“Gem of a Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Portland, Oregon
“Gem of a Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife I both have traveled enough throughout the US and Europe to know what type of hotel we like to stay in. Historic hotels are our preference and Henley Park fit the bill perfectly. Located close enough to the 'tourist' areas and the Convention Center/Verizon Center, the ca. 1918 Tudor charm struck us both as the better option over the faceless corporate chains around the area. Check out their website for more historical details.

We'd booked a Junior Suite for what seemed to be a very fair mid-summer rate several months back, only to stumble upon an even lower rate on the hotel's website the week before our arrival...saved $20/night off to a good start! We arrived in late morning on a Wednesday and were able to stow our bags for the day while we headed out for sightseeing. Hot and tired and the end of the day, we returned to check in and were stunned by the excellent room we were given (#811, top floor, corner location). Spacious room, king bed, sofa and several tables, wet bar and a good-sized bathroom. Tastefully decorated and windows all around. Fell in love with the room right away...was tough to leave it after our 3 day stay!

Service at Henley Park was professional and always courteous; no one person stood out, but all were friendly enough and we had no problems whatsoever. Our first night we enjoyed the Blue Bar piano lounge just up from the lobby. It was quiet (i.e. only a handful of patrons), but we found the music relaxing, the drinks good (though pricey, especially for a run-of-the-mill beer list), and the vibe chill.

A couple minor drawbacks: street noise, even on the top floor, might bother some guests. It looked like most of the construction around the block was wrapping up as of late July, but the day to day traffic noise on Massachusetts (as well as the occasional wailing ambulance/police sirens) could disturb a light sleeper. Also, the hotel offers free wi-fi internet, but I found the coverage spotty - for instance I got no connection anywhere in our room, but could pick up a signal in the hallway (sorry to any patrons who saw me lurking near the elevators checking email!). The same could be said for the lobby: I tried to connect in the sunny corner sitting area off the lobby with no luck; internet worked fine, however, in the lounge.

All in all, a lovely place and one we would definitely return to and will recommend. Thanks for completing our great visit to DC, Henley Park!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Spent a couple of nights at Henley Park in July with my wife on vacation.

Positives: Price, charm, nicely appointed and maintained rooms, and the service was adequate.
Negatives: Street noise facing Mass Ave was overwhelming. Don't know if it's better away from the street, but horns and sirens all night long. Seems they could have spent some of the makeover money on better windows. Parking was also bit steep ... ~$30/night and the honor bar in the room always makes me chuckle ... $3 for a 3 cent bottle of tap water. The 1.5 mile trek to the mall is a bit much if you're not in good shape, and it's uphill on the way home.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Central OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed at the Henley Park for three nights while attending a conference for work. It is very close to the convention center (about a block down on the other side of the street) and within healthy walking distance to the other major attractions (White House, Mall, Chinatown, Spy Museum, etc)

The staff was fantastic and the rooms were beautiful. The restaurant was a bit pricey if you're on your own dime, but the food was great. There are plenty of cheaper places within walking distance if you're on a budget.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
LittleBread
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed at the Henley July 2009 to visit the Smithsonian complex. The location allowed us the ability to walk everywhere we wanted to go. DC is clean, friendly and safe. My family and I enjoyed walks in the area well into the evening. The Henley is an older hotel but we found everything to be clean and charming. The moment you pull into the hotel entrance area you feel as if you have stepped back in time. The entry of the hotel and the sitting room are decorated in the era when the building was young, early 1900. We stayed in a Junior suite and this allowed for enough room for my family of four to move about comfortably. There is some construction in the area, but we were not bothered by it since we are early risers. We noticed a fair amount of city noises but then again this is a bustling city and that is to be expected. The detracting points are the lack of ice, parking is not convenient, and Coffee is only served from 5 to 7am in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed in this hotel over our spring break. We were traveling with our 12 yr. old and 10 yr. old. and we were in DC to see the monuments, museums, and sights. We had a blast! We loved walking to the Smithsonian museums and felt very comfortable doing so. We usually hit Starbucks on our way sightseeing. We also had a great breakfast at COSI, which was on the way. We did use the car valet service for our car and that worked out very well for us. Make sure you go into Georgetown to see the University and the shops and to have a nice dinner! This hotel was clean, comfortable and we felt safe. It was charming and we would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

The primary advantage of the Henley Park is its location. It is right across the street from the convention center, and is conveniently at the intersection of the two main Circulator Bus routes. (One route goes from Union Station to Georgetown, and the other route goes from the Convention Center through the National Mall to the waterfront.) We found the Circulator Buses to be very handy and inexpensive and used them much more than the metro. Metro station is about a 10 minute walk away. Art Gallery on the National Mall is about a mile away.

