“Location, location, location + best bartender anywhere: YOUSEF” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #79 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Tujunga, California
“Location, location, location + best bartender anywhere: YOUSEF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The only way this location could be any better is if it sat on top of a Metro station. And the bar, 21st Ammendment, has Yousef, the best bartender I have ever known. Our second night we walked into the bar and we had barely sat down at a table (the bar was full) and Yousef had brought us our drinks; I didn't even think he had seen us walk in. He is amazing: never flustered, never bothered, always cool.
We took the metro everywhere except to the Mall as it, theMall, was only a few blocks away. Besides location, a hotel is a hotel is a hotel. My wife and I have been in over a 100 hotels and motels in the last 5 years and believe me they all seem the same after a while...a little difference in size and cost, but these two are not related, and furnishings, but how much time are you spending in the room?

Room Tip: Internet prices will give you a room with the train outside.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments about our hotel location and Yousef, our Bar Manager. We think he is special also. I am going to print up your comments and give them to him and his manager, our Food & Beverage Director. It appears that you might be from the area, so we welcome you back any night to the bar. We would love to have you as one of our "regulars".

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Bridgton, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great location for sight seeing. The tour guide in the lobby was very helpful. Hotel itself has seen a lot of use and probably could use a makeover. Rooms were clean and comfortable, nothing fancy. Restuarants were okay, again, nothing spectacular.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel. I would like to share with you some renovation plans we have in store this year, 2012 and for 2013 and 2014. First, we are very excited to let you know that we are renovating all 532 of our guest bathrooms this year. In 2013-2014, we will be renovating the guestrooms with new furniture, carpet, wall vinyl, drapes, etc. We will also be doing our hallways at the same time. I'm very excited about these renovations; the colors are beautiful and everything is very modern.
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed at Holliday Inn Capitol Hotel on a 3 days trip in WA DC …

I’m not going to say it was bad but it was definitely not a good experience.

First of all the room was extremely small, with 2 double beds instead of 2 queen beds and very little space around them. We booked the room online and we could book it for 3 adults and 2 kids, so I expected to have at least 2 queen beds …

The bathroom had a decent size but looked outdated and the hairdryer had hair on it so we could not use it.

The big disappointment came from the other hidden fees we were asked to pay after the check in – when we booked the room we picked the option with breakfast included to find out at the hotel that breakfast was just for 2 adults …they wanted to charge us for the thisrd adult. After showing my disappointment they finally agreed that all 5 of us will have breakfast included. Then, in the morning we found out that the kids had free breakfast JUST if they order from the menu and not from the open bar … of course the menu did not have so many options as the open bar. So 3 adults ate from the open bar and the kids from the menu. Also, they say kids eat for free with a paying adult lunch or dinner but the dinner prices were very high for not sophisticated food so we did not take the chance.

The parking fee, at the hotel was $30/day – a fee I never read about on-line.

The hotel has wireless internet connection, but it is so bad, I mean so slow that we got tired to use it …so do not count on that, it’s like does not exist.

The only big plus of this hotel is the location – right behind Air Space Museum and all the money you pay is for this. But be aware that there are not restaurants in the area, so you will have to drive or to pay a taxi to eat dinner.

I would no go back – the subway runs very good in WA, I would rather book a hotel farther away, but close to a subway station.

Room Tip: I would no go back
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for promoting our hotel's location. We also appreciate your additional feedback. This information helps us to focus our attention on some areas of opportunity. It appears that we need to look at the things you mentioned. And just so you are aware, we are planning a bathroom renovation this year, 2012 and a major guestroom renovation in 2013. At that time, we are looking at upgrading all of our double beds to queens. Thank you for bringing these to our attention.
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Holiday Inn Capitol is a block away from a Metro stop, and a short walk to American Indian and Air & Space Museums. American Indian Museum has an excellent food court!

We arrived about a couple of hours before check in and our room was ready. They let us check our bags the day we checked it out. This allowed us to explore for the day before catching our train home.

There isn't a lot of night life, but after walking around DC for several hours, we were beat. The hotel has a bar which allowed us to have a chill out cocktail at the end of the day.

