“good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1501 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #91 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Charlotte, North Carolina
“good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I kept looking for hotels in the DC area at a decent price for parking. I found this hotel and it was a good stay for us. Parking was $31.50 per day, which is still on the expensive side, but better then other prices I found. When we pulled into the front drive, the valet wasn't too friendly. He saw that we were getting stuff out of the car but he didn't bother to ask us if we needed help or anything. I worked at an InterContinental before and I know that the valet person gives the first impression to the guest about the hotel and I didn't get a good feel about the hotel. I let it go and then went to check in. My husband went to park the car, which was in a garage under the hotel. I got us checked in, and the front desk agent was nice. I asked about the transportation system and he was very helpful. We went to the room and it was very clean. Now I inspect rooms when I go to hotels. After working in a hotel, I know the standards! The bed was comfortable and the pillows were great! The view wasn't too bad, we were on the 3rd floor. It was in a good location compared to the downtown and all the sightseeing places. I am a PC member, and I was recognized as one at check in and I was also given a voucher/coupon for $10 off any meal in the restaurant or a complimentary drink. We weren't able to utilize it since we were always gone. It was a good gesture! I appreciate hotels that give attention to their club members. I would certainly come back and stay! Just please make sure the valet staff does their job up to the standards of IHG! Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
southeastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Clean WELL maintained old building right in the heart of town. Picked for affordability. King room on 7th floor. Everything looks brand new in the room. Maid did a good job. Bed softer than I like .... not broke down just super plush. Staff aims to please at all levels. Good security. Really tight parking under hotel at $36 a day. Must check in first to access the garage. Wifi is painfully slow but free. Managed email ok but no way you could stream anything or get much production done. Attempted remote login to work database and could but so slow it was not much use. Pool on roof. Only place in hotel I could say obviously needs maintenance but water was clean. Pretty unpleasant nothing but concrete up there but sufficed for swimming laps. Would not hesitate to stay again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously as we strive to provide excellent guest service and comfortable accommodations. I apologize that our wifi was not satisfactory during your stay. We have taken action and started an upgrade to install new access points throughout the building. We hope to have you back again in the future to show you the great improvements that we make based on what our guests tell us. Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Central.
Leawood, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

As we prepared to visit family in DC, we sought counsel about where to stay. We were instructed to find something relatively close to Dupont Circle. As you might expect, this is a pricey area, even on weekends. We searched TripAdvisor and found this Holiday Inn to be the best overall value.

Here's what we found:

!. We hate the traffic circles
2. The Holiday Inn was very close to public transportation, and in a great neighborhood.
3. We found some of the other hotels do not have off-street parking. Those that DO have parking have expensive parking, as does this hotel.
4. The parking for this hotel is indoors - a big plus!
5. The hotel itself is old, as are its competitors. It's not in terrible shape, about average for Holiday Inn's traditional hotels.
6. The air conditioning system sounds like it's under water - I suspect the high humidity overloaded the through-the-wall unit, or its drain was clogged. We had to shut the thing off to get any sleep Sleep is difficult enough in a downtown hotel due to the sirens.
7. The hotel is solidly built, so we heard nothing from adjacent rooms nor those above. This was very good indeed!
8. The staff was very pleasant and very helpful.

All in all - given the spread of prices between this hotel and others in the area, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Robert M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay despite some issues. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Usa, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our stay here was great. Location could not be better (~15 minutes walking distance from the White House), convenient indoor parking (hence car stays cool), clean and quiet rooms, very friendly staff. I was mostly pleased with the fact that our room was ready before the official check-in time. Would stay here again and again, hard to beat for the same rate by any other hotel where I've stayed in DC.

One negative: Wifi internet was practically impossible to use (intermittent connection, too slow to use).

Room Tip: We had a street-facing room, which was very well insulated and hence very quiet. AC is really quiet...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here over the memorial day weekend in May. The property itself was clean and welcoming. But we found out that our room was not entirely clean; we picked out some really disgusting stuff from the dresser! But when we pointed it out, the person in the front desk immediately took action, cleaned up everything and even gave us complimentary breakfast for the entire stay!! And we had also requested for a microwave and mini refrigerator during our booking, which was also installed immediately after our check in. Apart from that bad experience, we totally enjoyed our stay. I would definitely come here again and recommend it to my friends and family!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed four nights, paid $150 a night and, for a hotel in central Washington not too far from the White House, was expecting less than I got. I was looking for an economy place convenient for some meetings but the room was big enough, furniture in good shape, very friendly and helpful staff, and I slept very well. There were lots of staff and they were all in a good mood, laughing and joking with the visitors and each other. The atmosphere was great. I would definitely stay here again. A negative? Well, my air conditioner was a bit noisy but I'm stretching.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We drove in for the weekend to meet up with family. We chose this hotel because it was a cheaper alternative to the nearby hotel where my family was staying and it has a pool.

We really enjoyed our stay. The room was well kept and comfortable, and while you can tell the hotel is older they have done a good job of keeping it updated. The breakfast buffet was surprisingly good, and the coffee was incredible- no exaggeration here. I assume they use the same fair trade blend they put in the rooms, but whatever it was, it was good. We were able to use the roof top pool once, and it was a little cold given the weather, but it's a nice pool area. It looks like this area was recently redone. They need to put pics of it on their website.

It's in a nice neighborhood with a lot of surrounding restaurants and stores. There's a Whole Foods maybe a block away. Be warned- I think the nearest metro station is about 5 blocks away. We used a cab (small kids and one person with a bed knee) that ran around $13 each way for a van that fit 9 people. I think the area is walkable, it just depends on how much walking you want to do. There were sirens a few times during the night, which is no biggie and to be expected in a big city.

Parking is under the hotel. If you have to drive, take your smaller car-spaces are small. It is closed off to the general public, so we felt very secure in the garage.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House? Share your experiences!