“Good value, no frills, so-so location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #79 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Columbus, OH
“Good value, no frills, so-so location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I would say for a family looking for a great place to stay that is clean and affordable, this would be the place from my experience with DC. My only problem is if you want to visit all the fine restaurants, this place is way out of the way. However, if you are visiting Capitol Hill (which we were) it is the best location. The rooms were clean, the bed was better than my bed at The Willard later in the week. They have mini fridges in the room for your own items! I love that! I stay at a lot of upscale hotels and it irritates me that they fill it with THEIR overpriced items and leave no room for anything I might have! LOL I think & heard that the neighborhood is a little dicey at night so take a cab if you go out. There is a CVS almost right next door for convenience items - no wine and beer sold there. The hotel niteclub was VERY crowded on Wednesday night and it was obvious white women were not welcome to enter to even buy a drink and walk out. OVERALL, though, a great value. They have a lovely courtyard and lobby, and a quick breakfast/Starbuck's buffet.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I think we have a great hotel, in a great location, but it is very nice to hear you, our guest, say as much. Hopefully, you will return and stay with us in the future. And just for reference, the area our hotel is located in is a very safe part of DC. Since we are located near the National Mall and the Capitol, there is always DC Police and National Park Police present. There are areas in town that I would recommend guests to be more careful in, but SW DC where the hotel is located is not known to be a problem area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

My mom and I came to DC for a mother daughter vacation. We were hoping to relax and see all the sights. The trip has been a nightmare so far. Our first room was across from the service elevator and ice machine. The train tracks were right behind our room. The floor was also filled with children on a trip who shouted and slammed doors all night. Needless to say we did not sleep well. When I woke up in the morning I found dead bedbugs in my bed. When we informed the staff of this they moved our room but did not even apologize.

There is also not many restaurants nearby and the hotel food is very overpriced for the quality.

We would switch hotels but apparently the room is nonrefundable and we spent a lot of money to stay here.

• Stayed May 2011
We truly appreciate all comments from guests who have stayed with us. I'm sorry your stay with us was less than what you expected. I wish you would have asked for me or the Assistant General Manager during your stay so we could have addressed the issues you mentioned. I believe our hotel is better than what you experienced and I would be very interested in talking with you further. If you wouldn't mind spending a few minutes talking to me, I would appreciate you contacting the hotel at 202-479-4000 and asking for me, the General Manager.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Captiol over a long weekend during our honeymoon. It was fantastically located, just of the National Mall and a stone's throw from the US Capitol building. For a history and politics buff like me, it was heaven. The hotel is about 50yds from the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, which was a great day out.
The hotel was just what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn - clean, cheap, near everything and good value. There was an onsite shop, which was handy for international papers etc, as well as a very comfortable bar and restaurant. We had the buffet breakfast each day - which was traditional American fare. It was nothing special, but for the price was very good. Eggs could be ordered fresh, and there was plenty of variety.
The bar was good, and the staff very friendly. One inquisitive member of the bar staff was fascinated by the part of England we're froma nd we spend a good hour chatting, which made us feel at home. The beer was good and the spirits measured out very liberally.
The hotel is very close to all the major things to see in DC - the Whitehouse, Congress, the Supreme Court, Lincoln Memorial and the newly opened and stunning WWII memorial. Walking round DC felt like being in a movie set.
Only one complaint about the hotel was the room we were initially given was right next to a train line which kept us awake the first night. In fairness as asoon as we complained we were moved to a better room with no fuss at all.
This hotel pretty much did exactly what it said it would. Comfortable bed, reasonable food, cheap beer. If you want fine dining and cocktails go elsewhere, if not this'll do fine.

Room Tip: Ask to be near the front of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
First, I want to offer my congratulations on your wedding. Hopefully, you had a wonderful honeymoon.

Thank you for taking the time to compliment our hotel. I think we have a great hotel, in a great location, but it is very nice to hear you, our guest, say as much.

Hopefully, you will return to the US and visit us again.
Seal Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

What a sad excuse for a Holiday Inn. This hotel seems like it hasn't been modernized since the 70's, and some of the gum is still under the seats from that time. It smells like something died in the halls, and I saw a dead cockroach in the elevator. Never, Never, Never stay here even if they give you the room for free....Worst hotel I ever saw in DC.

MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

If you are looking for a good place to sleep and not spend a ton, the Holiday Inn is a good option. We walked everywhere (probably averaged 4-5 miles a day) to see the main sites of DC. It would have been nice to be more in the middle of things, but the prices go up considerably if you want to do that. There is a Starbucks, CVS, McDonalds and Quiznos within the same block and a nice patio to sit and have breakfast or whatever. If you are on a tight budget, remember to include added fees (dc room tax 15%? parking fee $30 and even a dc parking tax $3.60 a day, so the taxes equaled over $50/day. Rooms are clean and average looking.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Thank you for commenting about our hotel on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, in any major east coast city, both taxes and parking charges are high. One of the great things about our hotel, like you mentioned, is that you can easily walk to all major museums, monuments and places of interest, without paying for additional transportation.
westchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

We were surprised to find that this is not one of the roadside Holiday Inns - it's more of a full-service hotel, with restaurants, concierge, full desk, and smiling staff. Everything went smoothly, everyone was helpful. We'll stop there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm glad we were able to pleasantly surprise you. Hopefully, we will see you again in the future.
Gray, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

There are a limited number of hotels on Capital Hill that are convenient to tourist sites and government offices. None of them are cheap. But for $330, I would have expected a room that had modern furniture, facilities that worked, or staff that was the slightest bit helpful.

First the room. My room had the meagerest of appointments. The furniture was extremely outdated and very worn. The mismatched desk chair (see photo) was so worn that the metal was almost showing through over an inch of wear off of the arms. The shower in the tiny bathroom had been obviously caulked repeatedly and looked terrible. And there were lamp cords strung out across the floor from one side of the room to the other. And over half of the channels on the television were so filled with static that they were unwatchable. And then there was the noise (see below).

Check-in was horrible. The hotel has a policy of signing everyone up for their Priority Club. In doing so, they give everyone a 2 PM checkout time. Unfortunately, that means they could not clean rooms and have them available for arriving travelers. There was no rhyme or reason to how rooms were handed out. Many people were trying to check in and all seemed frustrated. I was told there was not a room available. The next person to walk up after me got a room. Worst of all, the staff seemed incredibly indifferent. After waiting a long while and repeated asking if a room was ready, one of the staff took my cellphone number and promised to call me when a room was ready. I had business meetings at the capital at 2:00 PM and 4:30 PM. It was well after 5:30 when I returned to the hotel. I never received a call. But thankfully a room was finally available.

Unfortunately for me and the hotel, there was an organized group, there to demonstrate at the capital, also staying at the hotel. Apparently, many of the were arrested throughout my stay. From 10 PM to nearly midnight, these protesters would return to the hotel to the cheers and clapping of their friends. I called the front desk about the considerable noise and was told that they were welcoming their arriving friends. It was if this happened every day and I should be more understanding. There was no apology or offer to try to correct the situation or get security to ask them to stop.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this hotel and their staff. All they seem to have going for them is location, which is admittedly very good. But from a value standpoint, I would recommend staying somewhere else. You can always stay in Alexandria or Crystal City and take the M. That's what I'm doing on my next trip to DC.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, May 9, 2011

Been to Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol? Share your experiences!