“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Washington - Central / White House

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Washington - Central / White House to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Washington - Central / White House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1501 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #86 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from a 3 night stay and we were impressed with the hotel. As Holiday Inn Vacation members we were automatically upgraded to a suite and the hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. The tour bus that we opted for picked us up at the hotel, the roof top pool was neat to experience, and the buffet breakfast was good and reasonably priced. The only drawbacks to the hotel were that everything is a decent walk away, the TV reception was not very good, and they were doing service on the elevators-which created long waits from time to time. Keys were needed to go up to the elevator and you felt secure. Great value!

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our 2-night stay. The customer service was great! Everyone was so helpful.
Walking to the popular sites is about a 25 minute walk, but we decided to take a cab;it was 5-10 minutes and approximately $10, so not much more than the metro would run you for a few ppl.
Hotel is a great value for the price in an expensive city!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Central / White House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you very much for writing a review about your stay! We are glad you enjoyed your trip to Washington, DC and we were able to be a part of it. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Central and we hope to see you again.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My family just returned home from a week long trip in D.C. We arrived at the hotel and the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean- not the greatest view, but we didn't care as we didn't spend much time in the actual room. The hotel is very convenient and an easy walk or metro ride to any of the sights in D.C. I was MOSTLY concerned about feeling safe in the city and walking back to our hotel at night, as we have 2 children. I felt 100% safe, and the hotel is in a very safe neighborhood. 2 days before check-out, I asked if it would be possible to extend our stay by one night. The woman at the desk checked and there was not availability. I could tell she saw my disappointment, and told me not to worry about it- that she would figure it out. I feel like all of the staff at this hotel go above and beyond to make sure your experience at the hotel and in the city is a great one! The ONLY reason that I couldn't give it a '5' rating is because all the reviews that say the wifi is terrible? It is. I had some work to get done one evening and the connection is REALLY slow. If they could improve upon this, i would not hesitate to rate it higher. I would stay in this hotel again.....!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

stayed here for 3 nights with my 6 yr old daughter. great hotel but a little too far out of the popular areas for my liking, was easy enough to walk to those areas but when your dragging a 6 yr old it could hard. i was lucky my daugher was very happy to walk and the hop on hop off buses stop a short distance up the road. aussie embassy is a few doors up also so that was a nice surprise too!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Doraville, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We showed up early with a large group on July 4th. The staff was so nice and professional. They worked to get our rooms done early and they went out of their way to help us park our 15 passenger van with trailer. They reserved spots for us outside in their fenced in rear lot their employees used. The only draw backs is the pool is great but they won't let you eat at the tables or anywhere on the pool deck. And yes, the elevators need ventilation. I would stay here again. There is no breakfast and the restaurant is very expensive in my opinion. They also charge $31 for parking even if you stay there. Ridiculous! Beds were very springy to me. The beds at a Quality inn we stayed at were much better.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a 4 night stay and had a great time! The hotel is older but in good condition. It could use some updates especially ventilation in the elevators and the pool area could be improved but the lobby and rooms were great.
We had a room with two doubles on the 8th floor for 2 adults/2 kids a little small but we were t in the room much anyways. The beds were comfortable and AC worked great which was well appreciated after long days sightseeing in the heat and humidity.
We only had 1 breakfast at the hotel and it was good but a little spendy. Thanks to the previous reviews that had the tip for Whole Foods, we frequented the store often! Huge variety and the prepared food bars and deli were open until 10p. Our other favorite was the Shake Shack near DuPont Circle, best quick serve burgers I've ever had!! We ate there 3 times it was so good and the shakes were awesome too!
The hotel has a great location for accessing the metro, the big red bus or the trolley tours. It seemed a little further than 6 blocks to the White House but is walkable.
Overall we had a great stay and I would recommend this hotel to others looking for a clean, affordable hotel in a good location in DC

• Stayed July 2013
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was with a group so had to stay at this hotel for a few days because that is where my group was. At first I was concerned that it would be depressing but it wasn't at all. The room was very clean and had everything that I needed. The internet was a little flaky but I managed to work with it anyway. Since I was alone I had plenty of room for my things. The bathroom had a nice big counter to spread out all my make-up, etc. In addition there was another sink outside the bathroom. There was a desk and a sofa with a coffee table. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were nice. I don't think there was any movies on the t.v. but I could be wrong about that. I didn't have room service but I did eat at least three times in the dining room. The service was extremely friendly even though not always super fast. One night I ordered fish and it had crab in it and that was not what I ordered since I am allergic to shell fish. They apologized many times and the chef cooked me the order that I had wanted in the first place. The only thing was that I did have to ask the restaurant manager about it since the waiter kept insisting that it didn't have any crab. He finally went back and asked the chef who admitted that he had made a mistake. If you are on a budget this is a good hotel - I saw lots of Brits here.

Room Tip: King bed, non-smoking with view and fridge
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Central / White House, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Holiday Inn Central. I am pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay. I apologize that your restaurant experience was less than satisfactory. I have forwarded your comments to the manager so that he can make necessary improvements. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Been to Holiday Inn Washington - Central / White House? Share your experiences!