“Charming, Comfortable, and Clean” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed
Ranked #65 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Charming, Comfortable, and Clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

A few weeks ago my husband traveled with me to DC for a business trip. We had a room booked at another hotel, but had to make an emergency hotel switch a little after checking in at midnight due to a problem at the first hotel. We looked online and saw The Henley Park Hotel had good reviews, vacancies, and a reasonable price, so we hurried over and checked in around 12:30 AM. Despite the late hour, the man working at the front desk was so kind and helpful and quickly set us up with a lovely room. The room was spacious and clean, the bed was very comfy, and the view was nice. The bathroom was also very clean. The hotel itself has a lot of character – it is very charming. I hope to stay there again sometime.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tom W, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Our Hotel is a Historic Hotel of America, and it does have quite a bit of charm. It is good to hear that the overnight staff was helpful in getting you into a room quickly. I do think we have one of the cleanest hotels in the city. Thanks for the accolades; it is great to be able to share guests’ comments with the housekeeping team. We hope to see you back here soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Henley Park proved to be a charming boutique hotel conveniently located next to the Convention Center where my husband was attending a conference. The room (304) was very small and the bathroom even smaller, but both were very clean and nicely appointed. Although we didn't spend much time in the room, when we were there we had to keep the curtains drawn because the office building next door was so close. After our first night we requested different pillows (ours were much too high for our comfort) and our request was quickly fulfilled. Sadly, our traveling companions asked for the same and were told they didn't have any other flat pillows. We had drinks at the bar which offered happy hour each evening. One morning we had breakfast at the hotel and it was delicious and lovely, but $75 plus tip for breakfast for 4, was on the high side. They were kind enough to store our luggage for us on the day we were leaving as our flight wasn't until later in the afternoon and check out was at 12:00.

Room Tip: Our queen room was fine for a single person, but really small for a couple.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. All of our rooms vary in size, if you need a more spacious room, I would suggest booking a deluxe or a Jr. suite in the future. We do have a limited number of alternative pillows in the hotel. Our Tavern menu does offer something for everyone, we do offer some breakfast specials that are very reasonable priced. Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will visit us again soon.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Henley Park Hotel while visiting DC. It is a classy older place that is in excellent repair and nicely different from the typical modern hotel. It is reasonably close to Metro (3-4 blocks) and Circulator (2 blocks) stops. Our room was rather small, but we did not spend a lot of time there anyway. The front desk staff was more than friendly and accommodating, and on a weekend the price was definitely right as well.

• Stayed August 2012
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. The staff takes great pride in maintaining the building and providing our guests friendly hospitality. Thanks for staying with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The property is in an excellent location within walking distance to Verizon Center, the Convention Center, restaurants and shopping. You will struggle to find comparable quality in the area for $149 per night, which was during a holiday week. The "sites" are a metro trip which has a stop only a couple blocks away.
First impression is not great. It is an older property and shows its age when you enter the lobby. A little dark, somewhat musty and small. The musty smell turned me off from speniding time in the lobby and restaurant. The front desk is friendly enough and helpful with my questions for where to go buy some items and restaurant recommendations. The elevators are small, were very musty and need refurbishing.
Once you get past this, the sleeping room was very nice and comfortable. The king bed had very soft sheets, new mattress, new pillows and was very cozy. The bathroom was a good size with marble, tile, full mirror and nice amenities. Bathrobe, iron, hair dryer were all in the room. The furnishings looked new in the room as well as the bathroom fixtures. FREE internet!!! My only complaint about the room was the small flat screen TV. Not terrible, but I am used to at least 42" screens.
The only food I tried was breakfast which was delivered to my room quickly. They did not cheat me out of a full pot of coffee which so many hotels do to cut costs and squeeze out an extra dollar profit. The fruit was fresh and tasty.
There is a lot of construction across the street that could be a problem for light sleepers and people who want to sleep in. The hotel provides ear plugs as an amenity which shows good management and awareness. Personally, it did not bother me as I'm used to city noise.
I noticed a renovation on the 4th floor while traveling on the elevator and asked a bellman if the lobby and public spaces were being done or if it was just the guestrooms. He said it was just the guestrooms, but he also seemed a little confused at my question.
I would certainly return at the price I paid, but would shop around if the price was much higher.

