“Charming and cozy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Henley Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Henley Park Hotel to your Saves list
The Henley Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   926 Massachusetts Ave, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Henley Park Fresh Start!
Ranked #72 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Ohio
“Charming and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed in this hotel over our spring break. We were traveling with our 12 yr. old and 10 yr. old. and we were in DC to see the monuments, museums, and sights. We had a blast! We loved walking to the Smithsonian museums and felt very comfortable doing so. We usually hit Starbucks on our way sightseeing. We also had a great breakfast at COSI, which was on the way. We did use the car valet service for our car and that worked out very well for us. Make sure you go into Georgetown to see the University and the shops and to have a nice dinner! This hotel was clean, comfortable and we felt safe. It was charming and we would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

The primary advantage of the Henley Park is its location. It is right across the street from the convention center, and is conveniently at the intersection of the two main Circulator Bus routes. (One route goes from Union Station to Georgetown, and the other route goes from the Convention Center through the National Mall to the waterfront.) We found the Circulator Buses to be very handy and inexpensive and used them much more than the metro. Metro station is about a 10 minute walk away. Art Gallery on the National Mall is about a mile away.

The hotel is reasonably priced by Washington standards. We paid $179 a night for a junior suite, which is a large room with a king bed and a pull-out couch. This is the only type of room that offers two beds. The room was quite adequate, clean and in good repair, with a modern bathroom in very good condition. The pull-out bed was a bit uncomfortable, but not bad, and the King bed was very good.

Hotel staff was helpful, though we didn't ask for much from them.

If you go to breakfast at the restaurant, expect to pay about $15 + tax + tip per person.
One drawback to the location is that there is not another breakfast location very near, though there is a Starbucks 5 minutes away around the corner.
There are a number of good restaurants within a 10 minute walk, in the 7th and G area.

There is a good deal of street noise, but I suppose that's true anywhere in central Washington. It didn't bother me much.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband had a convention to go to and since and I hadn’t been to DC in forever we decided to extend his stay for another two nights and make a romantic weekend out of it. While I’m writing from my personal experience, he called as soon as he got there and said “I think you’re going to like it.” He was right.

I have a thing for historic hotels. They are quirky and have a charm that can’t be replicated in big chain hotels, no matter how many stars you tack on. That being said one of the quirks of historic hotels is that the rooms vary wildly which is why I think there are so many bad reviews. It’s going to completely depend on your room and your expectations.

We got lucky. He was put into a corner room. Just a regular room, but it was HUGE! It was as big as the Jr. Suite we had at the Bellagio – minus the bathroom, of course. It was well appointed with nice window treatments, a comfy sofa and coffee table to relax at and read the paper. One thing that always makes me happy in a hotel is REAL WINDOWS that open WIDE! There was a ton of them too being on the corner. I hate the stale hotel smell. The mini-fridge/bar was a nice touch. The bed was comfy and the room was very clean. It felt homey and elegant at the same time.

The lobby and bar were very classy - not a cheap “hotel bar” feel at all. We didn’t eat at the restaurant but it looked quite nice.

The bartender could brush up on his skills a little bit but he really tried. It was more than worth it to listen to the woman that played piano! WOW! If you go, you will see how very cool it is. We paid for overpriced drinks just to hear her and it felt like a deal.

The staff was pretty good overall. The only interaction I had with them was when I checked in. The desk attendant, while very friendly did not believe I was there to see my husband. She politely asked to see my ID but I never changed my maiden name. She let me call up to his room but he wasn’t there yet. Thankfully I had him call down the night before and leave a note that I would be coming and once she found that she was apologetic. I’m so glad she found it because otherwise I was not getting in. Again, this was all very polite and it speaks to their security.

As far as proximity, it’s right next to the convention center (2 blocks). Chinatown is a 5 minute walk and the mall is a 10 minute walk. I like to walk so this was fine for me. Though the night I wore my “big girl” heels I wished it was a block closer. If you want to be in the thick of something or don’t want to walk this may not be the place for you. If you don’t mind pounding a little pavement, the price of this place more than makes up for it. It really isn’t bad. I walked to Chinatown and the Mall both twice in one day in my comfy shoes with no complaints.