Since we were there in February, we didn't check out the pool.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for commenting on our hotel on Trip Advisor. We hope you will stay with us again.
Dublin, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

This hotel was okay, especially for the price, and the hotel staff definitely go out of their way to make the guests' stay as pleasant as possible. There is a Starbucks attached and a McDonald's at the end of the block, along with the hotel restaurants (which are expectedly expensive). A CVS is within the same block, but it closes early and has a limited selection. During the week, there is a shopping/dining area across the street, but it closes by 6. The hotel is close to the Metro station, and we took that after the experience of walking back in the dark with nobody else out walking in DC on a Saturday night. If you want to be closer to things to do in the evening or closer to more popular restaurants, look for a hotel north of the Mall.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side opposite the train! We were assigned one of those rooms, thankfully...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
One of the great things about our location other than being so close to the National Mall, museums and monuments, is that we are located in a very quiet, safe area of town. If you are looking for a variety of restaurants or night clubs, one can easily access the Metro (1 block from the hotel) and within two stops be in an area with a multitude of restaurants offering diverse cuisines and clubs.
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a week while visiting family in D.C. for the Cherry Blossom Festival and I must say this was an excellent choice! The first thing that jumps out at you when you get your bearings and realize where you are in D.C. is the location of the hotel. This hotel is literally one block away from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Everything you want to see in the National Mall is extremely close so if you want to base your trip based on proximity then you won't be able to get much closer than this hotel. In fact, the whole week I looked for closer hotels to the Mall and really didn't find any. I went to the other side of the Mall and there was a Marriott that was pretty close but as close as this one. The location probably made this trip for me I enjoyed it that much.
The only problem that I can see arising from the location is the lack of restaurants in the area. I noticed that there were some but nowhere near the variety as the other side of the Mall had. Just to clarify, the other side of the Mall is the downtown D.C. so I understood why this was the case. There are a few restaurants in the hotel and we did eat at the Capitol Bistro one night and I would not recommend it. The food was not very good at all and it is very expensive to eat there for what you get. I'll go into more detail on the price, I paid 20 bucks for garlic roasted chicken that didn't even have garlic on it! No kidding. There is a Starbucks in the hotel as well which I went to twice a day. There is also a restaurant called the 21st Amendment Bar & Grill. Though we did not eat there we were turned off by the restuarant the moment we arrived. When we arrived at the hotel to check in, there was some type of band playing in this restaurant at this time and the music was so loud that I had trouble hearing the desk clerk tell me things I needed to hear. More specifically, if you have ever been to a bar and had to yell to hear someone or talk this is exactly what it was like. Had it been just that one night I would have been fine but every night we were there it was the same thing with the music from about 7-10pm. So if you are going to eat there then I recommend getting there around 5 and leave by 6:30 before the music kicks in.
The room we stayed in was a standard double bed room. The room was decent size for two people, I imagine 4 people in this particular room would be quite crowded. The bathroom was a good size and they deliver a USA Today paper every morning to your door which I thought was great. Even the TV impressed me. Our room was equipped with an HDTV and had about 50 channels which is great for me since I like to watch TV before I go to bed. Free Internet access is also in all the rooms just ask the front dest for the password. I also heard from several people at the hotel to try and not get a room on the train tracks side of the hotel as the train coming through can get quite loud at night from what I understand. We stayed on the inside of the hotel and it was pretty quiet. The room was very clean when we arrived and the staff was very friendly the whole time.
Some traveling points you might want to know in regards to this hotel:
1. The metro is one block down and 1/2 block up (literally a 1 minute walk) and it is the L 'Enfant Plaza stop.
2. There are always cabs in front of hotels if pressed for time and they offer cab rides to Raegan (DCA) Airport for about 15 bucks not including tip which I thought was a great deal.
3. I never saw a shuttle bus while I was there, not saying there isn't one but the front dest recommends the cabs when I asked about a possible shuttle to the airport.
4. There is also a train stop across the street. Virginia Railway I believe is the particular company that goes in and out.
In summary, I really liked this hotel and when I go back to D.C. later this year I am going to try and stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on inside of hotel of the most quiet rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
What a detailed description of your stay and your experience with us. We really appreciate your comments. You have identified a few areas of opportunity for us. I will forward your comments to our food & beverage director. I also want to take this opportunity to share with you that due to many requests from our frequent guests, we do offer live jazz entertainment two nights a week at no charge to our guests. The entertainment is between the hours of 7:00 and 9:00pm, hopefully, when most guests have checked in and before most settle down for the evening. I will check this week for the volume level. I don't want our front desk agents to have issues explaining important imformation to you, our guest. We look forward to having you back. Thanks again for your comments.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My son and I stayed at this hotel on a four day visit to Washington. I choose the hotel based on a Google map that showed it's close proximity to the Smithsonian museums.

This hotel is so convenient to those visiting the Smithsonian as it's only a short walk to the Air and Space museum. There is a tour bus (that you can pay extra for) that stops right at the hotel. We ate at the buffet for breakfast which was OK.. it's hard to mess up breakfast. The service was quite slow, and we found ourselves waiting for drinks, waiting for our bill etc.

The rooms are clean and comfy and I would recommend staying there to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
It sounds as if you and your son had a great visit in Washington, DC. We are so glad you choose our hotel and really appreciate your comments on Trip Advisor.

Been to Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol? Share your experiences!