The hotel is reasonably priced by Washington standards. We paid $179 a night for a junior suite, which is a large room with a king bed and a pull-out couch. This is the only type of room that offers two beds. The room was quite adequate, clean and in good repair, with a modern bathroom in very good condition. The pull-out bed was a bit uncomfortable, but not bad, and the King bed was very good.

Hotel staff was helpful, though we didn't ask for much from them.

If you go to breakfast at the restaurant, expect to pay about $15 + tax + tip per person.
One drawback to the location is that there is not another breakfast location very near, though there is a Starbucks 5 minutes away around the corner.
There are a number of good restaurants within a 10 minute walk, in the 7th and G area.

There is a good deal of street noise, but I suppose that's true anywhere in central Washington. It didn't bother me much.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband had a convention to go to and since and I hadn’t been to DC in forever we decided to extend his stay for another two nights and make a romantic weekend out of it. While I’m writing from my personal experience, he called as soon as he got there and said “I think you’re going to like it.” He was right.

I have a thing for historic hotels. They are quirky and have a charm that can’t be replicated in big chain hotels, no matter how many stars you tack on. That being said one of the quirks of historic hotels is that the rooms vary wildly which is why I think there are so many bad reviews. It’s going to completely depend on your room and your expectations.

We got lucky. He was put into a corner room. Just a regular room, but it was HUGE! It was as big as the Jr. Suite we had at the Bellagio – minus the bathroom, of course. It was well appointed with nice window treatments, a comfy sofa and coffee table to relax at and read the paper. One thing that always makes me happy in a hotel is REAL WINDOWS that open WIDE! There was a ton of them too being on the corner. I hate the stale hotel smell. The mini-fridge/bar was a nice touch. The bed was comfy and the room was very clean. It felt homey and elegant at the same time.

The lobby and bar were very classy - not a cheap “hotel bar” feel at all. We didn’t eat at the restaurant but it looked quite nice.

The bartender could brush up on his skills a little bit but he really tried. It was more than worth it to listen to the woman that played piano! WOW! If you go, you will see how very cool it is. We paid for overpriced drinks just to hear her and it felt like a deal.

The staff was pretty good overall. The only interaction I had with them was when I checked in. The desk attendant, while very friendly did not believe I was there to see my husband. She politely asked to see my ID but I never changed my maiden name. She let me call up to his room but he wasn’t there yet. Thankfully I had him call down the night before and leave a note that I would be coming and once she found that she was apologetic. I’m so glad she found it because otherwise I was not getting in. Again, this was all very polite and it speaks to their security.

As far as proximity, it’s right next to the convention center (2 blocks). Chinatown is a 5 minute walk and the mall is a 10 minute walk. I like to walk so this was fine for me. Though the night I wore my “big girl” heels I wished it was a block closer. If you want to be in the thick of something or don’t want to walk this may not be the place for you. If you don’t mind pounding a little pavement, the price of this place more than makes up for it. It really isn’t bad. I walked to Chinatown and the Mall both twice in one day in my comfy shoes with no complaints.

The parking situation is the biggest negative as it usually is for downtown hotels. I forget what the valet charges were but I refuse to valet park. Even though we didn’t use the car once during the weekend, it’s the principal. I was able to park on the side street illegally on Friday and Saturday. Sunday was free parking. I figured the parking ticket couldn’t be more than 2 days valet so I didn’t have much to lose. If you are a law abiding citizen, I really didn’t see any close, affordable parking options.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Henley Park Hotel? Share your experiences!