The parking situation is the biggest negative as it usually is for downtown hotels. I forget what the valet charges were but I refuse to valet park. Even though we didn’t use the car once during the weekend, it’s the principal. I was able to park on the side street illegally on Friday and Saturday. Sunday was free parking. I figured the parking ticket couldn’t be more than 2 days valet so I didn’t have much to lose. If you are a law abiding citizen, I really didn’t see any close, affordable parking options.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

The Henley Park is in a great location at the very heart of Washington, no more than a few minutes walk from many attractions. The lobby, with its pleasant dark wooded interior, looks more like a university college than a hotel. The room was small (mine had no table to work on) and the bath was pretty tiny, but the shower was good and the water was always hot. I liked the bed.

The service was low-key and efficient. I ordered a fresh green salad at 9 pm and it arrived in less than 15 minutes. In the morning I explained to the restaurant staff that I was in a hurry and needed to eat breakfast quickly. They delivered my food inside five minutes and it was excellent.

The rather large drawback was the noise. My room (607) looked out right over the air conditioning unit of a building on the other side of 10th and the din was so loud I barely slept. A colleague of mine in 307 had exactly the same problem. There is no insulation in the rooms, so even the smallest noise carries. Just as I did start managing to nod off I was woken up at 6:30 am (this happened every morning) by a large gang of construction workers and their loudly beeping vehicles.

If this hotel could sort out the noise issues it would be a winner.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We got the AAA price of $89 for 2 weekend nights -hotel is a couple blocks away from the action but thats reflected in the price. Resturant and bar are way overpriced -so eat and drink elsewhere. Beds comfortable so great place to crash after a long day. Would stay again. Might find a parking garage bearby where weekend rates are lower then the $30 vavet.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I stayed at the Henley Park for a conference. They immediately authorized my credit card for 800% the amount they said they would. It literally took days to fix and though one lady at the front desk was very passive and nice, I was finally approached by a bulldog of a lady who told me that if my credit card company didn't fix the issue it was no longer their problem. What??? The Henley Park Hotel errs and lays the blame on my credit card compnay, who by the way was waiting for the hotel to fax a release of the funds. I was treated like I had done something wrong, not like I was a guest who expected to be treated hospitably. Though the hotel is in a good location, the rooms are tiny,tiny,tiny. The hotel is a historic hotel and might look endearing from the outside, the inside halls are tiny and dingy. The hotel reminds me of one of the narrow houses in amsterdam. The view from the room is of the courtyard which is draped in plastic for ???renovations??? There was loud banging all throughout the night as if the kitchen were below us, but it was obviously not open all night. I never found out what the noise was. The power went out on one occasion, and the free internet access is spotty at best. The food was probably the highlight of the stay, and the restaurant staff was very friendly and attentive. And, though the meal for five of us cost three times one night's stay, it was worth it. Due to the way the hotel handled their error with my credit card, I could not wait to get out of the hotel. I dragged my luggage six blocks in snow just to get to my new hotel. I had friends stay farther away at the Palomar for the same price and they were ten times happier than I. When I return this summer, I will not return to the Henley Park Hotel. I prefer to be in a hotel where I am treated like a guest.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
tel aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

it was our first stay in washington, as a part of our 1 month honeymoon at the US.
we ordered a standart room and we got an upgarde when we arrived.
the overall price we paid was very good - less than 140$ including tax per night for 4 nights (thursday to monday) and it included an expensive night as well as cheap nights.
the location of the hotel was good - we walked everywhere on foot - resturants are all around. the central place of the hotel also creates a problem - some noise - it is either u are on a constraction site side or either on a main avenue side - because it is an historic hotels, the windows are not so sound proof - so u can hear cars most of the day.
the service was great - they even called to see if everything is good and if we need anything.
i gave the service 4 because the housekeeping was excelent all days - it was clean but forgot to put all towels 1 day.
all in all it is a nice small hotel, very close to the convention center, and very clean and neat.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Henley Park Hotel? Share your experiences!