“Decent location, affordable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House

You added Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1501 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #89 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Decent location, affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My family stayed here Aug. 20 - 24th. We had a standard room which included a king size bed, a sleeper-sofa, a desk and chair, and a decent size (37" or 40") flat screen TV with cable (including HBO). The bathroom had a shower and bathtub, and there were two sinks/mirrors, one inside with the shower and one outside. There's a small fridge in the dresser, as well. The room didn't blow me away or anything, but it was clean, relatively quiet, and more than big enough for two adults and a child to share.

We stayed here mainly because it was the most affordable place that was still within a reasonable walking distance of a Metro station. From the Reagan National Airport we were able to take the Blue Line to MacPherson Square and then it was about a 5 block to our hotel (on the corner of 15th and Rhode Island Ave.).

From the hotel you're about a 1/2 mile North of the White House, or about 1 mile from the National Mall. It's a 20-30 minute walk. You're also about a 6 block walk (1/2 mile or so) from the Farragut North station where you can ride the Red Line up to National Zoo. There are literally dozens of restaurants within a couple of blocks, as well as a Whole Foods and a CVS.

I'd definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Fountain City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I traveled here with our two young sons, ages 9yrs and 6yrs old. We actually flew into DC and drove straight to Baltimore where we stayed for 3 nights. From Baltimore, we went to Gettysburg a night. Then drove from Gettysburg into DC for 4 nights, flying home from there.
I reserved this hotel through Hotwire guessing this was the property we'd end up with. At around $100 a night we knew it was steal. We arrived on Tues around 6pm (got a little lost coming into town with so many "round abouts"! We checked in easily. The front desk gave us a king room with a sofa sleeper. We figured that's what we'd get and the receptionist was sure to metion "it's what Hotwire reserved for you". I didn't much care if we had this type of room or (2) Queen/Full beds. As long as we had beds. Parking is expensive, but we knew that in advance which is why we opted for Hotewire. We parked the car on Tues and didn't move it until we left on Sat.
I have to admit, by the time we got to the hotel I was getting stressed. It was the last leg of our trip and it's a big city! The hotel was a little more worn that I'd hoped for and truly we just wanted to get check in and to bed ASAP. The next morning we had reservations to tour the White House at 7:30am and I was nervous having a commitment to venture out so early not being familar with where we were going. We walked right out the door and down 15th Street like they suggested, and sure enough we got there! It was a good walk, probably 6-7 blocks. We should have taken the taxi that was at the hotel waiting for business, it would have saved my boys legs! Poor things were getting worn out.
After the White House tour we walked around a bit until we realized we were completely twisted around, even having a map. One reason I booked this hotel was because the Old Town Trolley picked up there in the morning at 9:20, 9:50 and 10:20 and would take you to their "Welcome Center" where you could ride 3 different lines with guides who were VERY good at giving history of the city. In the National Mall we found a trolley ticket booth for these people and hopped on the closest one. What a life saver!!! We rode that thing all day, hopping on and off at various stops. At the end of the day, if you make it back to the "Welcome Center" they will give you a ride back to the hotel. All part of your ticket. This was way more expensive than the Metro, but it was so nice and relaxing. So informative, and such an easy way to travel. We got a 2 day ticket and were taken back to our hotel each night, and picked up there on the morning of day 2. SO EASY!
So for the location of 6-7 blocks from the White House and main downtown area, I recommend it. It has a rooftop pool which was another must for my kids. They love to swim and we did use it. No hot tub though. The hotel sits on a corner, right next to a Double Tree. It's restaurant is actually really good, and kids eat free! Free coffee and teat in the lobby until 10pm, a nice perk! Parking was around $30 a day with tax included. Elevators were a little slower, no big deal to me. Computers were in the lobby for hotel guests. A small gift shop was also there with the basic items you need. Pop machines were reasonable at $1.50 a bottle. The pizza you order for room service from the hotel restaurant was SO GOOD!!! It was $11.95 for a large with whatever you wanted on it. Highly recommend it.
Now, they are trying hard to update putting new carpet in the halls in rooms. Ours had this. We had the granite counter tops in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable as were the linens. The sitting chair and sofa sleeper in the room were icky. Very dirty and worn. Ther was a new LG flat screen tv (Directv). Coffee maker, hair dryer, and shampoo and conditioner provided. You can just tell even with the painting they've done that this place is old. No getting around it. My son found a roach poisen trap glued to the bottom of a table in the restaurant! I saw mice traps in the stairwells. I think they are doing what they can to keep it up, but it was just a bit dingy and "tight" quartered if you know what I mean.
With all this said if I were to go again, I'd probably try another hotel that where they Old Town Trolley picked up, because I'd use them again. But I wouldn't rule this place out entirely. It was safe and ok for us. About 2 blks away there is a Whole Foods store and a CVS. Not much for eating though without a long walk or taxi ride. No Metro close either, you have to walk several blocks.

Room Tip: We stayed in 805 over 15th Street. Pretty quiet.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just returned from a very pleasant vacation in DC and a very comfortable stay at the Holiday Inn Washington - Central/White House.

I arrived late in the evening and was greated warmly by the two staff on duty. Being a Platinum Priority Club member, I was proactively upgraded to one of the two largest rooms (suites), Room 926 (the other being 826 one foor below). In the photos these are the two highest level rooms at the corner of the property. These suites have two bathrooms, as well as a large seating area with arm chairs, sofas and a coffee table. There are also two large flatscreen TVs and a work desk, plus a microwave oven and fridge, but no mini-bar. The bed was very large and comfortable.

