“A classy gem in downtown DC” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   926 Massachusetts Ave, Washington DC, DC 20001   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #65 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Sacramento, California
“A classy gem in downtown DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Henley Park Hotel while visiting DC. It is a classy older place that is in excellent repair and nicely different from the typical modern hotel. It is reasonably close to Metro (3-4 blocks) and Circulator (2 blocks) stops. Our room was rather small, but we did not spend a lot of time there anyway. The front desk staff was more than friendly and accommodating, and on a weekend the price was definitely right as well.

• Stayed August 2012
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. The staff takes great pride in maintaining the building and providing our guests friendly hospitality. Thanks for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The property is in an excellent location within walking distance to Verizon Center, the Convention Center, restaurants and shopping. You will struggle to find comparable quality in the area for $149 per night, which was during a holiday week. The "sites" are a metro trip which has a stop only a couple blocks away.
First impression is not great. It is an older property and shows its age when you enter the lobby. A little dark, somewhat musty and small. The musty smell turned me off from speniding time in the lobby and restaurant. The front desk is friendly enough and helpful with my questions for where to go buy some items and restaurant recommendations. The elevators are small, were very musty and need refurbishing.
Once you get past this, the sleeping room was very nice and comfortable. The king bed had very soft sheets, new mattress, new pillows and was very cozy. The bathroom was a good size with marble, tile, full mirror and nice amenities. Bathrobe, iron, hair dryer were all in the room. The furnishings looked new in the room as well as the bathroom fixtures. FREE internet!!! My only complaint about the room was the small flat screen TV. Not terrible, but I am used to at least 42" screens.
The only food I tried was breakfast which was delivered to my room quickly. They did not cheat me out of a full pot of coffee which so many hotels do to cut costs and squeeze out an extra dollar profit. The fruit was fresh and tasty.
There is a lot of construction across the street that could be a problem for light sleepers and people who want to sleep in. The hotel provides ear plugs as an amenity which shows good management and awareness. Personally, it did not bother me as I'm used to city noise.
I noticed a renovation on the 4th floor while traveling on the elevator and asked a bellman if the lobby and public spaces were being done or if it was just the guestrooms. He said it was just the guestrooms, but he also seemed a little confused at my question.
I would certainly return at the price I paid, but would shop around if the price was much higher.

Room Tip: You can request a room on the opposite side of the construction. Some rooms are quite small. Pay a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. I’m sorry that your first impression was not great. We will investigate the musty smell mentioned. We do have two newly renovated floors, and will have a third one done at years end. We are constantly maintaining the building to give our guests the feel of a historic Hotel. As our TVs are changed out we are replacing them with the larger 42 inch models. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to DC.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed for 1 night at the Henley. Very Friendly staff. Offered us a complimentary upgrade. The King room was very clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on. Had a fabulous sleep. There is fridge in the room. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but we did go to the lounge for drinks. A little on the expensive side. As mentioned in previous reviews, there is construction across the street. Since we were there on the weekend, the construction site was shut down for the weekend. We walked to all the monuments and the smithsonians. Wear comfortable shoes as walking seems to be the best way to get around.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is great you noticed how clean your room was. I enjoy sharing these “clean room” comments with the housekeeping team. We are in a great location to see all the sights in DC. Thanks for staying with us.
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

As long as you don't need disabled access, this is a very nice, and reasonably priced, hotel for you right in downtown DC. It's close to a number of attractions, so a good hotel for walkers. It's certainly not a cookie cutter franchise, and because it is a historic site, retains a lot of the decor of the past, so don't expect a slick "boutique" renovation. However, our room was exceptionally comfortable, although fairly small, and the bed was great. Yes, the pillows were a little high, but didn't give us a crick in the neck, so no problem! And, it was great to get the Washington Post at our door each morning. A nice change from the ever-present USA Today.

The restaurant prices looked a little high for our budget, but we discovered their happy hour at the bar. We couldn't believe the huge "sharing plates" we got for $6 each. Three made too large a meal for two of us. They were excellent, as well as being generous in size. The two people at the table next to us ordered from the restaurant menu, and the food looked wonderful, and beautifully presented as well, well worth the prices that were listed in the menu.

