“Customer Service was awesome!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1501 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #90 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Doraville, Georgia, United States
“Customer Service was awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We showed up early with a large group on July 4th. The staff was so nice and professional. They worked to get our rooms done early and they went out of their way to help us park our 15 passenger van with trailer. They reserved spots for us outside in their fenced in rear lot their employees used. The only draw backs is the pool is great but they won't let you eat at the tables or anywhere on the pool deck. And yes, the elevators need ventilation. I would stay here again. There is no breakfast and the restaurant is very expensive in my opinion. They also charge $31 for parking even if you stay there. Ridiculous! Beds were very springy to me. The beds at a Quality inn we stayed at were much better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a 4 night stay and had a great time! The hotel is older but in good condition. It could use some updates especially ventilation in the elevators and the pool area could be improved but the lobby and rooms were great.
We had a room with two doubles on the 8th floor for 2 adults/2 kids a little small but we were t in the room much anyways. The beds were comfortable and AC worked great which was well appreciated after long days sightseeing in the heat and humidity.
We only had 1 breakfast at the hotel and it was good but a little spendy. Thanks to the previous reviews that had the tip for Whole Foods, we frequented the store often! Huge variety and the prepared food bars and deli were open until 10p. Our other favorite was the Shake Shack near DuPont Circle, best quick serve burgers I've ever had!! We ate there 3 times it was so good and the shakes were awesome too!
The hotel has a great location for accessing the metro, the big red bus or the trolley tours. It seemed a little further than 6 blocks to the White House but is walkable.
Overall we had a great stay and I would recommend this hotel to others looking for a clean, affordable hotel in a good location in DC

• Stayed July 2013
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was with a group so had to stay at this hotel for a few days because that is where my group was. At first I was concerned that it would be depressing but it wasn't at all. The room was very clean and had everything that I needed. The internet was a little flaky but I managed to work with it anyway. Since I was alone I had plenty of room for my things. The bathroom had a nice big counter to spread out all my make-up, etc. In addition there was another sink outside the bathroom. There was a desk and a sofa with a coffee table. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were nice. I don't think there was any movies on the t.v. but I could be wrong about that. I didn't have room service but I did eat at least three times in the dining room. The service was extremely friendly even though not always super fast. One night I ordered fish and it had crab in it and that was not what I ordered since I am allergic to shell fish. They apologized many times and the chef cooked me the order that I had wanted in the first place. The only thing was that I did have to ask the restaurant manager about it since the waiter kept insisting that it didn't have any crab. He finally went back and asked the chef who admitted that he had made a mistake. If you are on a budget this is a good hotel - I saw lots of Brits here.

Room Tip: King bed, non-smoking with view and fridge
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Holiday Inn Central. I am pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay. I apologize that your restaurant experience was less than satisfactory. I have forwarded your comments to the manager so that he can make necessary improvements. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I kept looking for hotels in the DC area at a decent price for parking. I found this hotel and it was a good stay for us. Parking was $31.50 per day, which is still on the expensive side, but better then other prices I found. When we pulled into the front drive, the valet wasn't too friendly. He saw that we were getting stuff out of the car but he didn't bother to ask us if we needed help or anything. I worked at an InterContinental before and I know that the valet person gives the first impression to the guest about the hotel and I didn't get a good feel about the hotel. I let it go and then went to check in. My husband went to park the car, which was in a garage under the hotel. I got us checked in, and the front desk agent was nice. I asked about the transportation system and he was very helpful. We went to the room and it was very clean. Now I inspect rooms when I go to hotels. After working in a hotel, I know the standards! The bed was comfortable and the pillows were great! The view wasn't too bad, we were on the 3rd floor. It was in a good location compared to the downtown and all the sightseeing places. I am a PC member, and I was recognized as one at check in and I was also given a voucher/coupon for $10 off any meal in the restaurant or a complimentary drink. We weren't able to utilize it since we were always gone. It was a good gesture! I appreciate hotels that give attention to their club members. I would certainly come back and stay! Just please make sure the valet staff does their job up to the standards of IHG! Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
southeastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Clean WELL maintained old building right in the heart of town. Picked for affordability. King room on 7th floor. Everything looks brand new in the room. Maid did a good job. Bed softer than I like .... not broke down just super plush. Staff aims to please at all levels. Good security. Really tight parking under hotel at $36 a day. Must check in first to access the garage. Wifi is painfully slow but free. Managed email ok but no way you could stream anything or get much production done. Attempted remote login to work database and could but so slow it was not much use. Pool on roof. Only place in hotel I could say obviously needs maintenance but water was clean. Pretty unpleasant nothing but concrete up there but sufficed for swimming laps. Would not hesitate to stay again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously as we strive to provide excellent guest service and comfortable accommodations. I apologize that our wifi was not satisfactory during your stay. We have taken action and started an upgrade to install new access points throughout the building. We hope to have you back again in the future to show you the great improvements that we make based on what our guests tell us. Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Central.
Leawood, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

As we prepared to visit family in DC, we sought counsel about where to stay. We were instructed to find something relatively close to Dupont Circle. As you might expect, this is a pricey area, even on weekends. We searched TripAdvisor and found this Holiday Inn to be the best overall value.

Here's what we found:

!. We hate the traffic circles
2. The Holiday Inn was very close to public transportation, and in a great neighborhood.
3. We found some of the other hotels do not have off-street parking. Those that DO have parking have expensive parking, as does this hotel.
4. The parking for this hotel is indoors - a big plus!
5. The hotel itself is old, as are its competitors. It's not in terrible shape, about average for Holiday Inn's traditional hotels.
6. The air conditioning system sounds like it's under water - I suspect the high humidity overloaded the through-the-wall unit, or its drain was clogged. We had to shut the thing off to get any sleep Sleep is difficult enough in a downtown hotel due to the sirens.
7. The hotel is solidly built, so we heard nothing from adjacent rooms nor those above. This was very good indeed!
8. The staff was very pleasant and very helpful.

All in all - given the spread of prices between this hotel and others in the area, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Robert M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay despite some issues. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Usa, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our stay here was great. Location could not be better (~15 minutes walking distance from the White House), convenient indoor parking (hence car stays cool), clean and quiet rooms, very friendly staff. I was mostly pleased with the fact that our room was ready before the official check-in time. Would stay here again and again, hard to beat for the same rate by any other hotel where I've stayed in DC.

One negative: Wifi internet was practically impossible to use (intermittent connection, too slow to use).

Room Tip: We had a street-facing room, which was very well insulated and hence very quiet. AC is really quiet...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House? Share your experiences!