The air-conditioning is of the noisier under-window unit type, but it was very efficient indeed. The free WiFi internet was OK. I rarely had any issues with it, though I don't think it offers the "high speed" mentioned. That said, I was able to do everything I needed, expect for streaming video.

The bathroom with the shower/tub is actually the smaller of the two and with very little storage space. The other bathroom, with just a WC and a sink does offer much more storage room in the form of a wide counter. Water pressure is good and the water piping hot. And there was no shortage of towels: 12 bath, 6 hand and 4 face cloths, plus two bath robes.

Depending on who you had in the next room, sound-proofing was good. Only on one night, did I hear those next door, but it was clear that they were talking and laughing at the tops of their voices. The next night, with a new family in the room, I heard nothing.

For those who are interested in hotel security, you'll be reassured to learn that you need to use your room key card to call an elevator and, after 11pm, access to the hotel is controlled.

I ate breakfast and dinner in the hotel's restaurant. Both were always good value for money and very tasty. The breakfast buffet offers a wide choice, though you can also choose from the standard, but extensive, Holiday Inn a la carte menu. Service was generally good at breakfast - just one morning when the staff seemed to vanish for long periods for time, leaving me and other guests waiting. The evening dinner service was always very personable, friendly and efficient. I don't recognise the comment from another guest about tipping. Tips were never already included and you could tip as you saw fit. On a related note, at just $1.50 per bottle, this hotel does not fleece those guests who want to use the vending machines on each floor.

The front desk staff were very friendly and always willing to help. I will single out Shannon for particular praise. A true asset to the hotel. Shannon provided the highest levels of customer care when, during my second night, water started to leak from the roof space above. An engineer was promptly sent up to check things out and I was proactively moved to the other suite on the floor below, Room 826. Shannon also suprised me by providing free breakfasts for the remainder of my stay, to make up for the slight inconvenience.

The hotel is currently having some money spent on it. They are laying new carpets throughout and painting all the woodwork, so - for the moment - you will want to play close attention to the wet paint signs around the building. But none of this work was an inconvenience. Others have commented on the inefficiency of the elevators. While I was there, engineers were working on these.

Some reviewers have commented on the location. Yes, it's a few blocks away from many of the main sights, but if you want to be closer to those, then be prepared to pay rediculously high rates. I appreciated being on the southern edge of the mostly residential Dupont Cirle part of the city. Walk northwards from the hotel and enjoy the criss-cross of shady, tree-lined streets and admire the beautiful architecture of the homes and embassies in this part of the city. There are also many cafes, bars and restaurants in the neighbourhood, if you want to eat out, along with food shops, banks and pharamcies.

When I return to Washington DC, I won't have any hesitation in checking back in to the Holiday Inn Washington - Central/White House.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sliema, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We visited this hotel in July 2012, when the weather started getting hot. The service provided was excellent, the staff was really nice, and the food (both breakfast and dinner) were very nice. The concierge service and cleanliness were really good. The pool was a bit shallow for my taste, but it was still cool to swim with that view underneath you. Having said all of that, the name of the hotel was a bit misleading as it is not as central as one would have thought...getting to the White house took our group 30 minutes on foot and in that heat, and public transport does not pass close to the hotel either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

very nice and everything you can expect from a hoilday inn. The pull out couch bed in the room with the king bed was too soft for the son so asked to switch next night to two queen beds and was accomadated very easily . friendly and helpful staff. Diappointing was the rooftop pool with very limited hrs as did not open until 10 am and closed at 8 or dusk leaving very little or no time to enjoy it. Only other disappoint was the very tight and squeezed parking underground. Location was great and would recommend the trolley tour which picks up and returns you to the hotel.

Room Tip: better view with rooms at front of building
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and for giving us great reviews on our location, cleanliness and service! I am glad we were able to accommodate your request for a room with two beds in order to provide comfort for your family.

I apologize that your experience with the pool hours and parking garage were less than satisfactory. Your feedback is very important to us as we strive to provide excellent guest service and facilities. We appreciate that you have let us know where we can make improvements.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were prepared to give this hotel the benefit of the doubt, even after we arrived and they had no rooms with 2 beds as we had booked. In fact, after a night's sleep on the sofa bed my daughter was happy to keep on using it. We decided to ignore the stains and tear on the sofabed and the splatter of something up the wall. We were even tolerant of the 75 minutes it took for room service to arrive (they lost the order the first time). But when my daughter made a late bathroom visit last night to find a huge cockroach in there, it was enough to make us leave. To be fair, we were refunded for the night in question, but I don't think the staff were really prepared to believe me until they saw the thing themselves. And their assertion that there are far worse pests in the city - like rats and mice - didn't do much to reassure me. Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Unfortunately we do not have record of this incident being reported to managment. We certainly would like to speak with you and look further into this experience during your stay. Please contact us at 202-483-2000.
Bellerose, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We went last week to this hotel, its a very nice hotel, complimentary Newspaper delivered to your door, complimentary coffee in the lobby, complimentary use of two computers in the lobby for internet access, the restaurant on site was very nice and reasonably priced, we ate breakfast there every day, children eat free from the childrens menu, parking on site is not free but reasonably priced for a big city hotel, also has a weight room and a roof top pool, major attractions like the White House and Washington's Monument are within walking distance, many restaurants near by, we would stay again next time in Washington DC.