I have to go back for three more days of meetings at the same location, near the White House, and plan to stay at the Henley Park again. I believe we paid about $115 a night, and others at my meeting were paying close to $200.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Massachusetts side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you were able to enjoy our new menu offerings in our Blue Bar Lounge. We have just updated the Happy Hour offerings as well we have added piano music to the Lounge during happy hours Tuesday- Thursday. We look forward to your next visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ill keep it simple.
Room was clean, but tiny.
Our window looked into an office building a foot away. Seriously. I could see what they were doing on their computers!
Staff, awful, except the valet. I asked about places to eat, they Were not helpful. For example, I was directed to china town so I said is it only Chinese food since my son doesn't eat it, her response was thr there was NO Chinese food at all. Would u be surprised to hear that there were Many chinese restaurants. Asked another front desk person in the morning for a breakfast place, didn't know any. They both seemed insulted that I would even ask them a question. Oh and when we tried to call front desk we could never get through.
They nickel and dime u for everything. 1$ for local calls.
They only tell u about valet parking at $39 per night(not including tips) but if u do it itself it's $17.50 though no in out privileges.
This place nearly ruined our first trip to Washington, but in the end I loved Washington. Would not stay here again.
Oh and was woken up by really loud housekeeping as our door was right to where they keep there supplies! Bathroom fan didn't work....
Oh ya fitness room sucked! 2 treadmills and a bike stuffed into a tiny bedroom...
They do give out free water at night. But beware if you don't answer your door they will come right in...

Room Tip: Not on the second floor and ask for a room that does not face the Microsoft building. It is super...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry you will not visit us again. I will share your comments with the staff, so we can be more accurate in the directions we give out to the guests looking for dining options in the neighborhood. We do provide bottled water every evening during our turndown service, I’m sorry you did not hear the staff at the door. I do hope you reconsider and give us the opportunity to showcase our warm hospitality on your next trip to DC.
Dundas, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Near china town and all the DC sites, this hotel was a great place to be for a weekend. I paid a little extra and got a suite and I really enjoyed having friends "visit" in the larger room. I had 6 windows in my room and the bed was delightfully cozy. I felt well taken care of in this hotel. It isn't pretentious at all but is luxurious--a nice mix. I enjoyed the breakfast which was somewhat reasonably priced and still high end ingredients and preparation. We enjoyed the bar, too.

I was there recreationally, so I was able to work around the WIFI. It didn't work in my room and was spotty except in the lobby. It was fine for me but would be tough if I had been on a business trip. If you can get it, it is free. One of the staff members told me they are working on it and was genuinely concerned but for the moment it is a challenge.

I read some of the reviews about the street noise from the construction site across the street. It was fine for me and it really didn't disrupt my trip at all. The rest of the hotel completely made up for that for me.

It was incredibly well maintained and was in a fantastic location. Wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else. It is a boutique hotel with both character and style. The staff are friendly but not as well trained in customer service as other hotels. That said, they were kind and went out of their way to be helpful. A little training might help but as I said before, I LOVED my stay here. It was phenomenal.

For restaurants, you are within walking distance of Cuba Libre for Cuban food, Arcadiana for Cajun Food and a quick cab ride to tons of great restaurants. It is a great place to explore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the construction site. Upgrade to a Junior Suite...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manager926, Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your comment about customer service training. We are constantly working with the team to provide the guests an outstanding experience at the Hotel. I am glad you were able to join us for breakfast; we have just changed our menu’s to make it more reasonably priced for our guests. We hope to see you again on your next trip to DC.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel through Agoda (and have used the site multiple times throughout Asia and the USA) so you pay in advance. When we went to check-in firstly we were greeted by a lady with the worst customer service. For some reason she had a massive chip on her shoulder. BUT the problem was when she asked for my credit card. I thought it was to hold whilst we stayed but then she said "sorry your card is declined." My girlfriend and I gave each other a puzzled look and explained we had already paid for the hotel. Not only did she not believe us but she made us go downstairs to use the internet to prove it!! I'm not kidding.

The hotel's internet connection wasn't the best and as a result I couldn't access my Australian based banking site. Eventually Agoda worked and it clearly showed the booking had already been charged. We had to print this and take it back to her. Even with this evidence she still was sketchy about giving us our room keys. She tried to explain that we gave our credit card to Agoda and that just holds a room, it doesn't mean it is paid for. Huh? Even in Asia, where English is a second language, they understood that a pre-paid voucher means just that; pre-paid.

I even said I would write a terrible review on both Agoda and here but she either didn't hear or didn't care. I'm just lucky I had moved money from my credit account to my other account two days ago, otherwise I would've been charged again, and looking through the reviews it seems to happen a lot. I've just finished reading reviews where visitors were double charged and had to fight to get their money back.

To the manager; retrain your staff on how to handle service fundamentals like bookings. And tell them that a good first impression can make someone's stay. We have three days to go, so I hope the place picks up but wow, bad, bad, service. I hope to speak to a manager today.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your first impression at the hotel. I am terribly sorry we did not provide you with the warm friendly customer service we are known for. If you are still staying with us, I would like to speak to you personally. I do hope you can enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Been to The Henley Park Hotel? Share your experiences!