Tip: I was told there is no room with a view one side you hear the trains on the other the traffic they...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I'm sorry we didn't have your reservation when you checked in. I don't know what happened, but I'm glad we were able to accommodate the three of you. I appreciate your business and your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Finnish first
Lovingston, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The location was great for exploring the Smithsonian Museums and Mall. The beds were comfy and the rooms were clean. The service was good. EVERYONE was incredibly friendly and made us feel like we were "home" away from home. We will definitely stay here again when visiting DC!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We want to be your "home away from home". Thank you for choosing our hotel. We look forward to having you back.
bzylizy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is very convenient and comfortable. My husband and I stayed Fri-Sun. We had plans of using the metro during our stay, but discovered everything we wanted to do was within walking distance. We walked to the American History Museum, WWII memorial,Smithsonian Castle, America Indian Museum, Spy Museum and chinatown. We opted for the park and stay package. Parking was included in our rate. We could come and go as we please but we never had to use the car. Starbucks is a short elevator ride away which made my husband happy. I suffered through as I am a die hard dunkin fan! Breakfast buffet is what we expected. Room was clean, wifi worked well. When we checked into our room on the 7th floor, I opened the curtains to discover a train station. Front desk had no problem switching our room to the other side of the building. Still heard the train at night but if you have the ac fan on you will not notice. Would be a good place for families with kids. Our kids are now old enough to stay home alone, but would have enjoyed this hotel. Taxis are available right outside the hotel if you choose. Overall this was a great choice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad you and your husband had such a great weekend in Washington, DC and at the Holiday Inn Capitol. Like you said, our hotel really is located in a great location to visit so many of the monuments and museums here in the city. Hopefully, next time you come to DC, you will bring the kids.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This Holiday Inn is an older, but very well maintained classic looking hotel on the inside. The price was right at only $115 per night for this particular weekend. The rooms are very clean and well maintained, but a little on the smaller side. Our room was on the 3rd floor, so we could sometimes hear the traffic in the street below. There is convenient parking in the hotel, but it is fairly expensive at around $34 per night. Free internet was included with the room. The hotel is in a great location, especially close to the Smithsonian Museums and within 20 minutes walking distance of the Capitol Building and 30 to 45 minutes to the other main sites (i.e. White House, Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument). There is one main restaurant in the hotel and a couple smaller places for snacks or drinks. We ate at the main restaurant and the experience was very unusual. The staff were a little odd, especially the woman "greeter" and our waiter who were not very friendly or communicative and somewhat rude . The buffet itself was pretty good with lots of selection for dinner. The breakfast buffet had a very limited selection and, for the price, was not worthwhile. There are not many restaurants near the hotel, so choice is limited on where to eat and we had few options but to eat at the hotel. There is a McDonald's in the same block, but not much else within walking distance. Overall, this is good hotel, with no major issues.

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floors so you don't hear the traffic on the street below.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel in such detail. I really appreciate the specifics. I'm sorry you had the experience you did in our restaurant. I am going to share your comments with our Food & Beverage Director.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The service at the Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol is superb. As a frequest traveler I'm generally disappointed with the service I receive at most hotels. This hotel is exceptional from the front desk staff with timely check in service, to the housekeeping staff that brought an extra blanket and offered to modify the room temperature setting for this Southerner.

Specifically, Ms. Desta, a member of the wait staff in the restaurant insured I had a to-go-cup for my coffee every morning and made sure her timely service allowed me to arrive at work everyday, on time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cheryl, thank you for the great comments about our staff and service. I am so lucky to work with such a wonderful staff. I will share your comments with everyone and especially tell Desta you mentioned her by name. Please come visit us again.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Elsa, the front desk clerk was SO nice. She was very helpful and called our room about 30min once we were settled to see if everything was as we asked such as the roll out bed, the cleanliness, etc. The room was beautiful, had bath and body works amenities, fridge,free wifi and a nice view. The room has a thermostat on the wall to control your temp and it works GREAT! The restaurants in the hotel was SO YUMMY! Kids eat free so make sure you get your vouchers. Mcdonalds, CVS and Quiznos were right outside the hotel entrance too. The National Mall was a literally outside the entrance too! So convenient. Make sure you find out when your car has to be out of the parking garage or they will charge you extra. For us being 15min late we paid $11. We didnt know we had a limit since we paid "per day" (only let down of everything)..

Room Tip: Rooms facing the national mall or the courtyard are the quietest. the amtrak runs right past the hot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
It sounds as if you had a great trip to Washington, DC. Thank you for specifically mentioning Elsa and your other comments. We really appreciate it.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel during a quick business trip to DC. I selected this hotel because of it's proximity to my business site and because it was much more reasonably priced than other hotels in the area. Due to airline delays, I ended up arriving quite late but was pleasantly surprised by an upgrade to a 2 room suite. My suite was spacious and comfortable but I have to say that this hotel left me underwhelmed. It is hard to complain after an upgrade but I have to say that it was very difficult to regulate the temperature in my rooms and the air conditioner sounded like a jet engine every time that it started and stopped. The room was clean but the decor is dated and is showing some signs of wear. I suspect that this hotel is in line for some updates. I ordered a cobb salad topped with steak one night and was very dissatisfied with the meal. The meat was very tough and almost impossible to eat. I would not recommend it. The hotel has a small fitness center with the usual 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals etc.. I was in there alone one morning but was never able to locate the remote control for the TV. I did very much appreciate the location and convenience of the Starbucks off the lobby. I may stay here again for business but I sure won't order room service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I know you have many choices of hotels when you visit Washington, DC. I appreciate you staying with us. I am glad we pleasantly surprised you with the upgrade, but am sorry you had the a/c issues. I don't know the specific suite you stayed in, but I will have my maintenance staff check all of the suites. I don't want that to happen to other guests.

I will share your room service comment with our Chef and Food & Beverage Director. Thank you.

Been to Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol? Share your experiences!