Room Tip: You can request a room on the opposite side of the construction. Some rooms are quite small. Pay a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. I’m sorry that your first impression was not great. We will investigate the musty smell mentioned. We do have two newly renovated floors, and will have a third one done at years end. We are constantly maintaining the building to give our guests the feel of a historic Hotel. As our TVs are changed out we are replacing them with the larger 42 inch models. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to DC.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed for 1 night at the Henley. Very Friendly staff. Offered us a complimentary upgrade. The King room was very clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on. Had a fabulous sleep. There is fridge in the room. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but we did go to the lounge for drinks. A little on the expensive side. As mentioned in previous reviews, there is construction across the street. Since we were there on the weekend, the construction site was shut down for the weekend. We walked to all the monuments and the smithsonians. Wear comfortable shoes as walking seems to be the best way to get around.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is great you noticed how clean your room was. I enjoy sharing these “clean room” comments with the housekeeping team. We are in a great location to see all the sights in DC. Thanks for staying with us.
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

As long as you don't need disabled access, this is a very nice, and reasonably priced, hotel for you right in downtown DC. It's close to a number of attractions, so a good hotel for walkers. It's certainly not a cookie cutter franchise, and because it is a historic site, retains a lot of the decor of the past, so don't expect a slick "boutique" renovation. However, our room was exceptionally comfortable, although fairly small, and the bed was great. Yes, the pillows were a little high, but didn't give us a crick in the neck, so no problem! And, it was great to get the Washington Post at our door each morning. A nice change from the ever-present USA Today.

The restaurant prices looked a little high for our budget, but we discovered their happy hour at the bar. We couldn't believe the huge "sharing plates" we got for $6 each. Three made too large a meal for two of us. They were excellent, as well as being generous in size. The two people at the table next to us ordered from the restaurant menu, and the food looked wonderful, and beautifully presented as well, well worth the prices that were listed in the menu.

I have to go back for three more days of meetings at the same location, near the White House, and plan to stay at the Henley Park again. I believe we paid about $115 a night, and others at my meeting were paying close to $200.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Massachusetts side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you were able to enjoy our new menu offerings in our Blue Bar Lounge. We have just updated the Happy Hour offerings as well we have added piano music to the Lounge during happy hours Tuesday- Thursday. We look forward to your next visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ill keep it simple.
Room was clean, but tiny.
Our window looked into an office building a foot away. Seriously. I could see what they were doing on their computers!
Staff, awful, except the valet. I asked about places to eat, they Were not helpful. For example, I was directed to china town so I said is it only Chinese food since my son doesn't eat it, her response was thr there was NO Chinese food at all. Would u be surprised to hear that there were Many chinese restaurants. Asked another front desk person in the morning for a breakfast place, didn't know any. They both seemed insulted that I would even ask them a question. Oh and when we tried to call front desk we could never get through.
They nickel and dime u for everything. 1$ for local calls.
They only tell u about valet parking at $39 per night(not including tips) but if u do it itself it's $17.50 though no in out privileges.
This place nearly ruined our first trip to Washington, but in the end I loved Washington. Would not stay here again.
Oh and was woken up by really loud housekeeping as our door was right to where they keep there supplies! Bathroom fan didn't work....
Oh ya fitness room sucked! 2 treadmills and a bike stuffed into a tiny bedroom...
They do give out free water at night. But beware if you don't answer your door they will come right in...

Room Tip: Not on the second floor and ask for a room that does not face the Microsoft building. It is super...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry you will not visit us again. I will share your comments with the staff, so we can be more accurate in the directions we give out to the guests looking for dining options in the neighborhood. We do provide bottled water every evening during our turndown service, I’m sorry you did not hear the staff at the door. I do hope you reconsider and give us the opportunity to showcase our warm hospitality on your next trip to DC.

Been to The Henley Park Hotel? Share your experiences!